What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

topping and training for outdoor

914safbmx

gonna do my first real outdoor grow this year. started growing indoor with bottled nutes then switched over to organic super soil and now i'm feeling ready to build a badass soil for 100 gals this season. only thing i'm curious about is how you guys approach training your plants for these big outdoor runs. inside i've always topped and then tied em over on a 45 degree angle same day then scrog them a few weeks later. easy as pie. i'm thinking for larger scale i'll top em later, like 6 weeks in. let em get pretty tall first. then soon enough i'll get em outside into their final pots and tie em down on a 45. or maybe just cage them and keep topping? any advice appreciated!!

Its tough if they are guerilla, dont want them getting too bushy and ya dont want a christmas tree.

Imo, only top the top in late july so the lowers have a better chance.

Helps avoid one huge top also, risky for bud rot.

U

Ununionized

Try to find trees you can drag up, to lay your plants down and tie into, if it's not in your yard.

Cut a couple of medium size sapling trees and let the leaves fall off. Lay your plants over, trapping and tying your plants down running along the downed saplings.

You cant do it everywhere but it saves some work when you can.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

If they are in pots, I think it might be helpful to turn the pot about 90 degrees once a day.

That way all the buds get sun-shine on most days, which is close enough to sun-shine every day.

Otherwise, the branches that get the most sun will grow big, and the shaded buds will be stunted.

Latest posts

Latest posts