What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12 years since i last grew

So its been about 12 years since I last grew.. Only did a few closet / ghetto grows before. Only finished 2.

This time ive got my own space and money/time to do this properly. It all started because I found my 12 year old seeds and decided kind of as a joke to see if any would germinate... ends up almost all of them germinated. Hahaha ended up getting a few modern seeds to see how they compare.

5x5 tent.
3x240watt kingbrite QB LEDs. (2x 3000k 1x 3500k)

Strains

White widow
lemon skunk
black widow
white rhino
critical +
bogs bogglegum
Purple kush
Ethos Cookies R2
Ethos Lilac Diesel

Grow media
Ive always like organic so I wanted to try a notill bed but I also didn't wanna throw all my beans in one basket as I made up my own mix as well.

4x 5 gallon SIP buckets filled with FFOF
5x 5 gallon Fabric pots filled with FFOF

65 gallon bed (32 inch diameter) filled with the following organic mix. Worms, springtails, hypoaspis miles added. Cover crops planted were red clover, micro white clover, crimson clover. The mix was the following.

promix hp - myco 24gallon (19 g peat, 5 g perlite)
rice hulls 5 gallon
ewc - 15 gallon
biochar - 4 gallon
composted cow manure - 4 gallons
pumice - 3 gallons

to that add per cu ft

minerals
1 cups glacial rock dust
1 cup basalt rock dust
1 cup oyster shells
1 cup gypsum
0.5 cup dolomite
0.5 cup azomite
0.5 cup greensand
0.25 cup epsom salts

ferts
1 cup kelp meal
1 cup alfalfa meal
0.5 cup insect frass
1 cup fish bone meal
1 cup feather meal
1 cup bat guano
0.5 cup langbenite

extras
1 cup bokashi
0.5 cup humic acid granular

All of this was mixed up and watered in with a homemade LAB (EM1). Cooked for about 50 days , turning every week or so.

Here it is at day 20 of flower today.

Ive watered a couple compost teas and one batch of boogie brew. Otherwise just fed dechlorinated water / LAB maybe once a week or so.

Ive also top dressed with some malted barley twice and top dressed gaia green power bloom /all purple 8:2 ratio on the day before transition. Will top dress the gaia green again on day 30. ( did not put any gaia green in the bed, only the ffof pots)

Im really impressed with the notill bed, I went and started another batch of soil with a few adjustments. ( got zeolite and neem meal). And got a 2x4 bed to put in there for my next cycle in place of the fabric pots.

I may have gotten a little greedy and crammed to many plants in there but its been going good got a lot of airculation and a HEPA filter in the tent scrubbing the air.

Any input would be welcome!

T

Teddybrae

Just wundrin why the Malted Barley top-dress doesn't suck N out of yr soil?

What does Malted Barley actually do when added to soil?

Thanks in anticipation!

well I was watching this KIS organics podcast with Clackamas coot and some other guys all about notill and organics. and Clackamas coot couldn't stop talking about the benefits of the malted barley. .its has a lot of enzymes that help / speed up the breakdown of organics is my understanding. I was having issues with a few plants and after I did the malted barley all my issues seem to have gone away so I just kept doing it. I donno about the N out of my soil I have had any of that issue so far ? I did also top dress the gaia green + EWC at transition to flower.

To be honest im a super noob. All my other previous grows were done when I was young and stupid. haha

Heres some more random pics from throughout the grow so far.

Attachments

• bed 2.jpg
    bed 2.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 32
  • bed 3.jpg
    bed 3.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 28
  • bed 4.jpg
    bed 4.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 28
  • SIP 2.jpg
    SIP 2.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 32
  • sip roots.jpg
    sip roots.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 29
  • SIP.jpg
    SIP.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 30
  • soil cooking.jpg
    soil cooking.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 29
  • day 18 flower.jpg
    day 18 flower.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 43
  • 2020 2.jpg
    2020 2.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 34

Vandenberg

oh8 was very good year for seeds as I recall.;)

Welcome back from your hiatus.:wave:
Hope your garden came out well and that you got some clones of some beautiful keepers and all is well with your reborn hobby. :)
When the Clackamas Coot speaks, one should listen, an intelligent man.I don't know if he posts here still. I've learned a thing or two or three from him over the years. :)

Vandenberg :)

Vandenberg

The Coots recipe for organic soil

The Coots recipe for organic soil

Clackamas Coots Soil Recipe Explained
authored by a Mr. Jim Bennett June 11, 2020:

About 11 years ago I got a medical card under the rules of OMMP (Oregon Medical Marijuana Program. Not to grow per se but to get access to the 'strain of the week' through some of the groups like Oregon Green Free and a couple of others which no longer exist thankfully.

At the time Fox Farms Ocean Forest was the big deal for reasons that still boggles the mind with prices that were not consistent with the quality of the product. A tradition that lives on today in the cannabis scene - sub-standard soils with boutique prices.

So I began to test these soils out and it was clear that there wasn't a dime's worth of difference between this or that soil. More of a matter of style over substance or maybe form over function.

Having owned and operated a commercial nursery grown different cultivars of Japanese Lace Maples for landscape architects in their resort, restaurant and commercial buildings. For this you have to grow the plant in large containers for a massive root mass which is spelled out in the contract.

This meant that you had the plants on your property for 4 or 5 years. This made the soil mix all-important vs growing annual plants for the retail market - Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, Walmart as well as the independent nurseries across the country meaning low-profit plants as you can imagine.

I decided to go for a soil that would meet the needs for growing one of the highest dollar plants - weed. After a few changes this is what I came up with...the Clackamas Coot Soil Mix...

Clackamas Coot Soil Mix

By volume mix the following...

1/3 Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss (CSPM)
1/3 Aeration - I use 3/8" pumice (aka volcanic glass - completely inert)
1/3 Vermicompost

When it comes to CSPM it does not matter one iota as far as the brand as long as it's designated as CSPMA (Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss Association) which is a partnership between the handful of authorized harvesters and the Canadian government. CSPMA sets the harvest limit and not market demands.

You should ind this at Home Depot and Lowe's in 3.8 cf bales and if it is not available at your local stores then order it online (HomeDepot.com) and have them 'ship to store' at your store of choice. No charge for shipping and handling!

A cubic foot is about 7.20 gallons or 115 cups...

To this I add the following amendments to each 1 cubic foot..

1 cup kelp meal
1 cup neem meal or an equal amount of neem & karanja mix
1 cup of limestone or more exactly Calcium Carbonate CaCO3 so Oyster Shell Powder/flour can also be used as it is also a pure Calcium Carbonate material
1/2 cup Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) available at all DIY stores but you must get the material in the garden section and not in the home remodel section. There are 2 forms of gypsum so make sure you get the one for soil and not walls...

Finally there is the rock dust which I recommend 3 cups of either basalt or granite. Only these 2 materials are 'paramagnetic' which is an integral part of the CeC discussion (Cation exchange Capacity).

Rock dusts like Azomite, bentonite, zeolite and others are called 'colloidal minerals' - alumina-silicate. For example Azomite is a brand name. A geologist would know it as "Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate" and it's known as "Montmorillonite clay"

This clay has been used in France to built ceramic bread ovens which look like a bee hive. They have a small door in the front of the oven where loaves of bread are move in and out using what is called a peel.

While it makes a great ceramic oven I can't find much to cause me to recommend it in a true living soil that is supposed to last 'forever' if taken care of using organic methods.
Happy gardening,

Vandenberg

A company I googled sells a Coot nutrient mix kit I see

A company I googled sells a Coot nutrient mix kit I see

In this Nutrient and Mineral Pack you will receive the following:

For Blending and Topdressing:

Malted Barley

For Mixing in Soil:

Crustacean Meal

Kelp Meal

Neem Cake

Karanja Cake

Basalt

Gypsum

Oyster Shell Flour

Apply at a rate of 2 cups per cubic foot or approximately 1/4 cup per gallon of the mix when mixing soil.

Coot's Soil Recipe per cubic foot of soil (7.5 gallons):

1/3 Sphagnum Peat Moss

1/3 Aeration Amendment (pumice, lava rock, perlite, vermiculite, rice hulls, etc..)

1/3 High Quality Compost and/or Earthworm Castings

2 cups of Coot's Nutrient and Mineral Pack above

2 cups of Malted Barley (blend 1 cup into a powder then mix into soil, the other cup will be top dressed at a rate of 1/4 cup of malted barley each week starting in week 3-4.

You will want to blend the barley right before applying it).

NOTE: The key to this mix is to use high quality compost or earthworm castings. The compost and castings portion contain the highest concentrations of beneficial microbes which are needed to break down the nutrients in to a plant-available form.

Vandenberg

Good weed is called Za Za now. Welcome to the present.
This is the present huh, Wow, what a long strange trip it's been, forgot to notice.
Where the hell am I?
So your telling me it's not 1968 anymore?
That Thai stick (ZaZa) was way better than I thought apparently.
;) :)

Happy Gardening,

bs0

So its been about 12 years since I last grew.. Only did a few closet / ghetto grows before. Only finished 2.

This time ive got my own space and money/time to do this properly. It all started because I found my 12 year old seeds and decided kind of as a joke to see if any would germinate... ends up almost all of them germinated. Hahaha ended up getting a few modern seeds to see how they compare.

5x5 tent.
3x240watt kingbrite QB LEDs. (2x 3000k 1x 3500k)

Strains

White widow
lemon skunk
black widow
white rhino
critical +
bogs bogglegum
Purple kush
Ethos Cookies R2
Ethos Lilac Diesel

Grow media
Ive always like organic so I wanted to try a notill bed but I also didn't wanna throw all my beans in one basket as I made up my own mix as well.

4x 5 gallon SIP buckets filled with FFOF
5x 5 gallon Fabric pots filled with FFOF

65 gallon bed (32 inch diameter) filled with the following organic mix. Worms, springtails, hypoaspis miles added. Cover crops planted were red clover, micro white clover, crimson clover. The mix was the following.

promix hp - myco 24gallon (19 g peat, 5 g perlite)
rice hulls 5 gallon
ewc - 15 gallon
biochar - 4 gallon
composted cow manure - 4 gallons
pumice - 3 gallons

to that add per cu ft

minerals
1 cups glacial rock dust
1 cup basalt rock dust
1 cup oyster shells
1 cup gypsum
0.5 cup dolomite
0.5 cup azomite
0.5 cup greensand
0.25 cup epsom salts

ferts
1 cup kelp meal
1 cup alfalfa meal
0.5 cup insect frass
1 cup fish bone meal
1 cup feather meal
1 cup bat guano
0.5 cup langbenite

extras
1 cup bokashi
0.5 cup humic acid granular

All of this was mixed up and watered in with a homemade LAB (EM1). Cooked for about 50 days , turning every week or so.

Here it is at day 20 of flower today.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=83160&pictureid=2035843&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=83160&pictureid=2035844&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Ive watered a couple compost teas and one batch of boogie brew. Otherwise just fed dechlorinated water / LAB maybe once a week or so.

Ive also top dressed with some malted barley twice and top dressed gaia green power bloom /all purple 8:2 ratio on the day before transition. Will top dress the gaia green again on day 30. ( did not put any gaia green in the bed, only the ffof pots)

Im really impressed with the notill bed, I went and started another batch of soil with a few adjustments. ( got zeolite and neem meal). And got a 2x4 bed to put in there for my next cycle in place of the fabric pots.

I may have gotten a little greedy and crammed to many plants in there but its been going good got a lot of airculation and a HEPA filter in the tent scrubbing the air.

Any input would be welcome!

How were your seeds stored? Fridge/freezer the whole time? That's a hell of a germ for 12 years.

seeds were not stored properly at all. in and out of freezer.. sat on my desk for years at at time.. i moved probably 6+ times during that period i never really expected to grow again.. just kinda happened.

if you guys wanna see. im on my second cycle and i converted fully to notill beds. 2x4, 3x3, and a 30 gallon. all Notill living soil.. using blumats now with the beds. the run has been going really well. The post is in the indoor section as well.

all of the old seeds were kinda losers.. been trading with some other local growers and have some other genetics now too.. still hunting tho.

this grow already finished. it turned out ok.. it was my first run coming back so i learned alot tho from my mistakes. I had alot of bad spacing / shading from other plants and diff stresses that caused issues during flowering. Genetics were a little lame compared to some of the new seeds ive gotten to. My new second run has a new post in the indoor garden section with pics.

Latest posts

Latest posts