What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the techinal term for this mutation?

I grew a male Deep purple from tga years ago that was identical to this female plant in the way its leaves were formed and have been curious about it ever since, i would love to know if you've seen a plant like this before and what your thoughts are. In this thread i have listed information leading me to believe it is of nepalese in origin please enjoy and share your thoughts
(no pictures in this thread are mine)

deep purple grown by iteachyourkids over at

https://www.br.eedbay.co.uk/forums/...le-Harvest-Deep-Purple-and-Sputnik-2-0/page14

just delete the extra period right after the br in the above link to visit the thread
the forum is currently under construction so it may not appear right now but will later

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It was the only one out of three to have its first set of leaves remain green, it's siblings' first leaves were purple
It grew extremely slow for the first three weeks and grew alot faster after that and remained short throughout the duration of its life,
the leaves are extremely vascular and seem to curl underneath each other leaving the middle leaf to remain the highest
the plant i grew had a stalk remeniscent of that of a tree, extremely woody difficult to clone and the leaves would rot if left in a humidor overnight
the stem rub smelled like purple pixie sticks and the leaves had a pubescent layer of hair over them.

Last edited:
This is a male and female nepalese indica i located at cannabiogens website grown by jahgreenlabel which i believe is a member here too, would love to know if you have any information about this and also if it is okay if i use your photos
https://www.cannabiogen.com/club/viewtopic.php?t=2576&sid=caa0fab8a62c448092adf58598a7558f

picture.php

picture.php

note the dark green leaves of the same color and alot of double serration leading me to believe deep purple is of nepalese origin

finally this is a picture from titoon29 at icmag
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=165244&page=31

a nepali sourced from around kathmandu with a similar leaf shape to the first pictures i showed of the deep purple further leading me to believe that the deep purple is of nepalese origin

picture.php

picture.php

have you experienced this mutation before? is this another type of cannabis we have yet to define? what would be the technical term for it?
I hope you enjoyed this thread and maybe we can learn something together

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Aren't you talking about the crinkle leaf that's so common in DJ's blueberry descendants? I don't know if bb has NEP in its make up.

the blueberry mutants i've seen seem to have different growth patterns compared to this

will you post a picture of one of the blueberry mutants that grows in this manner and describe how it is identical to this phenomenon?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Nah man, I'm not doing an essay and research for you. And I don't post pictures anymore. Just thought you wanted the term. Do a search to confirm or disprove it.

Uh-oh, don't take it personal
i am not mad at you, have a goodnight, don't let the bed bugs bite, my friend :tiphat:

I am looking for the technical term for this phenomenon as stated in misspelled title of this thread

curly mint
picture.php

picture.php

savoy cabbage
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I'm not taking it personally, its just that I answered your question and gave the lineage. Then you wanted a paper writing on it with pictures. Its 25 years since I did homework, so I opted out.

Again thank you for your time my friend. have a good night

this question remains unanswered as i am looking for the technical term for this phenomenon

please excuse yourself

I

Ignignokt

I don't know that there is a specific term?

I think DJ shorts bred the mutation into his plants.... i could be wrong about that but it is very common in most of his creations.

thank you jetlife175

still finding it difficult to pinpoint the technical term for this phenomenon

for now i will call it hyper vascularity

hopefully now we can have a conversation on the benefits or downfalls of this particular function

Last edited:
I don’t think it is a mutation. I don’t even think all of your pictures are showing the same thing. Some of the pictures look like poor growing conditions. Some look like normal leaves just dying off during flush. Other pictures are just how a lot of plants from arid environments leaves look. They tend to have really thin, waxy leaves. I’m guessing it’s just natural variation in cannabis from different environments.

" I’m guessing it’s just natural variation in cannabis from different environments."

an interesting hypothesis

mutation deffinately isn't the proper way to describe this phenomenon if it is understood as something that should be cast out
but i mean it as something that arised at one point in time to the advantage of a particular plant in a particular timeline
i am interested in this phenomenon to find whether or not a plant with this trait has an easier or harder time reproducing, what other aspects it may excel or fall behind in
i would like to know more about this to further the understanding and health of future plants, not to know something and be pacified about a little bit of knowledge
but put it into effect to make better plants in the future
my hypothesis is that plants that have the disposition of hyper vascularity have an easier time sending energy throughout the plant helping it perform in a singular or plural fashion possibly helping with respiration due to increased surface area

I am speaking alone of this hyper vascularity and not other features of this plant

I appreciate your contribution and hope other people have something to say about it too

my research on this phenomenon isn't stopping any time soon

and im sure once br.eedbay.co.uk comes back i can add more pics of leaves in veg

Last edited:
more veins means faster water uptake if water uptake is determined by how much water is in the plant above where it is recieved and how much water can be gotten rid of due to increased cirulation uncertain but i think that aids in a faster nutrient uptake which i would think give it a higher photosynthetic ability.

maybe it means an easier life for the plant that has this trait and nothing else
having an easier life and not increased reproductive abilities would render a trait like this un affected by evolution if a plant has no other way to correlate it to ascertaining an advantage over its surroundings.

a mutation is something that happens to help an organism have an advantage over its surroundings if an an advantage can be had. based on the properties of its surroundings
but would be unsuccesful if any advantage couldn't be had due to it's arrisal

maybe making this trait a common one when referenced to other plants in the plant kingdom but a rare one when compared to the dominance over any whole genus
does anyone know of any particular genus in the plant kingdom where this trait more common than not?

what good is a gift if you can't use it

i'd like to know for sure if this trait gives any special advantage over its surroundings in any way, in regards to the plant kingdom

anyone else have anything to say about it?

Last edited:
Other pictures are just how a lot of plants from arid environments leaves look. They tend to have really thin, waxy leaves. I’m guessing it’s just natural variation in cannabis from different environments.

maybe this trait does help plants from arid environments a very good observation jay

i wonder what effects could be had from a plant with this trait when placed in another environment in benefit or detriment to the plant

not deep purple in particular but paired traits with different strengths also with the trait of hypervascularity

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
You're clearly still quite young. You need to drop the attitude, and do some Reding on evolution. You are no where near the level you think you are. Evolution doesn't happen in order to give an organism an advantage. Organisms don't design their future selves. Its entirely random. Look up niche environmental evolution. Just because adaptation happens, its not because an organism designed a better organism. Its because "Mary likes apples and John is slightly taller than bill. John and Mary's children are a little taller than bill and jenny's kids. When apples are the only food left, which family survive?" Its not design its pure dumb luck.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You should try picking up a Botany book instead of asking a bunch of stoners about this phenomenon.

There is a name for that but I don't recall what it is.
It is NOT a mutation.