What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Decently priced LED that’ll compete with hps??

Looking to save on power bill obviously. Running 5x 600 hps... trying to find led that will compete closely with a 600hps system.. I know to a point it’s kinda apples to oranges but I’m in a bind here... after a few grows ill be getting into the Optic LEDs but not for another year. Weight over looks at this point

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
What are you DIY skills? You can build lights using top-shelf components for around 1$ a watt these days. Watts per square foot depends on light footprint and the quality of the LEDs being used.

The current standards are 25w to 35w per square foot, with quality LEDs requiring fewer watts. :)

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Perhaps you could use 30% less power, but over a year, I can't imagine there will be any saving.

What is your power bill... $5000 a year? A third of that won't buy the lights.

If you want in, then perhaps light a meter with leds. Dipping your toe, before you jump right in. Then you can buy 400w of something decent, worth keeping. See it in action, and decide from there if 400w can replace a 600

Easy7

Veteran
Nothing compares to hps. Not in penitration. But everyone anymore wants crappy ugly sativas.

Hash is good. Flowers get weak. Too much smoke not enough affect. Hashish is just that good.

I don't like that I just came off a trip feeling and hash helps that go away. But ptsd can always come back. Too much booze does that and it's not even enough booze.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's long been proven that leds way outperform hps straight up, also they're cheaper to run, no need for exhaust fans which might need scrubbing to mask odor and likely to get 5 years without bulb changes or drivers

Contact Amare Technology. His Bar 8 design is very commercial oriented: ask about 25% discount

Koondense

Veteran
Got any pics and numbers to support that?
The specs suggest it's not that impressive.

gladysvjubb

Veteran
All I can say is that it is like supercharging your plants. The light is spread evenly across the fixture, giving a much bigger footprint. For $99 and a 5 year warranty, you can not go wrong. Can't wait for my new unit to arrive. I have virtually doubled my flowering room with the addition of this miraculous light. I will sell my 400w HPS to a guy down the road for $50. Good bye HPS!

St. Phatty

All I can say is that it is like supercharging your plants. The light is spread evenly across the fixture, giving a much bigger footprint. For $99 and a 5 year warranty, you can not go wrong. Can't wait for my new unit to arrive. I have virtually doubled my flowering room with the addition of this miraculous light. I will sell my 400w HPS to a guy down the road for $50. Good bye HPS!

Can you take off the cover & show us what the light looks like, LED's & all ?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I keep looking at £20 ufo's making 12,000 lumens from 100w. Ebay tat. But that price.. wow

As a comparison, the popular 14w general service lamps could be as high as 50% more efficient. So the ufo might be equivalent to just 5 of them. With their track proven results.

It would be great to hang one big light, that laser measured the canopy, and shone down accordingly. I imagine your quite used to hanging a light per meter though. Could you put up with 4? 4 lights per meter, about 120w each. You have seen the 6 in 1 adapters no doubt https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-in-1-Lig...262828?hash=item56c1105e2c:g:mH4AAOSwXIFcbPem
A 10 meter cable with es socket and a plug on https://www.ebay.com/itm/10M-Mains-...hash=item3d723c7e8f:m:mpckEfJ5EoHN8T0p48qBAaw
That's $25 for a 7 lamp fitting. Add lamps, and make 4 such units. $200 job.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Quantum boards woop hps.. i like solstrips as well,,, same tech just samsung diodes..

Other great options..

DIY is the only way though.. osram oslon ssl diodes, cree cobs, samsung boards/strips..

DiY costs vary hugely obviously but equivalent led rigs can be built for the cost of a brand new hps setup... also 400 watts of top led diodes like listed above, not wack low bin chinese tat!!!, will outperform 600 hps easily.

The HPS just has horrible amounts of far red which just gives extra stem, its a poor mimic of the suns spectral output,,it also slightly stresses out plants that drink too much..

Alot of weight in buds is in stems! Hps youre growing thicker chunkier stems to transport all that water but your flowers arent heavier relative to a well applied led light..

If i use a single 400 led rig to do a 600 hps's job ill save 2.4 kilowatts per day per light.. = 40 cents per day..

If i use 4 led rigs it will be 10 kilowatt saving at about $1.60 per day..

A veg example at 18 hours sees us save 3.6 killowatts per day for one light.. around 60 cents/d, on my electricity cost.

Adding, for this simple example, 2 rigs on 18/6 for veg for 30 days ($1.20 x 30 days = $36) plus 4 on 12/12 ($1.60 x 70 = $112) so you will see a saving of $148.

Not fantastic on one grow vs hps but lets bring in some other details to this..

● The average lifespan of a HPS bulb/ballast/reflector is fairly limited with results falling quick with bulb efficiency. Whereas with GOOD thermal management the LED tech i listed will live 10 years before going below 70% efficiency..

Back to our sums

Ill leave it to you to work out how much you spend on new hps equipment and how much loss you estimate through poor spectral lifespan/efficiency..

but running the leds for 10 years solidly till you retire them will save you (10 years x 365 days = 3650 days ÷ 100 days growing time per grow = 36.5 grows with a saving of $148 = $5400.. id imagine in a 4 x 600 hps grow setup replacing equipment over 10 years might cost around $1-2000 so this saving can come up to $6400-7400 over 10 years.

● next is the wasted energy in HPS bulbs in The far red and infrared range which not only harms efficiency but also has unwanted effects on plant growth.

● the Red spectrum carries lots of heat which in many cases means people have to use crazy wattage AC.. with leds i now set up a heater on a thermostat to pin the temp at ideal 24-25 C.. no heat spikes, better efficiency, less waste, better happier flowers..

● the deepred/red is also a security issue as we also know by heating up walls..

Not even calculating how much better peoples grows could be due to less heat stress i think you're saving $1000 a year over all in my example by replacing 4 600w hps for 4 400w top bin leds and running them till the die.

Just my :2cents: as i ponder on it as time goes on.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
the OPs question is too open ended

Certainly not all leds are equal, many are junk but sold at high prices

Initial cost does not take into consideration better yields, bigger buds, more trichs, possibly even faster finish times...

so a $600 led might be a bad price point compared to an $800 led that does all the above