What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is so bad about Miracle Gro?

O.K. I have been reading this forum for about 5 months. I try to read every grow journal that is posted so i can learn from the experiences and pitfalls of others during their grow.

So, i noticed one prominent grower, and i followed his threads and he posted some great stuff, including a soil mix that he uses that requires no watering from start to finish - and he posted a perpetual grow using that stuff.

Well, that stuff he used was some Miracle Gro Organic Choice Garden Soil. I mention that in the Organic Soil forum, and the first words are warnings to not use Miracle Gro - whats with that?

Reading this thread: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=59380/ it clearly shows Miracle Gro can perform.

So am i just encountering select Miracle Gro hate, anti-Miracle Gro snobbery? OR are there some legitimate reasons i shouldn't use a product that gave a prominent grower here great results?

This is my first time grow. I am trying to make this as easy for myself as possible for a woman working alone. So why all the Miracle Gro hate?

LUDACRIS

Veteran
O.K. I have been reading this forum for about 5 months. I try to read every grow journal that is posted so i can learn from the experiences and pitfalls of others during their grow.

So, i noticed one prominent grower, and i followed his threads and he posted some great stuff, including a soil mix that he uses that requires no watering from start to finish - and he posted a perpetual grow using that stuff.

Well, that stuff he used was some Miracle Gro Organic Choice Garden Soil. I mention that in the Organic Soil forum, and the first words are warnings to not use Miracle Gro - whats with that?

Reading this thread: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=59380/ it clearly shows Miracle Gro can perform.

So am i just encountering select Miracle Gro hate, anti-Miracle Gro snobbery? OR are there some legitimate reasons i shouldn't use a product that gave a prominent grower here great results?

This is my first time grow. I am trying to make this as easy for myself as possible for a woman working alone. So why all the Miracle Gro hate?

Its always best to start seedling in a nute free soil and mg soil works well as far i have seen but i prefer a nute free soil and i use miracle grow powder as my veg nutes after they are a couple of weeks into growing starting with a 1/4 dose then upping it slightly week by week untill i hit my max of 3/4 strength. I dont recommend using full dosage anytime as mg powder is very high in npk.
A good nute free neutral ph scots top soil is what i go with mixed with perlite and then no nutes for at least 2 weeks. This way its much easier to control the nute situation.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 17

Cush

I've seen people get decent results with MG before. But there are definitely better things for your ladies than MG. Do what makes you happy but try some other stuff sometime you might get much better results.

I've seen people get decent results with MG before. But there are definitely better things for your ladies than MG. Do what makes you happy but try some other stuff sometime you might get much better results.

I spent 5 months lurking here and made a decision based on A LOT of reading and the successful grows of someone here that uses it quite well. Now i am being told how i am poisoning my 'patients', when really it's just my first grow. I really don't need the stress or Grower Elitism masked as "helpful advice".

I just want to grow some buds and feel good about it.

Not deal with this:
Go forth and grow out your 'medicine' with all the Arsenic, Lead, Zinc, et al. that you can muster up.

Do you tell your 'customers' what they're about to huff up by any chance? Somehow I doubt it.

C

cannagirl

I think the reason is because if you ask 1000 different growers how to grow, you will get 1001 different answers.

When starting out growing its all about trial and error NO MATTER how much you read. Its the hands on experience, so go for what you think will work and if it does keep using it, if it doesnt, then try something new. The worst that can happen is you have to start over

LUDACRIS

Veteran
I spent 5 months lurking here and made a decision based on A LOT of reading and the successful grows of someone here that uses it quite well. Now i am being told how i am poisoning my 'patients', when really it's just my first grow. I really don't need the stress or Grower Elitism masked as "helpful advice".

I just want to grow some buds and feel good about it.

Not deal with this:

Just stick to a nute free quality top soil (that has a ph of 6.5-7.0) and you will be fine but if you want to use miracle grow soil then go for it but it wouldent be my choice. I use the same soil now that i did when i first started growing because it gave me exellent results time and time again.

C

Carl Carlson

Just stick to a nute free quality top soil (that has a ph of 6.5-7.0) and you will be fine but if you want to use miracle grow soil then go for it but it wouldent be my choice. I use the same soil now that i did when i first started growing because it gave me exellent results time and time again.

Probably two things going on. You've got people with legitimate reasons like this poster and others that are against it because it's not marketed towards pot growers.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Reading this thread: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=59380/ it clearly shows Miracle Gro can perform.

In the thread you insist is proof that MG "can perform" the MG is just one component in the mix.

From that thread you linked -

"The soil mix consist of 1 bag of mriacle grow organic + 1 bag of pro mix + 1 cup blood meal + 1 cup bone meal + 1/2 cup dolimite lime + 10-20% added chunky perlite."

And that is one of the most experienced growers around here. Blaze could prolly grow great plants with some piss and guano.

So yea, that thread doesn't indicate the performance of Miracle Gro, only demonstrates it is suitable for use in a more comprehensive mix.

And yes, MG has been tested in the past and had elevated levels of a bunch of bad things. I don't like smoking copper and zinc. Multiple state's agricultural programs did these tests and came to the same conclusions. Think that Organic Choice one is more new, so I am not sure the same complaints apply, but in general it indicates to me the company doesn't give a shit about keeping these harmful substances out of their products by sourcing better starting minerals or whatever.

The new grower cannot go wrong with Promix and Floranova Bloom, which is basically the lucas formula in a bottle. Try that if you're looking for something simple.

Cush

I'm a big fan of the Lucas formula. Recently switched to Floranova Bloom and think I'm gonna stick with that for a while. As for medium I was using 100% perlite but switched up to a perlite, coco mix.

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
I think the reason is because if you ask 1000 different growers how to grow, you will get 1001 different answers.

When starting out growing its all about trial and error NO MATTER how much you read. Its the hands on experience, so go for what you think will work and if it does keep using it, if it doesnt, then try something new. The worst that can happen is you have to start over

I could not have said it better myself.. :D you will have snobs tell you its the worst. Cos why? they are snobs, like said above trial and error... If you follow all the shit you read good luck you will kill all kinds of plants.. Some people here use like 34 thousand different nutes at once, kelps, molasses, molasses for molasses etc... Just do what your wallet will allow, unless you slang p''s and dont worry about money.. then buy the best.. but i have an old hippie co worker who has since passed but he used MG and had some killer, it expanded awesome tasted great and got me hgih as fock.. I personally dont use MG but i would if i had to.. i use happy frog and am happy, im sure there is a snob that would tell me my soil sux.. lol.. oh well... do what ya can with wat ya have and KISS>.... Less is more.. peace n pufs..

sackO

I guess there's schools of people out there that feel like Miracle Grow or Scotts puts out a "less complete" product. Maybe you should drive to the hydro shop and spend four times what you would on that Miracle Grow because I guess you can use it directly out of the bag. I dunno sometimes you can't really anything you buy you're going to have to get a feel for and with soil you need to do initial amendments anyway. If you feel bad go to the hydro center or hydro mart or fucking california collective depo... ask them for an empty Fox Farms bag. Put your soil in that :D

LUDACRIS

Veteran
I could not have said it better myself.. :D you will have snobs tell you its the worst. Cos why? they are snobs, like said above trial and error... If you follow all the shit you read good luck you will kill all kinds of plants.. Some people here use like 34 thousand different nutes at once, kelps, molasses, molasses for molasses etc... Just do what your wallet will allow, unless you slang p''s and dont worry about money.. then buy the best.. but i have an old hippie co worker who has since passed but he used MG and had some killer, it expanded awesome tasted great and got me hgih as fock.. I personally dont use MG but i would if i had to.. i use happy frog and am happy, im sure there is a snob that would tell me my soil sux.. lol.. oh well... do what ya can with wat ya have and KISS>.... Less is more.. peace n pufs..

sackO

I have also read that many a good grow has come from foxfarm products but i just stick to what i know as its never let me down.

LUDACRIS

Veteran
I guess there's schools of people out there that feel like Miracle Grow or Scotts puts out a "less complete" product. Maybe you should drive to the hydro shop and spend four times what you would on that Miracle Grow because I guess you can use it directly out of the bag. I dunno sometimes you can't really anything you buy you're going to have to get a feel for and with soil you need to do initial amendments anyway. If you feel bad go to the hydro center or hydro mart or fucking california collective depo... ask them for an empty Fox Farms bag. Put your soil in that :D

W.T.F.........????????
:laughing:

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
:laughing: at what you said about what he said... :laughing: i said wtf too... lol...

sackO

F

feral

Use what works for you not what someone else is using. I've used the MG organic potting mix for indoor grows with no issues other than I had to add some perlite to it. I've also used Farfards potting mix and the results were not any different.
I think FF is so hyped is because it's made in the Pacific Northwest and supposedly (cough cough) the growers in that part of the country are supposed to be 'experts'. It's a local brand for them so they don't pay what I've seen a bag go for here on the East Coast.
I def. want to check out Espoma potting mix which is now being produced. Ingredients are just as good if not better than Fox Farms plus they add myco to it.
I would stay away from the regular MG with the chemical time release ferts.

sackO

Thanks for this great advice.

That is all i am trying to do. Mix up a soil with amendments already in it that i only need to feed water from start to finish. This is my first grow, i want it simple as possible. Now i am worried about my final product feeding on cow & pig parts in my soil and people smoking heavy minerals or something.

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
For budget reasons i´ve used plain water and MG in a indoor crop.
My yields weren´t smaller. The shape and resin coverage has changed for the worst.
More foxtails and distorted bud but less resin glands and that was a shame.
In other hand until now has been my cheapest crop ever, not that i´m that experienced lol
After that i´ve went for MG and some Canna nutes and i´ve found that it was too much for my plants. I end up needing plenty of citric acid to avoid nutes locking on roots.
So next time i´ve used a MG,perlite and lime mix with my own DIY brew (molasses,epson salts,liquid fish and dehidrated egg shells) and i´ve had amazing results with it.
I wont swear by MG because it´s a dirty medium, plenty of nasty buggs eggs and even maybe some fungus.
But if you know this and take the proper precautions MG can give some nice results for the price of the product.
Peace and Light to us All

itisme

Veteran
I have used it with very good success many times. I think it is better than Fox Farm, especially since FF is selling you the stuff after it has been used!