What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bodhi Seeds Tester: Mendo Purps x Sunshine Daydream

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
So terrible news guys, broad mites took over again, I guess only 1 sulfur treatment plus the mites was not enough. Pretty sad, this had everything to be an epic run, but most likely will be scrapped... I'm pretty damn close to cutting everything and resetting the room here... will be a lot of work, oh well...

The good news is that I got rooted clones of most of the phenos, the ones missing I will be taking cuttings. I heat treated all the rooted cuts with total submersion @ 45C water for 5 minutes. Not sure if it was enough, but I will do the same again in a few days and this time I will leave it for 15 minutes.

This should get rid of all the mites... I will setup a grow tent in a different room and will get it rocking soon and hopefully we get to run these plants again.

They are starting to smell real nice, like sweet forest berries, especially one of the purple phenos. I think thats also the one that is missing the clone :( so that one will have to wait another few months for a proper run.

My apologies to the Bodhi fam. Hopefully I can get those clones flowering soon, they been rooted for 2 weeks or so and have a nice root system and were topped and branching well.

So the plan is to let them veg for another 2 weeks or so, heat treat once again in 5 days and pot them to 3 gallon pots and flower. So just a brief delay! :) lol

Was really bummed out today after realizing this round is most likely be a L... Hopefully I can save the genetics and give it another run, this is the most important in my opinion. Soil, and money can be replaced easily! Time is gone, not much to do about it, but hopefully a learning experience out of it.

I will snap some pictures when I get a chance, its hard to find the motivation but I guess i should document the losses too!

Plants actually not looking that bad yet, leafs are definitely starting to get deformed and you can see broadmites everywhere.

Predator mites were useless and a waste of money... was a long shot, worth a try, but realistically a waste of money and time! In my veg tent swirskiis overpopulated everywhere, you can see them by the thousands everywhere on the walls, sealing and everything, but they dont care about the broad mites. Broad mites eating the plants away and no swirskiis there to be found...

Oh well...

Might have to give DWC Aquaponics a try after several soil failures...

Peace :rasta:

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Oh no man!!! Another option I have used successfully against broad mites is a pyrethrum and canola oil emulsion. I used it at half the recommended dosage. Even up to 3 weeks of flower. It kills mites immediately. The only reason I ended up going with swirskiis is because spraying is a lot of work!!

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Hey moses, thanks for the suggestions, I have tried that before I shut down a few months ago, tried everything besides crazy chems... and only thing that worked was the sulfur. Heat treatment with water submersion should wipe them fucks clean. It's easy with the 9cm pot with the clones, however, good luck with them 15 gallons lol. I might try to save the Supertramps and the Chocolope that are on 3 gallon pots. Either way I got clones from them...

Trying to fight these fuckers just gonna bring subpar product that I wont enjoy smoking it. I have enough from last year outdoor to last me another few months, so its not so rush now... I got a new grow tent coming in I will setup in a different bedroom and get the clones going in there till I can clean shop up.

Today or tomorrow I need to do the last round of cloning of whatever female I missed. My 2nd round of cloning was a bust, I skipped on the aloe and ful-power and over half have died already.. the remaining looks ok, but no signs of rooms. I'm probably gonna scrap these over, they probably got broads in them...

I still have a few seedlings I also need to heat treat and move to the other room.

All a major pain in the ass and lots of work, I need to haul over 200 gallons of soil out of the room and bring it down 2 flights of stairs... not gonna be fun lol. Need to let the plants drink up as much as possible before I do that, no way I can carry the heavy pots down, they are easily over 50lbs.

I'm seriously considering trying to run some sort of aquaponics double bucket DWC system... Gonna order what I need and get it rocking this week.

Anyways, the clones are looking good, I think most will survive. I snap the stem of one of them while heat treated so that one is not looking too promising but the rest is bouncing back up!

Last night I was scooping a bunch of fan leafs after the heat treatment and I only saw 1 predator mite slightly moving. All broad mites were dead!!! fuck yea. So at least heat treatment seems to be effective. I will repeat the process for 15 minutes instead of 5minutes in a few days to be double sure.

I will keep yall posted

:rasta:

Minitiger

So terrible news guys, broad mites took over again, I guess only 1 sulfur treatment plus the mites was not enough. Pretty sad, this had everything to be an epic run, but most likely will be scrapped... I'm pretty damn close to cutting everything and resetting the room here... will be a lot of work, oh well...

The good news is that I got rooted clones of most of the phenos, the ones missing I will be taking cuttings. I heat treated all the rooted cuts with total submersion @ 45C water for 5 minutes. Not sure if it was enough, but I will do the same again in a few days and this time I will leave it for 15 minutes.

This should get rid of all the mites... I will setup a grow tent in a different room and will get it rocking soon and hopefully we get to run these plants again.

They are starting to smell real nice, like sweet forest berries, especially one of the purple phenos. I think thats also the one that is missing the clone :( so that one will have to wait another few months for a proper run.

My apologies to the Bodhi fam. Hopefully I can get those clones flowering soon, they been rooted for 2 weeks or so and have a nice root system and were topped and branching well.

So the plan is to let them veg for another 2 weeks or so, heat treat once again in 5 days and pot them to 3 gallon pots and flower. So just a brief delay! :) lol

Was really bummed out today after realizing this round is most likely be a L... Hopefully I can save the genetics and give it another run, this is the most important in my opinion. Soil, and money can be replaced easily! Time is gone, not much to do about it, but hopefully a learning experience out of it.

I will snap some pictures when I get a chance, its hard to find the motivation but I guess i should document the losses too!

Plants actually not looking that bad yet, leafs are definitely starting to get deformed and you can see broadmites everywhere.

Predator mites were useless and a waste of money... was a long shot, worth a try, but realistically a waste of money and time! In my veg tent swirskiis overpopulated everywhere, you can see them by the thousands everywhere on the walls, sealing and everything, but they dont care about the broad mites. Broad mites eating the plants away and no swirskiis there to be found...

Oh well...

Might have to give DWC Aquaponics a try after several soil failures...

Peace :rasta:

Dude.... That sucks. I’m sorry, man.

Just out of curiosity, to what do you attribute the broad mite infestation? How did they get there? Where did they come from? I’ve never had a single problem with pests, so I’m just curious how this might’ve happened. And how you could prevent it from happening in the future. Is it the peat moss you’re using? Are you going into your room dirty? I will say that I never go into my room without washing my hands and forearms and when I actually deal with the plants, watering and shit, I take a shower first.

Having said that, do you mind if I post some of my pics here? I’m probably gonna start a thread on here, too, but I was considering posting pics in your thread, too, until I saw this bad news.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Hey minitiger, def post some pics in here!

I think the broad mites were living in my worm bin... I used the worm castings from it and the rest is history :/

Plants actually not looking so terribly, might even be able to finish this cycle, not sure, we shall see..

I'm leaning towards cyclamen mites since I don't see the burned pistils like broad mites...

Yesterday I heat treated all my clones at 45C for 30 minutes, plants look like shit, I'll be surprised if none of them dies.... Been scooping for a few hours and I only saw 2 live broad mites on 1 leaf so far since the heat treatment. I'm thinking I probably wiped out 95% of them. The plan is to let the pots dry out and then re do the heat treatment and hpoefully Ill wipe em by then, after that Will be using sulfur a few times at least....

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Ok so plants are looking better, i think since I shut down the space heater and temps been a bit lower that have slowed the mites down and gave a chance of the predators to clean up a bit...

Most of them are looking real nice, one or two you can see some damage but they are also looking fine. Sorry I have no pictures but I will try to snap some, been with limited access to a computer for another week or two, so hopefully Ill find some time to update properly.

Two of the plants are still purple... one looks real nice almost red, the smell is very very nice, like strawberries with something else I cant pinpoint it... but very nice!

They are finally starting to bulk up! I think yield should be good, they stretched quite a bit and are stacking nicely! So far the 3 of them on the back container seem to be stealing the show, on the looks and on the smells! #2 might be the keeper.

I lost all my clones on the stupid heat treatment, went a bit too hard lol but not a biggie, I will most likely clone in flower or if that doesnt work out try to reveg!

Anyways, just a quick update, there is hope still on this crop and plants are looking quite nice! :) I guess I got a bit overparanoid the other day lol maybe things werent as bad as it looked.

I also defoliated and lollypopped whatever didnt have visible dense hairs growing. ANd I sprayed very lightly the under canopy with Botanigard! Maybe those things also helped get rid of the mites.

Fingers crossed that I dont jinx myself lol

Peace!

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Things are chugging along, I guess whatever I did took care of the mites! YAY! lol which means we shall have a nice crop of Mendo Purps x SSDD, they look like they need another month at least, we shall see... I just want to note some of the plants are the best smelling herbs I have grown. Especially #2, smells like Pineapple, Strawberry candy, its just amazing, stick-icky-icky resin profile make. A few more lean more on the earthy side, a few on the musky side...

Overall I'm very happy with how they are turning out. The purple one looks real nice too!! They are starting to bulk up and turn a few pistils. I Don't have access to a real computer and this netbook is a bitch to go through pictures and upload em, so pics might have to wait another few days...

The 3 big plants on the back pot are definitely doing a lot better than the 3 on the front pot. I think the ones on the front got a bit overwatered and also were the ones with the worse mite infestation, so that might have caused it the slow performance.

I had to retake clones out of everything, deep into flower, about 5 days ago or so, fingers crossed they will root, especially #2. After that need to to the reveg thing and should be ready to starting growing a nice bush for a lone 15 gallon plant. Should be interesting. #2 also is turning into some real chunky nugs! Plenty of colas, I think it will yield nicely.

Its important to note that each of these pots are under 37w of COB LED power. It's a little bit less than the other cobs in the room, but the plants dont seem to mind a bit...

Peace~!

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Here are a few pictures from around a week or so ago...

picture.php

Mpxssd #2
picture.php

Some Purps
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Peace!

Minitiger

Aww, man, that’s so good to hear. I was feeling real bummed for you, glad to see your back on track.

Interesting pics. I know those pics are from a week ago, but they still look pretty far behind mine, which is weird considering I started flowering after you (a week or two after you, I think). Honestly, mine look like they’re gonna be finished awfully soon, which is just bizarre to me, considering I’ve only been flowering for four and a half weeks. I looked on that other thread and that dude said his looked like they were gonna be done at day 52. Two weeks ago, I was or so. A week ago, I thought they might be done around day 56. Now.... Shit, man, I dunno, I looked at them this morning and thought they might be done in seven weeks, which is crazy. I’m gonna take pics tonight when I water and post them here, just to see what you think.

And I fully agree with you re: the smell. There is definitely a big-time “candied fruit” thing going on with mine that’s very noticeable, along with a little caramel, maybe? Whatever. Definitely a super-sweet smell that I really hope carries over into the flavor once these are dried and cured.

Anyway, yeah, dude, good to see you’ll be finishing this grow. Sometimes I think we underestimate the the power of nature to overcome negative influences (and mites haha). And sometimes I think we may overreact to things instead of just going,”It’ll be fine...” and letting shit take care of itself.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Hey broda, yesterday i had the chance to see your thread and the other one also. Yeah its interesting to see that you guys plants gonna finish so quick, and mine it seems like at least 9 weeks, but like I said before, I did mess you their schedule right before flipping to flower, which I think did slow things down a week at least. They all look great, your other strains are looking nice too

Also temps were low most of the time, which does slow down the plants a bit, and the mite issue probbably also slowed them down. But all in all it is what it is, hopefully I can save the clones and run them again, and we shall have a better idea of finishing times. Which is probably gonna take a bit,since I just had to retake the cuttings a week or so ago in flower, so it will take a bit to reveg them once rooted...

All of my plants this cycle seem a bit slow... I'm just happy I can finish this crop man! I was so bummed out too, I put so much work and effort on this crop, especially after resseting the room and getting rid of 600 gallons of soil. and then hauling another 600 gallons up, besides cleaning everything a few times. I grow in an attic space, so it's not easy bringing shit up and down lol, especially with my bad knees...

Anyways, I'll try to get a nice report some time soon this week if possible! :rasta:

Minitiger

But I think you’re on to something there re: lower temps and slower growth. The last, like, ten days, it’s been warmer here in LA (and by “warmer” I mean 62 degrees instead of 51) the last week or so and I really think that the higher temps are maybe probably causing the Mendo/SSDD’s to start finishing quicker than they ought to. The Nigerian/NL2’s, as well.

My point is: count your blessings. I’d much rather have my temps hovering around 70 degrees or even cooler than the 77 degrees that they are right now. 60 degrees outside my tent means 77 or 80 degrees inside. I kinda wanna slow this down..... haha.

Anyway, just got done watering. I’ll post some pics soon here, if you want.

Minitiger

Here they are, pics taken when I was watering yesterday. I won't lie, I got HAMMERED last night, so these aren't the greatest pics. But they'll do...

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
You can click on Advanced Reply, and then towards the bottom you have an option to Attach Files. Thats the easiest way of doing it.

Or you can go to Forum Albums and upload it there and the copy the URL and paste it in here!

It's a bit of a process... aint gonna lie :rasta:

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Upon inspection yesterday, some of the plants are probably gonna be done in 2-3 weeks I think, we need to see it. I'm guess everything is probably 10 days behind schedule at least.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Hey fellas, a quick update, things are moving along, maybe another 2 weeks I can start taking some plants down. Just a few observations...

The front pot, seems to be producing a lots of small flowers, definitely won't yield much. It could have been that I have overwatered them a bit and that has costed the yield a bit... The back pot seems to be filling up nicely tho, colas are getting fat and there are plenty of them.

The resin profile is so sticky and liquidy, you slightly touch and it just melts into sticky gooey into your fingers. The smells are amazing, #2 still my favorite pheno, with the pineapple/strawberry candy developing a back funk to it... The other phenos are a misture of musk/berry/earth, not bad either... but nothing as sharp and loud as #2...

Here is a few shots, nothing too crazy tho, I will definetly post some more pictures and a detailed update on the phenos comes harvest time... It's hard to get in there and move pots out and inspect plants right now, so it will have to wait another 2 weeks or so for that, sorry

One of the skinny phenos ffrom the front pot

picture.php

Back back shot, think thats #5 pheno

picture.php

And here is my lady #2
picture.php

Minitiger, I'm still waiting for your pics ;) Peace