What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

strange oil slick look on top of slabs?

Hey wizards out there, what could be causing this oil-slick like shine on top of slabs sometimes? Kinda looks like when oil sits on top of water that weird shine. Could this be from not dewaxing? Any info will help thank you!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey wizards out there, what could be causing this oil-slick like shine on top of slabs sometimes? Kinda looks like when oil sits on top of water that weird shine. Could this be from not dewaxing? Any info will help thank you!

Any possibility that it's vacuum pump oil from a back flow?

Probably not. hopefuly not. it appears on slabs on every rack from the same pour. never had back flow before. why would it start?

when i used to open blast i would fish out the fatty clumps while it was on the hot plate. i noticed the weird shine when i didnt fish out the nasty clumps. Now that i use a closed loop and after distilling my solvent i see the weird shine/slick on the slabs. Im not dewaxing in my closed loop. Could this be the issue?

prune

Veteran
This might not necessarily be some sort of toxic residue, I have seen similar optical effects on sheets of stained glass, hard candy and other things that escape my recollection on a Friday night...

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Probably not. hopefuly not. it appears on slabs on every rack from the same pour. never had back flow before. why would it start?

Back flow is usually from forgetting to close the valve before shutting off the vacuum pump.

How many runs on the system before it showed up?

My valve turning is on point lol i make sure of that. Its been on most runs material from different sources. I honestly think its from not dewaxing. The finished slabs r really nice color n terps but that awkward shine is buggin me. ill just bust out my dewax column n the dry ice n compared

Ive noticed it more once i started leaving the clumps. I called it the “ghetto dewax” for open blasting. Now that im all closed up i cant fish them out, I think its the fats and lipids hangin out. My gas is not chilled eaither. Im sure all of these play an important factor

sodanksodank

Was your material machine-trimmed? If so they coated the blades of the machine with some sort of oil and im pretty sure thats what youre seeing

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive noticed it more once i started leaving the clumps. I called it the “ghetto dewax” for open blasting. Now that im all closed up i cant fish them out, I think its the fats and lipids hangin out. My gas is not chilled eaither. Im sure all of these play an important factor

What gas are you using?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Was your material machine-trimmed? If so they coated the blades of the machine with some sort of oil and im pretty sure thats what youre seeing

A good point. What is the material source?

prune

Veteran
beyond my initial holiday inn observation, google leads you to "thin-film interference" -simply light refraction on a layered surface. in most likelihood all-natural and non-toxic.

Sobelivin

This happens to me. I think it’s from not cleaning your CLS and/or lines before first time use. I suspect it’s manufacturing oils that were present in the lines or fittings, and they’re now dissolved in your solvent. As time went by I noticed it was depositing less oil on my slabs

Latest posts

Latest posts