What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TISSUE CULTURED cause FAIL of TESTS, PGR antifungals etc

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I would like to start a bit of a discussion here and maybe will help some of the friendlys (bubbleman DNA genetics etc) some cash. AND prevent them from lobbying gov to allow chemicals in our smoke.

Tissue culture is cool used in food however as most of you know it uses PGRs/hormones that cause fails on tests. some of the PGRs are in pesticides. Tissue culture uses basically EVERY PGR on the market to be able to grow callus roots stems etc. and often steroids to boost growth and most are again banned in washington oregon canada etc. brass etc that is found in those bad boosters sold behind counter. They also use antifungal bacteria that is cancer causing in there medium to allow for less contams. something that def shouldnt be smoked. and even small amounts of these things have shown to last in soil and from clones of clones.

So in closing I not only think it is a HUGE oversite of these companies or they will want to lobby the gov to allow levels of these chemicals in the plants/flowers...

love to hear what others have to say, but I dont see a way it can be done without potential harm. also unfortuently i think b mans investment was a bit short sighted, not all tech can/should be used in cannabis...

Clearheaded this is a great point and post many in the industry are turning to tissue culture to clean up genetics from disease. Help germinate old seed ect. What many dont understand is once a plant has been exposed to a pesticide or containment it stays and it is past on to clone to clone.I am not sure about seed that comes from the plant but suspect it would.

clearheaded

if its the guy from cali who worked with monster gardens wish i remembered his name but its good as he mixes salts for cannabis specifically. fun to play around with but not super practical by the time you make enough as always loose some and replating loose more loose some while hardening off really isnt saving a guy much space nore time. bonzai a clone in same or less space with same lighting needs.

cleaning up old clones its great but I do not see how it can even be practicle for large operations as time to harden off your not saving space or time from using moms and rooting larger cuttings. great for hard to grow plants from seeds like orchids or canola plant testing of same genetics as cant root cuttings quick and easily from parental stock. just dont see it being of super advantage for growing cycles in commercial ops.

prune

Veteran
What many dont understand is once a plant has been exposed to a pesticide or containment it stays and it is past on to clone to clone.I am not sure about seed that comes from the plant but suspect it would.

Ya, that's just plain old bullshit. Cite a source other than the guy you met at a bar once or some tube video in Latvian...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Ya, that's just plain old bullshit. Cite a source other than the guy you met at a bar once or some tube video in Latvian...

Hi prune firstly i dont claim to be an expert on the topic in fact i have never used it but have been researching it a little as i thought it to be a valuable tool for germinating very old seed.

Before i saw this post i watched a video from Kevin Jodrey who as you know is part of the commercial industry in the US talking about how commercial growers that used Tissue culture to start clones /moms and then took clones from them tested positive to PGR after harvest.

LostTribe

Premium user
Hi prune firstly i dont claim to be an expert on the topic in fact i have never used it but have been researching it a little as i thought it to be a valuable tool for germinating very old seed.

Before i saw this post i watched a video from Kevin Jodrey who as you know is part of the commercial industry in the US talking about how commercial growers that used Tissue culture to start clones /moms and then took clones from them tested positive to PGR after harvest.

I read that Kev was the one using TC to clean up old genetics.