What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Boosting THC% in Coco

I'm currently growing in coco. Plants are healthy, flowers are very frosty and highly aromatic. However, the test results are not what I expected. Most are in the 19/20% some are getting into the 23/24% area. I know for a fact that these same cuts are hitting 3-6% higher test results with a different nutrient regiment.

Could it be that i'm over watering? I have no irrigation so I'm hand watering 2x per day (3gal, 100% coco) and every time I water I soak them until I see runoff. There is significant algae buildup on the pots but no visable signs of over watering stress.

1000W HPS
3gal Coco in smartpots
4 weeks Veg
8 weeks flower
2 weeks flush

Veg+Bloom nutrient regiment.

R

Rab.C

how much water do you give the 3 gallon pots

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I would think it would be more environment related or something in the dry cure process.

What are your temps and humidity?

Wow that's a lot of water. Why not try watering more frequently? 1.25 gal a day in a 3 gallon pot seems like a lot of water.

I would think it would be more environment related or something in the dry cure process.

Wow that's a lot of water. Why not try watering more frequently? 1.25 gal a day in a 3 gallon pot seems like a lot of water.

Temps spike high in the morning (high 80's) as it takes the HVAC system to keep up. Then drop to low 70's as the lights turn off. They stabilize around 77 throughout the day.

The problem is i'm hand watering. If I water once per day, pots are too dry in the morning. Twice per day and i'm using a lot of water. I'm basically flushing these plants with nutrient water every day.

These are the two things I can think of that might be resulting in lower THC tests, but its weird because the flower is frosty and beautiful, and my plant seem to be in near perfect health.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Can't you just water less each time? I don't see the point of flushing every watering. With tomatoes too much water makes them bland.

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
Hey bud, I would highly suggest setting up an automated watering system if possible. Really missing out on the full potential of coco by not doing multiple, shorter feeds through out the day.

Is that something that you can do?

aod

R

Rab.C

this is why my plants aint doing so good i have 6.5ltr pots of coco
and feed em 2ltrs every other day but there dry when i go too feed
them maybe i should give 1ltr a day but there is no run off with 1ltr
i tried it

Hey bud, I would highly suggest setting up an automated watering system if possible. Really missing out on the full potential of coco by not doing multiple, shorter feeds through out the day.

aod

Yeah it's currently getting built but will be another few weeks. I'm just beating myself up over the THC results and I have no idea why they're so low. Granted, I've never hand watered a flower room before so that's what I suspect the most.

Yield is about 1/2 lb per plant
Terps are testing around 1.5 -3%
THC is mostly 19.5 -20.5% with a few that are 23ish.

Here's a pic of my Birthday Cake about to get pulled in a week.

Attachments

• E730D36A-E6F0-4E51-BFCA-D5FAFBCFA8E0.jpg
    E730D36A-E6F0-4E51-BFCA-D5FAFBCFA8E0.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 32

aod

Can't you just water less each time? I don't see the point of flushing every watering. With tomatoes too much water makes them bland.

Not really. I have so many plants, I don't know any other way to water them all uniformly.

Temps in the 80’s especially high 80s will kill your terpene levels and decrease thc levels.

I agree this is true, and i'm working on controlling my environment better, but do you think high temps would affect THC results to that degree?

I run CO2 at 1200-1400ppm and my terps are still testing fairly well at 2-3%.