What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kevin Jodrey & "Scrubbing" Clones of viruses

Darpa

Hello,

I've been watching some videos on Kevin Jodrey. He has been mentioning cleaning/scrubbing clones of viruses/pathogens.

It is only mentioned very briefly. How is this done?

Cleaning or scrubbing clones wouldn't be efficient for the production of virus and pathogen free plants. However, this could be performed with specific disinfection and treatment of plant material through tissue culture protocol.

A wide range of microorganisms (filamentous fungi, yeasts, bacteria, viruses and viroids) and micro-arthropods (mites and thrips) have been identified as contaminants in plant tissue cultures. Contaminant may be introduced with the explant, during manipulations in the laboratory or by micro-arthropod vectors. Contaminants may express themselves immediately or can remain latent for long periods of time. This often makes it difficult to identify the source of contamination. Disinfection protocols have now been developed for a wide range of plant species including those infected with viruses/viroids or endophytic bacteria. They may include the selection of pathogen-free donor plants or donor plant treatments such as thermotherapy. Also microbiological quality assurance systems (e.g. Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point; HACCP procedures) have been adapted to the needs of commercial plant tissue culture laboratories.

Last edited:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Hello,

I've been watching some videos on Kevin Jodrey. He has been mentioning cleaning/scrubbing clones of viruses/pathogens.

Would he be speaking of tissue culture?

This is the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH9sD4g5gUw

Yeah, he's partners in a new tissue culture lab that's producing clean clones from tissue and cleaning up old cuts that have lost their mojo.:biggrin:

I can't wait to score an SFV that's in good shape...

browntrout

Veteran
Yeah, he's partners in a new tissue culture lab that's producing clean clones from tissue and cleaning up old cuts that have lost their mojo.:biggrin:

I can't wait to score an SFV that's in good shape...

Yes, What a tool it would be for old clones. That was my thought.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Yes, What a tool it would be for old clones. That was my thought.

I don't know if it was the same video, but he was talking about cleaning up cookiefams genetics, sherbinski was who he mentioned I think.

Perhaps the old story, "my cut has a virus, should I burn it?" Will be easy to answer soon.:biggrin:

Kevin's videos are an amazing resource. Ten years ago I visited his shop and he was really helpful and answered all my questions and his flower room was just amazing. I've never seen anything like it in person again. (Chaco's was close.)

They had the best prices in the state for flower at their dispensary too.
Very compassionate dude.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
UV light has been used to hold off resistant virus's on tomato's. Not eradicate them, but keep them in check. I image some sort of work along them lines could kill a pathogen, and leave the plant.. capable of recovery.

browntrout

Veteran
I've seen old indoors clones/mothers put outdoors and seems to wake them up a bit in terms of vigor and size of growth. Not sure if it is just light intensity or virus/pathogen shift.

Cannavore

Veteran
Hello,

Would he be speaking of tissue culture?

This is the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH9sD4g5gUw

His hypothesis is that sub irrigation farming methods coupled with probiotic techniques can revitalize old tired clones. I believe now he has moved on to tissue culture though.

I don't know if that's true, I can't confirm it either way without some sort of controlled experiement, but I watched his old videos about this and bought myself 8 sub irrigated planter beds. They grow some of the healthiest plants I have ever grown with minimal attention or input. Even on some of the more harder to grow plants I keep, such as Giesel... She demands extra nitrogen, calcium, and magnesium levels when grown normally in pots, but when she's in a sub irrigated bed it's pretty much auto pilot til shes done. The plants never have a yellow leaf on them, and all the plant material is highly flexible "juvenile" material. No hard woodsy growth, ect.

I took in a cutting of Animal Cookies which had some dudding problems and after a few cycles in a SIP she grew like a different plant.

PDX Dopesmoker

His hypothesis is that sub irrigation farming methods coupled with probiotic techniques can revitalize old tired clones. I believe now he has moved on to tissue culture though.

I don't know if that's true, I can't confirm it either way without some sort of controlled experiement, but I watched his old videos about this and bought myself 8 sub irrigated planter beds. They grow some of the healthiest plants I have ever grown with minimal attention or input. Even on some of the more harder to grow plants I keep, such as Giesel... She demands extra nitrogen, calcium, and magnesium levels when grown normally in pots, but when she's in a sub irrigated bed it's pretty much auto pilot til shes done. The plants never have a yellow leaf on them, and all the plant material is highly flexible "juvenile" material. No hard woodsy growth, ect.

I took in a cutting of Animal Cookies which had some dudding problems and after a few cycles in a SIP she grew like a different plant.

I did one little experiment over the summer with a sub irritated container and was amazed at the massive performance boost compared to watering the dirt from the top.

Cannavore

Veteran
I did one little experiment over the summer with a sub irritated container and was amazed at the massive performance boost compared to watering the dirt from the top.

yup they grow like hydro plants lol in near 100% health in not 100% dialed environments.

old pics

6N6rken.jpg

lJtXyZ1.jpg

TXDwl5Y.jpg

Cannavore

Veteran
Does Kevin (30years) still come to IC Mag? I hope he chimes in about his experiences with sub irrigation! It really opened my eyes to true plant health.

Coots mix + SIP = da bomb

Thanks for everything Kev! Would love to see you on something like The Joe Rogan Experience someday bro.

Dankwolf

Does Kevin (30years) still come to IC Mag? I hope he chimes in about his experiences with sub irrigation! It really opened my eyes to true plant health.

Coots mix + SIP = da bomb

Thanks for everything Kev! Would love to see you on something like The Joe Rogan Experience someday bro.

I run a modified clack- coot s . I am going to have to give it a run or two . thanks for your time cannavore.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There are 4 types of advanced propagation all with unique advantages. The most difficult is protoplast culture & Re-meristemization that requires a great deal of skill to achieve parting cell walls in plants, looking for uncontaminated parenchyma cells to then culture & form a new plantlet from the totipotent tissue collected.

The other types are less complex mechanical production methods & don't require a laboratory & can be done with some reasonably basic kit. (Totally unnecessary for home growers IMHO)

Micropropagation as the name suggests is not small clones but growing up shoot & tip cultures in a sterile environment & is primarily used for microbial removal under stringent conditions. It can be done with RW cubes to limit the bacteria & microbes in the culture medium, agar can also be used.

The reality is you need to send plant material samples for a full analysis. Microbiological & Fungal with a pesticide residue analysis to see what your up against.

Meristematic propagation is tip & shoot culture a method usually used to remove virus, it is dissection propagation technique & requires accurate cuts & optimal environments.

Sub irrigation is like bottom watering. Auto pots are nothing new.

You can achieve this simply with a bucket of water with a hole in it that is made so that water in the runoff tray is halfway up the air slots on a pot allowing wicking up the media.

This sub irrigation planter is $20

You need to wash all the material for cuttings regardless of the prop techniques in a bleach bath before commencing cultivation to ensure that the leaf surfaces have no chance of harbouring dirt or bacteria or yeasts that will degrade all the cultures. If your learning they will be dormant for a long time & unclean propagation material will rot. The timing of this propagation is essential you must choose plants suitable for production with enough plasticity in the plant material that isn't to old so it contains cells performing rapid mitosis.

The guys I can get propagules made from take about 10 days to get roots on any clean material you post them using a combo of meristematic micropropagation, combining 2 methods is the protocol that is most efficient for them to produce mothers from the cleaned explants ready to ship.

They will not disclose their procedures for aftercare or initiation. There are some basic kits to do this for sale like there is Epithon or Ethereal..

Kevin has only managed to get one of the Elite cuttings he has to produce roots so far, he says they have been trying really hard.. The other folks I am in contact with can do any cannabis variety.

There are no ratios to work out in their methodology.. Watching them dissect a propagule & then transfer them to new flasks is interesting but not what I want to be doing with spare time in my life..

Dankwolf

There are 4 types of advanced propagation all with unique advantages. The most difficult is protoplast culture & Re-meristemization that requires a great deal of skill to achieve parting cell walls in plants, looking for uncontaminated parenchyma cells to then culture & form a new plantlet from the totipotent tissue collected.

The other types are less complex mechanical production methods & don't require a laboratory & can be done with some reasonably basic kit. (Totally unnecessary for home growers IMHO)

Micropropagation as the name suggests is not small clones but growing up shoot & tip cultures in a sterile environment & is primarily used for microbial removal under stringent conditions. It can be done with RW cubes to limit the bacteria & microbes in the culture medium, agar can also be used.

The reality is you need to sent plant material samples for a full analysis. Microbiological & Fungal with a pesticide residue analysis to see what your up against.

Meristematic propagation is tip & shoot culture a method usually used to remove virus, it is dissection propagation technique & requires accurate cuts & optimal environments.

Sub irrigation is like bottom watering. Auto pots are nothing new.

You can achieve this simply with a bucket of water with a hole in it that is made so that water in the runoff tray is halfway up the air slots on a pot allowing wicking up the media.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79194&pictureid=1916178&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

This sub irrigation planter is $20

You need to wash all the material for cuttings regardless of the prop techniques in a bleach bath before commencing cultivation to ensure that the leaf surfaces have no chance of harbouring dirt or bacteria or yeasts that will degrade all the cultures. If your learning they will be dormant for a long time & unclean propagation material will rot. The timing of this propagation is essential you must choose plants suitable for production with enough plasticity in the plant material that isn't to old so it contains cells performing rapid mitosis.

The guys I can get propagules made from take about 10 days to get roots on any clean material you post them using a combo of meristematic micropropagation, combining 2 methods is the protocol that is most efficient for them to produce mothers from the cleaned explants ready to ship.

They will not disclose their procedures for aftercare or initiation. There are some basic kits to do this for sale like there is Epithon or Ethereal..

Kevin has only managed to get one of the Elite cuttings he has to produce roots so far, he says & they have been trying really hard.. Folks I been on contact with will do any cannabis variety. There are no ratios to work out in their methodology.. Watching them dissect a propagule & then transfer them to new flasks is interesting but not what I want to be doing with spare time in my life..

Thank you I am studying organic biology at moment and would love to be involved to this existent in the near future. :tiphat:

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hope that you get where you want to be DankWolf. I have had my fair share of experimenting with Meristematic culture. Primarily the critical points to consider when in production are timings from the mother plant to the vessel or the puck & the health of that material. You don't want somebody who hasn't washed their hands taking cuttings.

The physiological characteristics of the propagation material should be taken into account. Following measures should be taken:

Material should be kept out of direct sunlight in the correct photoperiod.

Material should be taken as close in time and space to the operation as possible.

Long storage should be avoided. If storage is necessary, it should be in a cool and moist place.

Prevention measures against desiccation or freezing should be taken during all transport and storage.

The materials should be handled carefully so that material will not be damaged.

Cuttings taken from young plants usually have a much better rooting than cuttings from older material.

Most species have distinctive periods during the year when rooting is best. The period varies with species and geographical area. In general, it appears that anytime shoot elongation is not taking place, is suitable for rooting..

Latest posts

Latest posts