What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st time grow! LED + CFL

D

DuhBlec

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and I've been setting up my first grow with a few plants I started outdoors. I've also got a few other veggies under the lights, but you'll know the difference :) My grow room is set up in a shed in my back yard. Currently I'm using a quad band 90w UFO, a 45 watt glowpanel and 4 23 watt 6500k CFL's, with another UFO coming in this week I was going to add 2 more supplemental CFL's. I've attempted some LST, and it seems to be working so far.. Growth has really accelerated since the addition of the UFO. I live in Hawaii and the shed has screen windows at the top, so ventilation and temp. aren't an issue. Also waiting on an order of mylar... I'm a long time pot smoker and just looking to get my own crops going..and I'm having a blast with it so far! Any advice is absolutely welcome!

-DuhBlec

jjs

Nice setup you have there champ , I also have a ufo 90 watt and was pretty impressed with how my plants came along , I Have 3 plants going as the last batch I ended up with 2 males , but it's a lottery and good fun. Hope all goes well king kahuna!

D

DuhBlec

haha, thanks man! Got my fingers crossed.. I've heard mixed opinions on the UFO's but I think they'll work just fine for me, have you tried flowering with yours yet?

jjs

haha, thanks man! Got my fingers crossed.. I've heard mixed opinions on the UFO's but I think they'll work just fine for me, have you tried flowering with yours yet?

Hey again , yeah well when the plant sexed and they were males , but yeah id say your right about being fine , my thing is led was pretty much the way to go , cheap and hardly any heat issue , Ive heard so many people knock UFO's. All I say each to their own .

Did you add the cfl's just for a bit more punch during flowering as ive seen on your pitcure?

Should check out the LED section , some awesome grows.

Good luck mate :gday:

D

DuhBlec

Aloha! It was cheap so I decided to throw in 3 of those "Y" adapter lights for the heck of it, I've got 6 bulbs at the 6500k spectrum and 6 at the 2700k.. so when I do get ready to flower I'll switch to the more "red" spectrum. You think its overkill? or the more the better?? I've really noticed faster growth since the addition of all this new lighting, they do seem to favor the UFO though... I've seen some pretty amazing grows on this site... these guys really know whats up!

peace,
-DuhBlec

D

DuhBlec

Here are some pics of a baby I started about 7 days ago.. Not stretching like the original 3 which I think is a good sign.. its been grown solely under this setup.. I think this'll end up being better pot based on the bag it came out of.. the original 3 are probably "C" grade, but we'll see. With just one day it seems the bigger plants are growing pretty rapidly.. the other UFO should be here Thursday! There's also a pic of an apple seed I planted.. I bit into an apple about 2 months ago and there was a seed already sprouted, so I planted it. :)

jjs

They look pretty good dude , im in the same boat second time around learning from mistakes and doing a lot better this time around ,it's all good fun ,how funny I picked up 400w hps off ebay for like $100 so I can do a comparrision test later down the track.

Going good guns Duh Keep it up champ!

:gday:

hazy

Veteran
You should have watched my grow and some others and got one of HydroGrow's leds. No need for cfls then. and good buds. Anyway, you should do good, can't wait to see how it goes.

D

DuhBlec

You should have watched my grow and some others and got one of HydroGrow's leds. No need for cfls then. and good buds. Anyway, you should do good, can't wait to see how it goes.
I know. right?! I was a little late to the site and had already ordered these lights... I figure I'm gonna do a couple runs through to wrap my head around the whole process, then I may invest in something larger.. This is the UFO I have: http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=524 It says it's a 6th generation I don't know if that helps me out or not.. I notice my light doesn't have 640nm and no IR, is that what makes the HydroGrow lights better than others?

D

DuhBlec

looks legit bro, do u experience high humidity problems on the big island? i hate mold!!!

I haven't ran into any mold issues yet.. but I'm sure it'll be a problem at some point.. I knew enough to get me started but problems like humidity, pests etc.. should make this interesting. I'm sure I'll have many questions along the way... :alien:

jjs

What strain are you growing dude? Hawaiian snow? hehe , oh yeah my friend came back from your state and was telling me there was this guy that has a house surrounded by lava?

D

DuhBlec

What strain are you growing dude? Hawaiian snow? hehe , oh yeah my friend came back from your state and was telling me there was this guy that has a house surrounded by lava?

haha! well right now I've started out with 3 different bagseed, one was light and fluffy, one had some crazy red hairs goin on, and the other are the 3 biggest plants and the weed was, so-so. Yes, there's lots of lava here! My house is actually in "Lava Zone 2" there are 9 zones, with 1 being the worst. I can literally drive to see the lava entering the ocean.. Going snorkeling for a bit, I'll post some more pics when I get back!

D

DuhBlec

Here are a few photos of new growth.. :joint: Can anyone tell me whats wrong with the last plant? leaves seem to be curling and staying folded? I'm using the "Recipe for Success Starter Fertilizer Kit" and just started it today.. it comes with:

B.C Bloom
B.C Boost
B.C Grow
Thrive Alive B-1 Red
Thrive Alive B-1 Green
Awesome Blossoms
Rootech Cloning Gel

I mixed it per the chart it came with.. will this work alright? thanks! :watchplant:

kid_sublime

yo dude i got that same nute kit, i really like it but i mix everything at 1/3 strength at first. i would say their recommendation of feed water water is good also. i think that using a great soil to start with also makes a huge difference, and requires less feeding. im rambling, plants look great! keep 'em green!

hazy

Veteran
Your ufo seems too high. My led goes 6-9" up even for babies. Do they recommend higher for the ufo?

D

DuhBlec

Yo Kid, thanks for the advice.. probably a good idea to cut it down early on. I'm using Black Gold: All Organic soil, any suggestions as far as that goes? Hazy, it shouldn't be any different than other LED's so surely it could go lower... I was thinking this myself, so I'll bring it down a little.. Still waiting on the other light and mylar, they shipped it through USPOS.. Thanks for the heads up guys!

peaceasy-

jjs

G'day Duh

How was the snorkling? must be pretty sweet Ive wanted to give it a
go especially the top end (great barrier reef)

I think the last plant from curling and this happened to me was that I
had it to close to the light.

Well thats my 2 cents , you've got some nice plants champ! keep up the good work ,Off to do a spot of fishing have a great day/night!

D

DuhBlec

Aloha J,
Snorkeling was good as always.. there's a group of tidepools pretty close by that make for some excellent snorkeling.. beginner level up to advanced. I would definitely recommend you try out some of the spots close by! Gotta be some of the best in the world! I've moved the curling plant a bit and just gonna keep a close eye I guess, its getting the same treatment as the other 2 so I can't figure it out.. Are you just fishing off coast or boat? I moved here just over 3 months ago, I'm used to bass fishing in ponds/lakes.. but definitely looking to get into some fishing here if you have any advice on rod n' reel etc..