What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MotherLode Gardens 2017

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
selecting two individual parent plants instead of doing an open pollination means you are isolating traits, which is good for line breeding but not for preservation. In preserving the AOG line i didn't want to forget/abandon/neglect any genetic combinations so i chose 3 very different females and two males. I would have even used more males but other people really wanted them.

B

BAKED_BEANZ

did you keep the seed from each AOG female seperate ? i,d love to see your female choices ? they were from last season then you took clones ? have i got it right ?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
did you keep the seed from each AOG female seperate ? i,d love to see your female choices ? they were from last season then you took clones ? have i got it right ?
the females werent' from my outdoor season they were extras i had in the spring that i flowered inside.

orechron

Subbed. You should have an analysis back by now? If you haven't seen the discourse in Slow's or the AEA thread I've found Logan to produce a false report on Boron for sure and maybe Calcium. I sent replicate samples to both labs and logan reported 2-3ppm B while Spectrum reported 11+ppm B! Both labs were not weighing samples either, which is a big problem if you're using coots and getting recommendations from them instead of doing amendment adjustments yourself based on density.

It's cool that you're keeping the AOG line going. Is Bodhi never going to make them again?

p5150

hey Schrews... New guy here... i've been following you here and have watched you do some straight in the ground and others above???? can you share your thoughts.... pros/cons...????

Machine_Gun

Subbed. You should have an analysis back by now? If you haven't seen the discourse in Slow's or the AEA thread I've found Logan to produce a false report on Boron for sure and maybe Calcium. I sent replicate samples to both labs and logan reported 2-3ppm B while Spectrum reported 11+ppm B! Both labs were not weighing samples either, which is a big problem if you're using coots and getting recommendations from them instead of doing amendment adjustments yourself based on density.

It's cool that you're keeping the AOG line going. Is Bodhi never going to make them again?

Thanks for sharing was about to send in a sample. :tiphat:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
i sent 2 samples to spectrum. still waiting on results. was goin to send more samples but ended up just sending one mound and a sample of the native

plantingplants

It's killin me waitin for my results. Gotta know whats up so i can get this freight train rollin'.

I have a test of my native too, i am interested in seeing yours. Is yours rocky? I posted elsewhere but my g/f pulled 2.5 lbs neglecting a plant in 20 gallons of soil-- it went thru the rotted pot bottom into red clay. I def want to try some clay holes this year.

Did you get k3?

Oedipus

clay

clay

Heya plantingplants, i had a similar interest working this year with clay holes too, and was wondering if you planned to ammend the soil with drainage or more loose soil prior to planting, or maybe my mind is traveling to far , because now im thinking that clay holes are nothing except clay holes , no perlite, ect.. prehaps working in pure clay is true organics

plantingplants

My clay drains fine. I will be trying a few things if rocks don't get in the way- one will be just a shallow planting, no tilling. Another will be a hole about 3" wide and 2-3 ft deep, filled with soil. Another will be a 7 gal pot of soil with no bottom set on top of clay. And a fourth will be a tilled hole amended with gypsum at least. Hopefully I can do at least two of each. Honestly the gophers are probably going to fuck the whole plot up. Still brain storming on that.

But there are better folks to ask for clay advice. I haven't worked with it yet. But beware taking advice-- everyone has different clay.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
plants, yah my native soil is very rocky. got good results with it last year though, with no amendments just weekly AEA foliar and root drench.

i got the k3. still waiting on results. might send some samples into logan and FGL also just for continuity from previous seasons.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
i noticed a lot of big plant growers are popping seeds early this year. what are peoples thoughts these days regarding ideal start time?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
plantingplants said:
;Hopefully I can do at least two of each. Honestly the gophers are probably going to fuck the whole plot up. Still brain storming on that.
you'll be fine just make baskets for the root balls . i didnt even use baskets last yr and my plants were ok despite tons of gophers in my mounds

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I soaked seeds last year on March 13 th, they went into little 4 inch pots then into 3 gallon containers till June 8th then planted outside. Some were already rootboud. I'm thinking of starting a week later then last year, maybe the last week of March

plantingplants

It's a toss up. Last year gophers killed the only plant tht didnt have a gopher basket.

Anyway, i hear spring is earlier this year.

You saw that dude thunderdomefarms tho, he said he had huge plants from April starts. Echoes what you have said- that size of your start doesn't matter. I think there should be addendum to that-- size doesnt matter (if you do everything else on point). Since i am multi planting 300s, i am shootin for a 4/10 pop in 3.5" pots and straight into a may day planting in celebration of 'fuck bosses' day and of the plant that lets me live life without one.

TheOutlawTree

I like early starts, but it will be for nothing, or even detrimental if you let them get too rootbound or unhealthy.

I planted some rooted clones march 5th last year, put those clones into 30g fabric pots in may and by june 5th I remembered thinking 1 week later (march 15th) would have been perfect for my specific situation. It wasnt easy transplanting 30g pots, I needed a helper for that part.

This year I'm thinking march 15th if I do any seeds, and clones should be rooting soon for me so 5-7th for clones again. I bought a bunch of 35g root pouch pots with handles this spring, in anticipation.

I dont think thunderdome farms started seeds april 1st. His seed starts looked around 6-8 weeks old when he planted in the ground may 1st.

I'm surprised with all the grower's out there, that we havent seen anyone start seeds feb 1st, veg in 35-40g smart pots until may 1st, and plant in 2000g mounds / holes.....keep starts covered in pvc tunnels as necessary for may. Would make for some seriously large outdoor plants if done right

Latest posts

Latest posts