What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need advice on new tv

Mayor Uhana

you can get a really nice one for like $600, just dont get it from walmart. evil bastards. and try not to get one made of plastic. get one made of wood or something more biodegradeble than plastic.

zingablack

livin my way the high way
Veteran
you should get a 42 plasma! trust me i worked selling TVs at circuit city for a good while. in they long run plasmas are betty. they have a faster responce ration and double the half life. def. get 1080I make sure you upgrade your cable to.

JohnnyATL

Veteran
i have a 42'' vizio 1080p lcd hdtv.....great tv for the price. Looks great with videogames and hd cable

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
I've also got a Vizio LCD HDTV.

It's 32", however. Good picture quality, lots of ports, reasonably priced too. You can get it from Sam's Club for less than $600. I'd bet that the 42" models aren't too much more...

I'd recommend the brand to anyone looking for a quality set at a decent price.

Last edited:

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
fuck plasma!! LCD all the way!! You wont be sorry ..

far as brands go man, dont cheap out.

theres plenty well known out there and some are great. some cheaper are just as nice also..

just dont end up with some "exviseo super mega mexico tv extraviganza" type shit.

Stay Puft

Plasmas and LCDs displays have their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer the Plasmas over LCD displays due to their superior black levels. I would suggest going to a store with many displays and take a long look for yourself.

Back to your question: "Which 42" LCD to get?"
I would look at the current Samsung LCD display offerings. LN**A650 (**=size ) If money is no object, look at the Sony's too.
BTW-You may want to wait until Black Friday until you make a purchase. I say this because there will probably be some good bargains. (sale)
Regards,
Puft

Styles P

get the vizio i have a 42 inch in my living room looks great ran us about 400$ "it fell off the back of the truck" if you know what i mean. but buying from the store its prollie 900$.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
You can't beat the Vizio on price, but if you are willing to spend a little more the Toshiba Regza line is a great value. After much research, that's what I ended up with for my bedroom. And definitely LCD over plasma. Plasmas suffer from burn in (although not as much as they used to) and have a shorter lifetime. LCDs are pretty comparable to plasmas these days, picture quality-wise.

On the other hand, I have a 56-inch Samsung DLP, and there's no comparison to my LCD. The DLP blows any LCD away. Unfortunately, rear projection DLPs are getting hard to find. Too bad IMO. You get a lot more for a lot less with a DLP RPTV.

laulie

we have a 42" dell LCD and LOVE it. it comes with a wonderful waranty and it even doubles as a computer monitor. we've had it for almost 3 years now and havent had any problems. we have a 3 year old that has been obsessed with touching the tv since the day he was born and its still runnin good. i highly reccomend it. but i dont reccomend financing through dell. they are the biggest idiots ever!! (but their products are good)

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
I recently bought a Toshiba 22" LCD flat screen HDTV with built in DVD player. 8 inches in thickness, great picture that receives digital signals. Sure, I could have bought a bigger TV for the same price, but I also wanted a DVD, so I think I made the right purchase for me. The sound isn't the best through the TV speakers, but I have my own amp and speaker system so I get movie theater sound. I am very pleased.

My previous TV/DVD player was also a Toshiba and it's quite old nearly 10 now and my mom loves it. I've never had any issues at all with Toshiba products.

be careful as some TV's on the market will still require a special box unless the TV is hooked up to a cable or digital source. When you start looking remember the TV's are hooked up to a system and may produce better pictures than what you get at home unless you have Dish or cable.

If the sales dude doesn't follow your wishes to test out and inspect the floor model, go somewhere else. My case may have been special because I wanted to test the DVD player to see how much screen is lost due to letter boxing of movies. Even though each movie has a different ratio, I was looking for great customer service and 20 minutes checking out the features.

More features of the TV are compact disc playback HDMI so I can use it as a computer monitor. Only uses 65 watts, 1 watt standby 1680 pixels H x 1050 V. DTS DIVX. I think the resolution is 920p not 1080i.

Last edited:

Wonderon

I know someone who picked up a 32" 1080, LCD by Element which is made by Polaroid, for $300 last year on black friday. Good luck plenty of good deal to be had if you get there early enough. TV works great by the way, def worth the $300.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Wonderon said:
I know someone who picked up a 32" 1080, LCD by Element which is made by Polaroid, for $300 last year on black friday. Good luck plenty of good deal to be had if you get there early enough. TV works great by the way, def worth the $300.

I bought a 42" Polaroid LCD last year-- $800, and tho I have heard some bad things said about Polaroid, we are very happy with ours--

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
i still use my 25 inch rca TV i got back in 1994.
dropped it twice and still works like the day i got it.
ill keep this same one until its run into the ground.
god damn thing weighs a ton compared to new tv's

shame you don't live where i live though, i know a guy who sells TV's and his establishment is liquidating so there are several good deals going on.

Last edited:

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
I had 3 LG plasmas last year, yup three of them, all with problems about 1600 dollars 48 inches

I now have a Samsung 50 inch LCD 1800 dollars, could not be happier

zingablack

livin my way the high way
Veteran
samsungs are the the way to go really in tvs right now. sony is and always has been great but you pay for it. brand new 52 plasma samsung is 2500 at most and and a 51 lcd sony is like 5 grand easy.

also about the burn in you can fix that soooooo easily its not even funny. you just have to leave the tv off for as long as you left it on the same screen and the burn in goes away.

Zartan

I think I am going to go with a sony lcd .
Hopefully on black friday I can get one for $800 or lower .
I have been saving change for the last 2 years for this tv :muahaha: