What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New grower looking for advice

The strain is important too, that is why most seeds are hybrids, why a seed place goes through all the trouble to breed them so they will be hybrids. This way a mixed plant gives benefits of an up high, and low profile somewhat plant.

What you do is take a few of the seeds and grow them under a low watt florescent light (that bulb at the hardware store that twists in many circles) in a closet. You want it to grow slow so it has many branches, and the sm. watt light bulb makes that possible. After it gets a foot or so tall it will show it's sex.

When you cut clones from it, they will all be not just female, but also of the same growing height; later on you will see this is required for your equipment. Being the same height as you mentioned is an advantage when placing them all under that same light (imagine having plants all different heights, a clone from "one seed" will all be same hight).

Since you are vegging right now, you could clone and start your grow with plants all of the same characteristic height.

If you take the clones straight to a flower light, and skip the veg stage then the plants will further more stay shorter in your grow. Using enough light say a 400 watt HPS or MH bulb, and keep it just inches away from the top the canopy then this will prevent unnecessary stretching. The plants wants enough light (not enough then they will grow quickly "stretch" to reach it), and there are charts that show how many inches of light travels until it is no longer the full power of the sun. I have a few of these charts in my picture gallery on this site.

She is probably more afraid of the smell than anything, and you want to skip the vegetive stage anyway. Plants in vegetive stage smell (mainly tough it dramatically increases their height). You probably stand a greater risk with smoking and getting caught than you would with a small area tucked in the back of a bedroom.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
She is probably more afraid of the smell than anything, and you want to skip the vegetive stage anyway. Plants in vegetive stage smell (mainly tough it dramatically increases their height). You probably stand a greater risk with smoking and getting caught than you would with a small area tucked in the back of a bedroom.
Be careful. Some strains are extremely loud (smelly), even with very small plant sizes. Happy cannabis plants reek in flower, the vegging plants give off a vegetative smell.

If stealth is your goal, focus on odor control to stay out of trouble.

The 4 L's
- Don't Tell
Don't tell anyone about your grow, ever.
- Don't Smell
Letting people smell it breaks the don't tell
- Don't Sell
People aren't completely stupid and eventually it breaks the don't tell
- Don't Yell
Drama people in the house or next door brings unwanted attention, which can break both don't tell and don't smell. Police break in the wrong address all the time.

:tiphat:

Yeah it is hard to give advice to another, and it is easy for a person to come in and disrupt a person just trying that person being friendly with another. No, the vegetive smell is very strong and what most are concerned about, but what concerns me is I gave you a bunch of information in a lotted amount of time, and all of it can be expanded. I think a senior member would acknowledge that and apreacite anyone coming here and helping out another. I wrote a post a while back "do women get as high as men", and another senior member came in right after me.My recent post was from a medical journal which was interesting as can be, and deserved an intelligent reply.. His comment ten minutes later was that he was going to ask a transvestite what they think. So good luck to you man, not with the grow, but getting nice people to help you out.

Puff McDank

Yeah it is hard to give advice to another, and it is easy for a person to come in and disrupt a person just trying that person being friendly with another. No, the vegetive smell is very strong and what most are concerned about, but what concerns me is I gave you a bunch of information in a lotted amount of time, and all of it can be expanded. I think a senior member would acknowledge that and apreacite anyone coming here and helping out another. I wrote a post a while back "do women get as high as men", and another senior member came in right after me.My recent post was from a medical journal which was interesting as can be, and deserved an intelligent reply.. His comment ten minutes later was that he was going to ask a transvestite what they think. So good luck to you man, not with the grow, but getting nice people to help you out.
I like the clone idea. Thanks for the info.

Puff McDank

Be careful. Some strains are extremely loud (smelly), even with very small plant sizes. Happy cannabis plants reek in flower, the vegging plants give off a vegetative smell.

If stealth is your goal, focus on odor control to stay out of trouble.

The 4 L's
- Don't Tell
Don't tell anyone about your grow, ever.
- Don't Smell
Letting people smell it breaks the don't tell
- Don't Sell
People aren't completely stupid and eventually it breaks the don't tell
- Don't Yell
Drama people in the house or next door brings unwanted attention, which can break both don't tell and don't smell. Police break in the wrong address all the time.

:tiphat:
yea nobody will know about it. We do have a pest control person coming in a few days and he will definitely see the tent when he goes in the garage. I’m thinking of temporarily turning the exhaust fan off and covering the tent with a sheet or something. He won’t be here that long. I plan on buying some ona as well.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Yeah, probably a good idea to seal off and cover the tent.

Chilly Willy, I personally don't know what you're talking about. Though the plants do produce a smell during vegetative growth, it's more along the lines of alfalfa and other grasses. The funk in flower ranges from none, due to genetics or improper flowering environment, to extremely aromatic. As an example, I've had 2 ECSD plants, only 2' tall, smell amazingly strong 100 yards away and outside the house it was growing in.

Terpene production during flower is capable of significantly more aroma than veg.