What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is a better name for these type of genetics??

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Strains which need only 4 hours of dark to trigger flowering.

They're not "Autoflowering," since they continually veg under 22-24hr lighting. They're not "Early Flowering," because the term is already used for strains with short flowering times.

Is there an appropriate term out there? Short photo? Long day? Low dark? What's the best way to get the term into regular use?

WelderDan

Veteran
Short photo period is the correct term I believe, but I wouldn't stake my life on it.

M

metsäkana

photosensitive? here people call them earlies witch is confusing
semi auto i think can be some autoflower and some are regular 12/12 or some autoflower and some are 'photosensitive' some of photosensitives can be also triggered to flower by root stress but if you put them outside they will go back to veg in spring north latitudes where sunlight is like 18-24 hours a day. in north 60 they need to start flower some where around 16-18hours daylight that they will finnish there are faster and slower ones..

super-auto i think is just big autoflower but there might be some auto genes in photosensitive ones too witch make them semi-auto i think :D :D

if that make sense lol im bit hangover and stoned

also you can clone a ''tru earlie'' '' photosensitive'' and clones get about big as small autoflowers or medium autoflowers

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Short photo period is the correct term I believe, but I wouldn't stake my life on it.
Really good suggestion. If it is, there aren't a whole lot of folks using it. Sounds good to me, yet searches bring up nothing related. (site:icmag.com short photo period) Pulls up a lot of DJShort and references to 11 hrs of dark being 'short.' lol :)

Hrmmmmmm

Douglas.Curtis

I think folks use semi-auto
Yes, I've seen this as well. The issue is they're not auto at all. As mentioned, given 22-24hr lighting they continually stay in veg.

It's the most often used term, with several rather detailed discussions on why it's bad terminology.... the cornfusion rums deep :)

Douglas.Curtis

photosensitive? here people call them earlies witch is confusing
semi auto i think can be some autoflower and some are regular 12/12 or some autoflower and some are 'photosensitive' some of photosensitives can be also triggered to flower by root stress but if you put them outside they will go back to veg in spring north latitudes where sunlight is like 18-24 hours a day. in north 60 they need to start flower some where around 16-18hours daylight that they will finnish there are faster and flower ones..

super-auto i think is just big autoflower but there might be some auto genes in photosensitive ones too witch make them semi-auto i think :D :D

if that make sense lol im bit hangover and stoned

also you can clone a ''tru earlie'' '' photosensitive'' and clones get about big as small autoflowers or medium autoflowers
See how confusing the whole subject has become? lol :)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I call them Semi Auto...

Why?
Because anybody that pops those beans under a normal vegetative light cycle (with a dark period) will experience auto flowering type characteristics. It's likely that one could produce autoflowering lines from this type of starting point.

When I see the term 'sensitive' I think "easily stressed"... In this case, via photoperiod.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
What variety is this you speak of ? One that 4 hours of dark triggers flowering, you have my attention, lol.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've got a cross, DTOG, that displays similar characteristics in 25% of the offspring.
I call it Cherry Berry. It looks like this...
Greengenes Cherrybomb crossed into Malawi (Cherry Malawi) made into F2s then crossed to Joeyweeds Sugarberry (male).

Now I'm not sure what causes this phenomenon (auto) to happen being I can't seem to find autos anywhere in the lines used. The seed is also at the F1 (poly x poly) stage so that throws my thinking off even more.

brown_thumb

I've had some issues with non-auto seedlings going into very early flowering (probably my fault). Friggin' LOLLIPOPS!!:mad:

I'm wondering if it would prevent early flowering if one starts seedlings at 10/14 the 1st week and adds 1 hour of light every week until 16/8 is reached. That's a six week period of time to reach 16/8. Then, to flower, either switch immediately to 12/12 or begin a reversal of the lighting hours, decreasing 1 or 2 hours at a time until 12/12 or 10/14 is reached.

Douglas.Curtis

Strains I've heard of with these traits in the pool were Early Skunk(edit: which is incorrect) Auto Affie, Brickland and Guerilla Gold. That was a few years ago, no idea what the sources today would be.

Perhaps someone else knows and will be able to help out here. :)

Douglas.Curtis

I've had some issues with non-auto seedlings going into very early flowering (probably my fault). Friggin' LOLLIPOPS!!:mad:

I'm wondering if it would prevent early flowering if one starts seedlings at 10/14 the 1st week and adds 1 hour of light every week until 16/8 is reached. That's a six week period of time to reach 16/8. Then, to flower, either switch immediately to 12/12 or begin a reversal of the lighting hours, decreasing 1 or 2 hours at a time until 12/12 or 10/14 is reached.
These genetics would flower with only 4hrs of dark, so the entire schedule would support flowering.

Perhaps some of your plants were this type. Vegging at 22/2 will weed out any auto flowers... eventually. Test the rest at 20/4, After you clone them. :)

M

metsäkana

early skunk dont flower in north60 it need 12/12 or MAybe 13/11

Strains which need only 4 hours of dark to trigger flowering.

Is there an appropriate term out there? Short photo? Long day? Low dark? What's the best way to get the term into regular use?
Technically, they should still be classified as short day plants as the definition is: "A plant that flowers only after being exposed to light periods shorter than a certain critical length".

Typically we use 12/12 for flowering cannabis as it guarantees flowering in almost all plants. A lot of strains don't quite need 12 hours of darkness to flower however, and most will flower at 11 or even 10 hours of dark.

Flowering with only 4 hours of dark is definitely an unusual case. Does this plant make proper buds which ripen under this light regime?

Douglas.Curtis

Technically, they should still be classified as short day plants as the definition is: "A plant that flowers only after being exposed to light periods shorter than a certain critical length".
Yes, however they are significantly lower in dark requirements than most strains.
Natural high said:
Flowering with only 4 hours of dark is definitely an unusual case. Does this plant make proper buds which ripen under this light regime?
Yes, indeed they do. :)

Yes, indeed they do.
smile.gif
Interesting. Raise it at 24 and then put it out when you want it to flower.. I want one.
smile.gif

brown_thumb

These genetics would flower with only 4hrs of dark, so the entire schedule would support flowering.

Perhaps some of your plants were this type. Vegging at 22/2 will weed out any auto flowers... eventually. Test the rest at 20/4, After you clone them. :)

They weren't supposed to be. These are all feminized photoperiod type... four different strains.

M

metsäkana

i have had only regular males photoperioid start to push males balls and open them in first 2-3weeks from seeds same as semi-autos or autos not seen females do this yet from regular photopacks. on 18/6 veg

last that did this was sour lemon og... emerald triangle

Last edited: