You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Balancing Soil Minerals

Thread Title Search
Thread Closed
Balancing Soil Minerals Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2015, 03:25 PM #21
m_astera

m_astera is a jewel in the roughm_astera is a jewel in the roughm_astera is a jewel in the roughm_astera is a jewel in the roughm_astera is a jewel in the roughm_astera is a jewel in the rough
Cep wrote:

"In your years of growing in the PNW, did you ever have plants in soils with K saturation in the high range (6-15%) and in the same season have some growing in balanced soil (Ca around 68% and K around 4%)? If so, what kind of fungal pressure did you get when the rains hit?"

Cep- I never had the chance to do that comparison. When I was growing regularly there was in the early 2000s and I didn't know enough and hadn't figured out enough. I would speculate that the higher K levels would lead to a weaker immune system and more susceptibility to fungal attack. That is the way things usually work with excess K (and nitrates). I dealt with fungal attacks by spraying the plants with beneficial bacteria, which worked. These days I look at the Cu and Zn levels first if there is a fungal problem.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:47 PM #22
m_astera

m_astera is a jewel in the roughm_astera is a jewel in the roughm_astera is a jewel in the roughm_astera is a jewel in the roughm_astera is a jewel in the roughm_astera is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkyjoe View Post
Michael...have you backed up soil tests with tissue testing for cannabis?
milkyjoe-

Living in South America for the last nine years, and not growing cannabis there myself, I have had no way to do any tissue testing. The comparisons with USDA average nutrient levels of vegetables (as shown at nutrientdenseproject.com ) are the best I have at present.

We know that mineral elements are the catalysts (and usually a structural element) for all enzymes and proteins. If a mineral is missing, in short supply, or overwhelmed by excessive amounts of another element (e.g. high P with low Zn, high K with low Ca), certain complex phytochemicals will not be made; the plant will be full of simple sugars and nitrates but lacking in polysaccharides, complete proteins, flavor and aroma.

I would like to see a tissue test comparing cannabis grown in soilless media fertilized with Miracle Gro versus that grown in the same media with "ideal" balanced minerals.

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:30 PM #23
Cep

I'll do that test. I've submitted petioles to the local lab the past few years. I'm a little sketched out to do it again because the last time I was in the guy commented on the smell. I labelled them as hops and told him my plants just produce a lot of oil

This was from soil that had too much K and not enough micros. My soils are closer to ideal now and I have an indoor formula that I could use versus promix + miracle grow.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:02 PM #24
milkyjoe

milkyjoe is a splendid one to beholdmilkyjoe is a splendid one to beholdmilkyjoe is a splendid one to beholdmilkyjoe is a splendid one to beholdmilkyjoe is a splendid one to beholdmilkyjoe is a splendid one to beholdmilkyjoe is a splendid one to beholdmilkyjoe is a splendid one to beholdmilkyjoe is a splendid one to beholdmilkyjoe is a splendid one to beholdmilkyjoe is a splendid one to behold
An example

So this is two year old soil in 200 gallon pots on something like 9 ft centers. It is around 50% top soil, 25% peat (to jack carbon up) and the rest small lava rock. I used peat instead of compost to avoid driving up K. Jeremy from build a soil worked with me on this...we went through 4-5 combinations before hitting on this one.

Logan Lab at the beginning of this yr.

tcec...20.15
pH....6.5 and still holding right there
organic matter....13.25
S...90 ppm
P2O5...606
Ca....68.59%
Mg...13.25
K......5.2
Na...0.55
H...,7.5
other shit....4.9
B...0.6 ppm
Fe.....193
Mn....49
Cu....2.38
Zn....8.51

To be honest I focus a lot on microbiology also. And I use foliars to both correct those micro shortages...fighting B and Zn all yr....and to get a little extra energy (or call it build luxury levels) in the plant.

I ain't claiming it is better than any other method. Just showing what I started with and where I am today. Judge for yourself what you think of it.

edit...hopefully you don't mind the example Michael. And please comment on any improvement you can see.

I intend to let K drop another % or two next yr based on what Cep has been finding. I am at 818 ppm K and 641 ppm Mg...thinking let the K drop to equal with the Mg.

11 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:12 PM #25
trichrider
THEORETICAL

trichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivor

Old 09-03-2015, 07:04 PM #26
heady blunts
prescription blunts

heady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond repute
damn MJ

<3.F.U.C.K.E.M.F.A.M.<3

Old 09-03-2015, 08:09 PM #27
trichrider
THEORETICAL

trichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivor
https://www.advancingecoag.com/files/..._Concepts_.pdf

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:55 PM #28
heady blunts
prescription blunts

heady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond repute
ooo great read TR. saved for later.

<3.F.U.C.K.E.M.F.A.M.<3

Old 09-04-2015, 12:55 AM #29
m_astera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cep View Post
I'll do that test. I've submitted petioles to the local lab the past few years. I'm a little sketched out to do it again because the last time I was in the guy commented on the smell. I labelled them as hops and told him my plants just produce a lot of oil

View Image

This was from soil that had too much K and not enough micros. My soils are closer to ideal now and I have an indoor formula that I could use versus promix + miracle grow.
Interesting plant tissue test. K is high, but Ca is high as well, which is good. Also Mn and Zn are high in both samples. Is the high level of Mn and Zn reflected in the soil test?

Or cannabis might be an accumulator of Zn and Mn?

At present no one knows what the optimal mineral balance in the cannabis plant is. The only way we will get comparative data is to generate it ourselves.

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:49 AM #30
hup234
IC Mag Supporter

hup234 is a glorious beacon of lighthup234 is a glorious beacon of lighthup234 is a glorious beacon of lighthup234 is a glorious beacon of lighthup234 is a glorious beacon of lighthup234 is a glorious beacon of lighthup234 is a glorious beacon of lighthup234 is a glorious beacon of lighthup234 is a glorious beacon of lighthup234 is a glorious beacon of lighthup234 is a glorious beacon of light
M astera..whats your cure when p is off the charts @1089 thanks

Thread Closed