What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to know when to stop feeding before harvest?

bean82

Hey all

I'm growing some bagseeds (supposed to be from chunky cheese). I switched to 12/12 app 47 days ago, and the girls showed their first pistils app 33 days ago. From what info I can find, they're supposed to flower for about 56 days...

What signs do you guys look for, to know when to stop feeding? Just the trichomes starting to cloud up? And if so, at what clear/cloudy ratio do you stop feeding?

Comments much appreciated! :rasta:

Edit: I don't even know if I posted this in the right section. Please move, if there's a better suited place for my question.

W

willyweed

what i do it look at the plant with a cheap microscope brought on e-bay for 3-5 dollars x30 x60 scope and look at the little hairs. they will look like tiny hairs with tiny balls on top .3 stages to look for are clear balls misty balls and red balls i try and wait for 80% cloudy and 20%red but you can harvest any time after they go cloudy .the longer you leave them the more couch lock effect.(locket to couch sofa) but dont leave them too long 7-14 days after they go cloudy would be the latest to leave it depending on what plants you think you have ! if you have any photo's of the plant ,put them up on this site and people here would have a good idea as to what they are and how long approx to wait.good luck .willyweed

bean82

Hey Willy, Thanks for your input. I do think you're missing my point, though. I'm with you on the clear/cloudy/amber trichs. I do have both a 30x and a 60x scope, and the trichs looks mostly clear on the few plants I checked. Will be checking all 16 tomorrow.
If you wanna check out my plants, just click the link in my signature.

What I need advice on, is when to stop feeding the plants nutes, and just switch to ph'ed tap water... I mean, if you want to water for 2 weeks with no nutes, and aim for 20-40% amber trichs, do you stop feeding nutes when the trichs are 50% clear and 50% cloudy? Or when you see the first amber trichomes? I've had a hard time finding an answer browsing/searching the site...

W

willyweed

wait until they are all cloudy then just reduce the nutes 25% per feed if feeding 2-3 days ish should be fine

festerous

Veteran
I would say start a two week flush in about a month. I prefer my buds to be fully ripe at harvest time if it is too couch lock i simply choose another strain. On most strains i start flushing when about 60% of the hairs have turned red.

bean82

Willy: Noted. I will try that, though with ferts at 0%. Read both pors and cons for feeding just water, for the last 2 weeks.. Really don't want no left over chem ferts in my buds.

festerous: do you mean the pistils? You can't count on the colours of the pistils, to tell you when the plants are ready.... That's what I've read everywhere, and I can see it on my own girls. I have one where the pistils are turning colour, but the plant is far less mature than some of the other girls, that are sporting 100% white pistils. Always go by the look of the trichs!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Only way to tell for sure is to run her a few times.

One of the reasons it takes a few runs to dial in a new strain or room. Good things take time. Would love a time-stamp on the outside of each seed though, ya know? lol

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

bean82

Hydro-Soil, Timestamps would be awesome! Or maybe even af built-in countdown timer on the main stem of the plant ;)

I do hear what you're saying, though. Trial 'n' error!
Thank you for your input!

festerous

Veteran
Willy: Noted. I will try that, though with ferts at 0%. Read both pors and cons for feeding just water, for the last 2 weeks.. Really don't want no left over chem ferts in my buds.

festerous: do you mean the pistils? You can't count on the colours of the pistils, to tell you when the plants are ready.... That's what I've read everywhere, and I can see it on my own girls. I have one where the pistils are turning colour, but the plant is far less mature than some of the other girls, that are sporting 100% white pistils. Always go by the look of the trichs!

Here is a thread by Spruce Zeus that details a different perspective.
http://www.rollitup.org/harvesting-curing/210501-zeuss-take-harvesting.html

Last edited:

bean82

festerous: OK, I'm with you now. Great reading in that thread!
I completely agree that there are more factors than just the trichs. I do have a couple of grows under my belt, but only 1 indoor. Didn't have a scope back then, and harvested based on other factors than the trichs, such as pistils and ripeness(probably also lack of smoke).
Since then, I've just been reading/hearing A LOT of people say to go by the trichs, and when I look back on the pictures of the harvest, it sure looks like I chopped too early... So I just really want to be sure, this time around.
It really makes sense to not just go by one factor, but consider them all. I just thought trichs was the most safe to go by. I'll start looking at "the whole picture". Your 1 month advice has been noted!
Thanks for contributing!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Harvesting at the right time is important. I dont harvest anything until I see the plants are in senescence. I also think running the strains multiple x will reward your efferts. By the time my plants are harveted(most strains)the Leave's will be fall colors with some falling off. Not all strains will show the colors(GSC)these plants leaves will stay dark almost black with some reds mixed in. My Keeper of brotherhood OG will not go yellow after 2 weeks of plain water...

When I know its time to start the flush is by looking at the plant mainly the bottom. This part of all plants mature bit slower.. If all of the Pistils are colored it's time to start your flush. Every week do a tric inspection harvest when your satisfied with the ratio you want clear/cloudy /amber..This determines how much couchlock you want.

Clear= Up high exiaty inducing
Cloudy=well gounded stone can be racy or sedative depends on strain or mix of clear/cloudy.
Amber= Sadative

I like mine at 80/20 Cloudy/amber..No clear heads for me:)

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no problem im sure there are many that do it diferantly. There is no 1 way of doing it.. Find what works for you ..

bean82

Yeah, I know. It's just really nice to have more than 1 guys oppinion. I value all the different input, I can get! It's great help for a rookie like me!

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I start my 2 week flush when i have almost all cloudy trichs & a few amber . by the time the flush is done & i harvest .. i have about 20% or more amber trichs . & by the time the flush is done all the fall colors are coming through on the fan leaves & most of the bottom fans have fallen off .

DSCF0526_zpsaa9b820e.jpg

jm420

Veteran
i do pretty much the same as DB then a 10day- 2week flush with flora clean and there pretty much where i want them

and like hh said some will never show fall colors

i'm qouteing a member whos name i cant recall at the moment
but basically "If you think there done wait another week"

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hiya,,,just as medmaker and others have put it above,,trics checked every couple of days and plants should be "yellowing off",
pics below is of my present run at wk10 with 5-7 days before cut down after a 2-3 wk pure water flush,,good luck,

peace and regards s2:tiphat:

Last edited:

bean82

Thank you for the input, s2!

Keep them experiences coming guys! Bet there's alot of rookies besides me, that could benefit from reading your posts!