What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first legal grow!

rob feature

Oop, almost let this one slip away. Not so used to the 5 image limit just yet.

This is the big flower on the diesel

i-D5V2Xt5-L.jpg

Not quite as robust as some of the others, but then again, troubled :flu: & maybe even a little chilly :freezing:

rob feature

Back yet again after looking more closely at that picture of the BB. I got back in there & looked more closely at all the plants & it looks like whatever this is is either spreading or due to one or more critical factors. I gotta point to the water. It's showing up on the BB now and I found a suspect spot on one of the ACKL leaves :yoinks:

BB's off the floor now too :biggrin:

Water is the big thing I changed. I'd been using filtered tap since day 1. 7 days ago or so, I decided to try to get away with just tap. I'm hoping it's that simple.

Diesel seems to be playing canary in the coal mine.

FLAgreenthumb

Back yet again after looking more closely at that picture of the BB. I got back in there & looked more closely at all the plants & it looks like whatever this is is either spreading or due to one or more critical factors. I gotta point to the water. It's showing up on the BB now and I found a suspect spot on one of the ACKL leaves :yoinks:

BB's off the floor now too :biggrin:

Water is the big thing I changed. I'd been using filtered tap since day 1. 7 days ago or so, I decided to try to get away with just tap. I'm hoping it's that simple.

Diesel seems to be playing canary in the coal mine.

I agree, u can def see it moving up the plants...dark purple petioles on all the sugar/fan leaves all the way up the buds.... I learned a long time ago to trust my intuition, and if your gut tells you its the water, go to RO immediately... Just for guano and giggles, if you can round up a TDS pen check your tap water and see where your at. Although I would still go to RO either way. Those beautiful girls r at a critical time in their lives(that just sounded like a anti drug PSA)...

If raising the temps in the tent is not practical right now, I would strongly consider putting a heating pad underneath your plants. One of those nice propogation mats would be perfect, although if it was me I would go with a regular heating pad and put a towel over it and set your saucers directly on the towel. Adjust the pad so that the towel is not warm or radiating any heat, but not chilly. When you touch your pots they should not feel cold or chilled at all.
BTW, I just looked back and realized you were adding calmag just a few weeks ago!!..nix the epsom salt..lol not that it would have hurt anything but there is obviously Mg in the soil.... so that narrows it to rootzone temps or water... and your fixing them both! :bow:

I whole heartedly agree with the KISS method..lol Just like in most things, success comes from mastering the fundamentals...
A good light medium, temps 70 to 85, a good full spectrum or two part nutrient, and some good clean water and your there... :)
Your first grow? I gotta say, your organization and critical thinking...
I'm impressed... I cant wait to see some of your upcoming grows... especially through the Nikon lense!! :)

later bro

PS> what kinda nug was that on the scale? when I saw it I had to head for the garage and smoke..lol

rob feature

Big kudos for the help greenthumb & thank you for the kind words. With any luck, they're on their way to pulling out of it. RO found. I'm keeping the joint warmer now too.

First grow in a very long time. I tried it before, but I hadn't yet come to appreciate the finer points of growing - like feeding. Lots of reading since then. This was before the internet existed & information just wasn't easily available. But I did know not to talk about it, so I was totally on my own. Never even crossed my mind they might need anything other than water :biggrin:. Almost caught the place on fire :yoinks:. The smoke was worse than the stemmiest, seediest Mexican brown frown you've ever seen. So not my first, but certainly my first honest shot at it. I wish I'd taken pics the first time. It was hilarious.

Oh, the nug on the scale is Green Crack I think
yummy.gif

edit: I got back in before lights out & felt the bottom of the pots - much warmer now. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

rob feature

Jeez Louise Rob, i hadn't checked in here for a few weeks. Look at how big they are now! that's some mighty fine work. hope the diesel gets back on track for you.

Muchas gracias :tiphat:

I'm kinda giggling a little when I look at the pictures from a month ago myself. I didn't think they could grow so fast. I just wonder if I'm gonna start finding the need to tie stuff down. Gonna play wait & see with that one I guess.

onavelzy

Veteran
Muchas gracias :tiphat:

I'm kinda giggling a little when I look at the pictures from a month ago myself. I didn't think they could grow so fast. I just wonder if I'm gonna start finding the need to tie stuff down. Gonna play wait & see with that one I guess.

rob, if you want to look into small scale organic soil batches, there's a guy who posts here named dank.frank who can help you a lot. he has lots of info on organic growing. there are also sites where you can buy bags of all the amendments needed to mix up just a 30 to 40 gallon batch. I think that's more on the scale you're working with in this grow. mix it with the soil, mix in some mycorrhyza, some worm castings, put it all in a trash can for a month or two and you're good to go for the duration of the grow. i believe he is developing a product along those lines but if not, i can send you a link to the company i used who has a similar product.

rob feature

o0o0o this is a fun one. Read the whole thread so far, great job. I'm here for the home stretch!

-Old School

Glad to bring a little entertainment to one's day. Plenty o room in here OldSchool - pull up a chair & enjoy the show! Maybe I'll have something good to show off later with any luck.

I gave out the first bunch of RO this morning & am a bit anxious to see how it goes down. While I'm thinking about it, the RO didn't change my pH much. It's all the way up to 6.5 from 6.4. I didn't bother checking pH first, but tap pH is about 8. HR nutes are supposed to have plenty of Ca & Mg, so I'm just gonna do the water for now & see what happens...hate to introduce more than one variable at a time, eh?

FLAgreenthumb

Big kudos for the help greenthumb & thank you for the kind words. With any luck, they're on their way to pulling out of it. RO found. I'm keeping the joint warmer now too.

First grow in a very long time. I tried it before, but I hadn't yet come to appreciate the finer points of growing - like feeding. Lots of reading since then. This was before the internet existed & information just wasn't easily available. But I did know not to talk about it, so I was totally on my own. Never even crossed my mind they might need anything other than water :biggrin:. Almost caught the place on fire :yoinks:. The smoke was worse than the stemmiest, seediest Mexican brown frown you've ever seen. So not my first, but certainly my first honest shot at it. I wish I'd taken pics the first time. It was hilarious.

Oh, the nug on the scale is Green Crack I think View Image

edit: I got back in before lights out & felt the bottom of the pots - much warmer now. Fingers crossed.

Whats up bro?! :) any progress? leaves starting to green up at all yet? Oh and yeah I had numerous growing pains when I first started growing...my first attempt got completely fried..lol I put them out in the open sun at about 3 inches tall in black nursery pots!! haha thats when i sought out the advice and tutelage of an older family member and I learned a lot from him.. he was a good man:)
got ripped off majorly by someone who I thought was my friend..... thats when I learned the first rule..lol another time a real friends german shepard ate 3/4 of 5' outdoor plant( it was still in veg so the dog was fine) I was 16 then and that was the only plant I had that year:( I still learn new stuff all the time, thats one of the things i love about our hobby is its constantly evolving, I never get bored. And places like this where we can share info with someone 1200 miles away idk...its cool. so whats crackin bro gimme an update:)

FLAgreenthumb

yeah the Ca amd Mg are fine.... they use alot of Mg and calcium is very improtant for growth but you were supplementing with calmag a month ago and if your base nutes have decent levels its fine.... I am almost sure the temps were the main problem although the timing of going to straight tap and the problem getting worse makes me think that as well but as we talked about earlier your solving both problems sooo...:dance013: oh and the change to RO wasnt to effect the pH it was to eliminate any question of starting with pure water. Many times you may not know your water has excess minerals in it, not w/o testing it with a TDS pen. with RO you know your starting at 0 (or close..lol) Hard water(an over abundance of minerals) can block uptake of certain nutrients..anyway you are definetly on the right track:woohoo:

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
cool show ya got goin on here, your problem with clawing and nute lockout is looking like root aphids fwiw. does your run off water smell a bit rotten eggish? if so than 100% root aphids...they're on at least 50% of accessible cuts in ca and i'd imagine the same can be said for colo. they give you issues that are similar to the wrong ph which can inherently cause nutrient lockouts across the board.

oh and 80F is on the hot side of optimal unless your running co2 in which case 80-85 is ideal with about a 10 degree drop from day to night temps regardless of co2 use. I like 77F on and around 65F off with no co2 for max quality

rob feature

I'll take those as words of encouragement :biggrin:

As far as changes go, there hasn't been much going on. Unfortunately I watered/fed just before I noticed the funky leaves, & the diesel hasn't dried out from that yet. I figured watering now might compound the issue, so I'm gonna see if she's ready for some in the morning...unless urgent treatment will help? Her buds still look good & lots of trichomes, but the problem leaves are getting worse. I took off a few of the really bad ones that looked like they were beyond repair. I'm considering giving only water this time around as well. I'm thinking if nutes have been locked out, they might release all at once and overfeed?

I just gave the BB RO for the first time this morning. The MK just now got it. Probably too early to tell. The ones who've had it don't look any worse though, but I'm thinking anything this soon will probably be too subtle for me to notice.

I knew what you meant regarding pH - just being thorough. I didn't wanna go feeding without checking that first. And I'm thinking about getting a PPM meter for the tap. Then again, I'm kinda wanting to install RO. Going to the store for water will get old & RO ain't that expensive anymore. Ima read up on it some more.

rob feature

cool show ya got goin on here, your problem with clawing and nute lockout is looking like root aphids fwiw. does your run off water smell a bit rotten eggish? if so than 100% root aphids

Thanks, but uh,

Yikes :yoinks:

I haven't smelled anything rotten-eggish, but it is allergy season...not sure I'm smelling everything. I don't have too much runoff, but I'll probably have some in the morning I can sample. I guess in the meantime I've something else to read about now. Thanks for the heads up!

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
no need to panic, not much you could do about them at this point if it is indeed root aphids other than just ride it out and use sticky traps. not totally sure if your doing organics or not but bayer tree & shrub insect drench in veg once a week for a couple weeks get's em gone.

i know this is a completely different conversation all together but other mediums like coco are far more user frienldy in terms of controlling variables, all you need to run coco is a decent coco nute recipe(plenty of em available her @ the mag, I'd recommend the greatful head/rez-ipe, I've gotten many of my friends going on this basic recipe and they've enjoyed many successful harvests through the years) and a calibrated ph meter...

Have fun! must feel great to be legal!

rob feature

I'm on the prowl for sure. Always have been actually. I got a 100x microscope a while back and have been looking at pretty much everything I cut off 'em - top & bottom. Even dug a little in the soil & looked at that. This is a habit I developed as a kid...had a really nice microscope around the house so I spent lots of time looking at stuff. While I'm not going to jinx myself by saying that I haven't found anything, I will say that it would likely be worthy of mention :biggrin:. I really need to get a nice microscope again - this little fold-up plastic job has its limits. Hella awesome for under $20, but I'm spoiled. Plus I'd like to be able to take pictures while I'm in there.

Been reading about coco too...maybe down the road. Looks promising, but down the road.

And yes, legal feels pretty good :dance013:

FLAgreenthumb

80 daytime 70 at night is puuuuurrrrrfect with room air.... 75 and 65 certainly ok too
but 50's at night? nooo siiirrr you do not want chilly pots... I mean to get detailed I run warmer temps in veg and about 5to 7 degrees cooler in flowering... but if your dropping into the 50's your going to have problems..... the main temp that needed to change was the night time...74 during the day is fine just dont let the night time drop below 65...
I will just say what I would do... it appears you have a light potting mix, perlite and chunks of bark, I assume a commercial mix and you added some extra perlite? idk but It looks fine and like it would drain well....I would take 5 gallons of ph'd RO water and and water the plants thoroughly.... oh and make sure the water is at least 65 degrees
also.... and make sure your temps are not dropping below 65...
fundamentals... temp, humidity, light medium, balanced nutrients, clean pure water and no light stress...
I see no evidence of pests.... IMHO and experience the plants would not have developed as well or as vigorously as they did if they were battling root aphids... one thing for sure, when you do harvest these there's a quick way to tell... immediately take the pots outside and turn them upside down while holding your hand on the plant side with your fingers split around the stalk as if you were going to transplant, pull the pot off and inspect the roots if you have aphids you will see them immediately but hey just my 2cent..
Hope it all goes well brother....

rob feature

I'm gonna have to wear shorts around here all the time at 65 :biggrin:

Good to know though, seriously. I have cold blood or something & don't keep my place as warm as most people in the winter. I went for a bike ride at 72 degrees today & just about melted :toohot:

The soil is Fox Farms Happy Frog unadulterated. I'll probably use Promix next...lots of rocks & big sticks & whatnot in the FF & that seems unnecessary...like a filler.

I'm having some mild computer drama at the moment, but hope to get a few more pics up by the weekend. I'll check back in soon with an update.

Mad props for all the feedback y'all! :headbange

rob feature

So a little time has passed after a switch to RO for all the ladies. I'm happy to say that appears to be working wonders at the moment. Unfortunately I didn't have time to snap pictures before lights out this morning. But I can definitively say that switching the water seems to have made a major difference. The removal from the floor can't be discounted either, so I'm not sure which deserves more credit, but the important thing is - something worked! :woohoo:

The first thing I noticed this morning was a re-greening of the diesel! Some of the leaves will be beyond repair, but some that were kinda on the edge have returned from their death beds! The rest seem to be growing more vigorously. BB put on almost 2 vertical inches since I switched over (minus the books :biggrin:).

Oh, how about a little more good news

I got a root from teh MK clone :dance013:

i-n35SjbB-XL.gif

I'll have to look & see exactly how long this took, but off the top of my head, I'm gonna say right about one month (edit: 20 days). Now to figure out how to veg this thing while the rest are in flower. And figure out what I wanna plant it in. I'm thinking ProMix this time.

Greenthumb, you earned your title here sir :bow:. You da man! May the yield gods throw you an extra pound your next harvest. 'Cause I think you may have saved my harvest. I can't thank you enough for all your help. Props to everyone who posts in here actually. Whether or not I wind up implementing certain ideas, they always get me thinking.

Last edited:

rob feature

Oh, and I also wanted to follow up on the runoff. I gave the RO to the diesel for the first time yesterday morning. It was nice & early so the allergies hadn't gotten to me yet (could still smell just fine). I sampled the runoff water & it smelled just like freshly-brewed nute-mix (decided to do a light mix i/o straight RO water). No foul odor at all. Thanks for the tip there whadeezlrg!

Last edited:
With my cuttingss if i have a light on 12 hours a 24 hour period. I run my lights at night. so during the day when there off... i just bring the cuts outside each day for a hour or two and put it in indirect sunlight. in solo cups... not hard to move a few ladies everyday ...
adding 1-2 hours of light in the middle of the dark cycle has proven to work very well for me.

Latest posts

Latest posts