What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Healing" cream/lotion advice?

I'm looking to make my own cream I'm just a little unsure of the cooking processes with all the trim. A pain cream for arthritis and muscle pains etc
I know how to make cannabutter but I don't want something to get high, I'm looking to keep all the other healing properties and cook off the thc.
So far I've found I can cook everything down in a slow cooker in an oil..I'd use coconut oil. I've also read that I can cook it with water to help keep the right tempature maintained while cooking and avoid burning off the cannabinoids? but I can't use water as my base for lotion...
Does any one have any experience with this and some clear advice? Ie. Cooking times and tempatures

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wrap material in cheese cloth (like a burrito) and use olive oil or coconut oil in crock pot for at least 12 hours. Simmer like you would for canna butter.

Drain and wring out burrito to get canna oil, running boiling water several times to get the maximum benefit. Once a solid in fridge, use 3:1 solidified substance to bees wax, reheat.

Buy quality bees wax to add. I always include Arnica (anti-inflammatory lotion/gel) to mixture to have maximum benefit.

Just before it solidifies I whip with fork. You can add veg glycerin to mixture for lotion consistency (not water). Ours is more a whipped balm with steps above. Seal in jars (we buy acne pads containers at Dollar Tree) for use.

Adding a bit of fragrance is nice....menthol. We use frankincense since that has anti-inflame properties.
Good luck!

MrBungle

I've done cold extraction of cannabis root with grapeseed oil... could certainly use coconut oil if you choose...
I basically washed, chopped up, and thoroughly dried a bunch of roots put it in a mason jar. I then filled it with oil until there was no room for air.. Set it in a window that gets lots of sunlight, and doesn't get too cold... I rolled the contents around in the jar every few days for 6 weeks ... Then made my own salve using my root oil, some beeswax, and other essential oils that I liked...

I like to rub my hands down with it if they are achy, or especially after a hardcore trim session... I've seen improvement in my pets as well, after using it on their achy hips and even skin irritations, I've also heard good reports from my friends as well..

Reminds me I should make some more :)

I make an arthritis/pain cream that has received favourable reviews from 4 people. It is a combination of a cannabis extract and a cayenne extract.

I extract by cycling between low and high temps. The oil/plant is heated to 200 F and then put in the fridge until the temp is <60 F. The mixture is then heated to 200 again, stirring all the while. It takes about 30-40 minutes to reach the high temp. I do this cycle a minimum of 6 times over two days. The material is then strained through both metal and paper coffee filters.

Very few decarbing bubbles were visible when I ran the filtered extract up to decarb temp., so I don't check for decarb anymore.

Cayenne extract:
1 part cayenne pepper (I use store bought ground)
2 parts coconut oil
1 part olive oil
Extract and filter as above.

Put back on heat and add:
1 part emu oil
1 part beeswax

Take off of heat and beat/mix as it cools down.

This makes a creamy lotion that works for pain.

I extract the cannabis into coconut and grapeseed oil.
Add 1 part beeswax to 3 parts extract, cool and beat/mix.

Take the two salves and combine/heat to melting.
Cool down and beat/mix.

Use daily for chronic pain. One person felt relief after 2 days, the other three took between 4 and 10 days to gain relief from arthritic pain.

oldchuck

Veteran
Don't worry about THC. It won't get you high on your skin and you want it for arthritis pain. My formula: About an ounce of decarbed trim, one cup of olive oil and one cup of coconut oil steeped in a pot for three days, heated once a day to less than 200F. Strain in a strainer bag. Heat again to less than 200 and add 4 1/2 oz of bees wax pellets and two tablespoons of lecithin. When cool to less than 150 add Rosemary and Eucalyptus essential oils. Some pain relief and remarkable skin treatment. Not difficult or complicated.

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
I save all my stems,especially the small ones when I clean a bud. I infuse coco oil in a crock pot on low. Just the oil and stems. I let it slow cook for 3 to 4 days without the top on. I don't want it to get too hot.
I usually have a couple hundred grams of stems saved up. I strain it through a gold coffee strainer. Works great for pain and inflamation and it works fast. It also isn't too green because I don't use any leaf material.