What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"spinning out" GD babies? help

derail

hello. i m a super newbie to this site, and about 4 crops under my belt, so kindofa newb there too. and i use soil

anyway, i recently got some grand daddy babies from a friend. after i got them home i realized that something wa sway weird about these. they had full root, were very tiny still, and had tiny little buds on them. turns out these guys cut there babies in like week 2 of flower. then, they " spin them out", reverting them back to veg cycle. i ve been doing this for about 3 weeks now under 18-6 lighting. they went thru some really shitty stages, all the while being supper green, they looked like really good tomato plants!
sprouting mutant leaves everywhere. now the serated normal leaves are coming thru and some of them appear to have found themselves.

has anyone ever heard of intentionally doing this to a plant?

they claim it makes the plants super bushy and stocky. and i must say there are an awful lot of little branches on some thick stalks now. i m basicly riding this out on the hopes that this guys tellin the truth. the people at my local hydro shop say its a waste. and nobody i know has ever heard of such a thing

any input?

Last edited:
R

Rysam

I usually cut my clones in 2-3 weeks of flower with no issues. does it make them bushy and stocky?, Not in my experience. I do it to slow the rooting time because of my small veg area.

reckon

what you are describing is classically normal plant behavior

when you start to flower, there is a hormone that rises to a critical level and triggers flowering, this hormone is DE-ACTIVATED by light, so when you take a cut into flower, and "re-veg" by increasing the day length, the plant goes from veg, to flower, and then BACK to veg, which is completely non existent in nature,....so the plant does a "system reset" of sorts, and you start seeing weird misshapen leaves, and single leaves.
if you look carefully, you can see the growth going from 5 and 7 bladed leaves, to 5, then 3, then singles,....then she'll make doubles, and triples, and finally back to normal 5,7, and 9 bladed leaves.

nothing to worry about, keeps the nutes coming, keep the PH steady, go with the LONGEST DAY LENGTH you can to speed up the "reset", and you'll see they'll revert back to normal veg growth patterns.

GD grows PAINFULLY SLOWLY,...so pull up a chair, and get something to read, it'll be a while longer than any other strain you've grown. (but TOTALLY worth the wait for the smoke you'll get)

swyork5

they come back

they come back

My last crop had the same thing happen. I had to take some clones after the started to flower for sexing purposes. They were mutant single leaves until i put them under my metal halide for 10 days. They are are normal after that and are now nice and thick and bushy. I am 23 days into flower and everything is perfect. Also after they were under the MH bulb for ten days I took clones and they are all normal. Hope this helps.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The structure of the plant is much more determined by genes than by cultural parameters. If it's genetically 'bushy' almost nothing will make it 'stretch'. Usually, when there's not enough top growth happening, it's because there's not enough root growth going first. If you encourage rootgrowth by repotting, you'll see new, 'fluorescent green' growth soon after.

derail

thanks everyone for the input. i can sleep a little easier now. i have them under 2 1000w and they are coming thru nicely now. some faster than others. and for the record, when i first got them i hit em lightly with sensi a an b, and they burned real bad and didnt grow at all. then a started feedin just ph'd water and that got them motivated. i m givin em nutes now so i guess i m good now. seems like a huge waste of time tho, i ve got about 4 weeks into veg now, and i ll probably giv e another week for the others to catch up. oh well ill have some solid ass gd pretty soon.

this forum is awesome. thanks alot everyone. i m a lurker for sure now

DankSide

definitely, theres nothing wrong with taking clones a couple weeks in - and lots of growers will do this to make sure they're cloning fems. Takes an extra few days to root and there isn't really any benefit to it unless you need to slow your production down or nail which plants are the girls.
Some will do 12/12 from seed to weed out the boys early and then reveg the girls as well, but no great benefit is had by revegging clones in flower.

I've seen clones taken early in flower from lots of different varieties. Some have no issues, while others I have witnessed never revert back to their vegetative stage. Some varieties begin to show characteristics(or mutations) in their growth structure that were otherwise unexpressed, and fully undesirable. Taking clones from these though, strangely enough, seem to produce unstressed, healthy plants.

Fiber29

thanks everyone for the input. i can sleep a little easier now. i have them under 2 1000w and they are coming thru nicely now. some faster than others. and for the record, when i first got them i hit em lightly with sensi a an b, and they burned real bad and didnt grow at all. then a started feedin just ph'd water and that got them motivated. i m givin em nutes now so i guess i m good now.
seems like a huge waste of time tho, i ve got about 4 weeks into veg now, and i ll probably giv e another week for the others to catch up. oh well ill have some solid ass gd pretty soon.

this forum is awesome. thanks alot everyone. i m a lurker for sure now

It kinda is a waste of time. To get fully situated back to veg mode takes at least a couple of days maybe more depending on strain and growing conditions.

Latest posts

Latest posts