What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mixture Theory, anion-cation ratio

Braie

Hi, i have been swallowing some scientific litterature lately to try to understand better nutrient solutions. And multiple documents refered to "Mixture Theory" , i find this really interresting so i will try to explain shortly what i understood, and i hope someone could explain if it can be usefull for a hobbyist.

http://scholar.google.fr/scholar_ur...IeVlScpajH2tP4p3BfEj_n2Bw&nossl=1&oi=scholarr

This document explains the theory and how they use it to experiment several nutrient ratios and synthetise results.

So my understanding :

They consider nutrient solution by :
-the relative cation proportions, [K+ ] + [Ca2+] + [Mg2+]
-the relative anion proportions, [NO3 - ] + [H2PO4 - ] + [SO4 2-]
-the total ionic concentration

-the pH

the unit of mesure is mval/l, called equivalent, its a way to consider valency of ions into mass calculations, roughly it consist of considering how much an ion will react with others particles.
This unit is chosen because pH is directly impacted by the reactivity of ions.

So, considering the amount of cations, and anions, and their reactivity we will be able to design a nutrient solution with control on pH and its equilibrium.

One part i didnt understand is, it seems imortant to keep a equivalent quantity in anions and cations, because if one will be in excess, some of the ions will become unavailable for plants?

The consequence is, if you want to raise an element (K+ for exemple) you have to lower in the same equivalent quantity an other cation (Ca++ or Mg++), so you dont fuck the equilibrium of ions and the pH.

Absolem

My nutrient calculator. I try to keep my anion to cation ratio at a 1/1 ratio.

picture.php

BongFu

Hi, i have been swallowing some scientific litterature lately to try to understand better nutrient solutions. And multiple documents refered to "Mixture Theory" , i find this really interresting so i will try to explain shortly what i understood, and i hope someone could explain if it can be usefull for a hobbyist.

https://scholar.google.fr/scholar_u...IeVlScpajH2tP4p3BfEj_n2Bw&nossl=1&oi=scholarr

This document explains the theory and how they use it to experiment several nutrient ratios and synthetise results.

So my understanding :

They consider nutrient solution by :
-the relative cation proportions, [K+ ] + [Ca2+] + [Mg2+]
-the relative anion proportions, [NO3 - ] + [H2PO4 - ] + [SO4 2-]
-the total ionic concentration

-the pH

the unit of mesure is mval/l, called equivalent, its a way to consider valency of ions into mass calculations, roughly it consist of considering how much an ion will react with others particles.
This unit is chosen because pH is directly impacted by the reactivity of ions.

So, considering the amount of cations, and anions, and their reactivity we will be able to design a nutrient solution with control on pH and its equilibrium.

One part i didnt understand is, it seems imortant to keep a equivalent quantity in anions and cations, because if one will be in excess, some of the ions will become unavailable for plants?

The consequence is, if you want to raise an element (K+ for exemple) you have to lower in the same equivalent quantity an other cation (Ca++ or Mg++), so you dont fuck the equilibrium of ions and the pH.

The scientific consensus is concentrate on giving the plants the essential nutrient elements at optimal levels and ratios and don't worry about anion to cation ratios. Regardless of the anion to cation ratio you get pH instability either way due to root exudates etc. There are ways to pH buffer fertilizers but they involve e.g. phosphate buffers, citric acid, citrate buffers and other acid and conjugate base buffers, and chemical buffers such as MES. The latter being a terrible option due to it also typically reducing yields. I really wouldn't compromise optimum crop nutrition in order to balance cations and anions.

Latest posts

Latest posts