What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first Plant

ephenix

i just bought a new 2foot T5 to hang above and i have 2 T5 4 foots hanging lengthwise beside the plant and next week im going to be hopfully getting another 2 more 4 footers to hang lengthwise beside the plant so it gets TONS of light ill post pics how its set up tomorrow

its trypp

She is looking good man. :) next run the extra t5's will help produce a bigger plant too. well hopefully next time you can run a few more plants too :)

ephenix

another question is um.. what does it mean when the hairs are starting to go amber right now on day 53 im a little worried the plant is feeling that its nearing its time and iv only got maybe if im lucky 2.5 grams worth on it..... am i doing something wrong? or is it normal for some of the hairs to turn red

its trypp

just keep watering it like normal, I noticed some hairs on mine turned orange early too. But then she started filling out quite nicely :) Check on my Autoflower post to take a look.

And fair enough on the reason why you are only keeping one plant. But yes having the t5 lighting like that, and when you get 2 more to have all cardinal directions+ above covered, will boost you up on size and yield a lot. And like I said make sure to buy bulbs for blooming! It will make a huge difference.

T

ThcGrower4life

great looking plant ephenix if you had more light your grow would be amazing because your plant looks very healthy

ephenix

i was worried it might be suffering from calcium defish, but then again im gonna be getting more lighting tomorrow and friday i have t5 lighting i was told to take me through budding and get a very decent yield i would need 5 4 foot t5 lights going at 18-6, i use maxi-grow for food and i was gonna use bud booster to maybe bost my bud growth along with 2 other lights

its trypp

More lighting will help, not to mention you still have quite a bit of budding time to go. Let her keep going, and just check trichomes. Clear= Not ready, Mostly Cloudy= Head high, Amber= couchlock, too much amber= overripe.

ephenix

i was gonna wait until it was 85 almost 90% amber before i harvest but im just trying to find out if my buds will start filling out if i use bud booster

its trypp

The way it was explained to me was that you want to harvest before its more than 50% amber, as during the drying process the plant WILL continue to mature a little bit. The amber trichomes are indicators of degradation of the plant's quality. Much like you don't want to eat a banana with lots of brown spots because it is over ripe, you might not enjoy the smoke as much from the bud being over ripe.

And it depends on what other nutrients you are using on the plant right now. If you aren't feeding it anything then yes it will help. But if you already have a sleuth of nutes going in, then it might just be too much.

Nice grow you got there........

Nice grow you got there........

Hey Eph you got a nice setup there. And your results look good too. I also have the 4 bulb- T5 setup. How do you like it? Mine works great and my girls love it. It also isn't a energy hog either but it handles my 10 plants with ease. I am about to get another also. You cant beat them for the price or the results. I cant wait to see the final results. I'll be looking on for sure.

NYUrbanFarmer :tiphat:

The way it was explained to me was that you want to harvest before its more than 50% amber, as during the drying process the plant WILL continue to mature a little bit. The amber trichomes are indicators of degradation of the plant's quality. Much like you don't want to eat a banana with lots of brown spots because it is over ripe, you might not enjoy the smoke as much from the bud being over ripe.

And it depends on what other nutrients you are using on the plant right now. If you aren't feeding it anything then yes it will help. But if you already have a sleuth of nutes going in, then it might just be too much.

Great point Trypp it's true your right. :tiphat:

@ Eph: if you wait until the tricomes are 80% amber than you will get that couch lock narcotic high. I read some information that said if you harvest when all the tricomes are cloudy you'll get that speedy uppity high, Half amber/half cloudy is the optimal time to harvest with a mix of head high/narcotic high 50/50, then harvesting when the tricomes are more amber gets you that narcotic couchlock. And the more they turn amber the more it leans in that direction. The more amber the more the tricomes change from tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) to other chemicals like cannabidiol (CBD), cannabinol (CBN), tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV), and cannabigerol (CBG). You want to try and harvest at the 50/50 mark. It's a skill that comes with experience only I have been told.

NYUF