What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Potassium deficiency?

RearNaked

This yellowing appeared overnight and I can't tell what's wrong with it. I've looked around at deficiency charts and images but I'm still unsure -- magnesium or potassium deficiencies, or something else? pH is at 6.0. Can anyone identify it? #ifeeldumb

Attachments

• df.jpg
    df.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 26

Speed of green

Probably magnesium, but without more info its a shot in the dark.

1-1/2tsp/gal of Magnesium sulphate foliar should green them back up, Mg is easily absorbed through foliar sprays.

medium?
nutrients?
feed schedule?
ec?
water source?

its important to keep the feed balanced, excessive Ca, Mg and K can lock eachother out.

G

ganjygav

Looks like mg to me. Give them a dose of Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) as suggested already

Budley Doright

Veteran
Clearly..... interveinal chlorosis....

Magnesium is translocatable in the plant......however it is more limited than nitrogen....

normally first signs will be mid plant.....

I thought I might add...... if this were potassium the discoloration would be in the leaf margins along the sides.....

But potassium should not show intervenal chlorosis at least when the problem first starts....

Often the discololoration will begin as yellow then become necrotic brown....for potassium def....

RearNaked

Much appreciated for the feedback, guys. I'm still new to the 'rules', (or in hindsight, common sense)...

medium = FFOF
nutrients = Just started with Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow (3-2-4)
feed schedule = Every other watering (only used it twice so far)
ec = I'm not sure what this is?
water source = Tap water - pH is unknown at the moment (probably not smart of me)
Average temp inside 4x4x7 tent is 78f
Average RH inside tent is 50%

This came to me in a red 16oz plastic cup in coco. I changed it over to FoxFarm Ocean Forest soil about two weeks ago and put it in the smart pot. I think it was about a month old. After the transplant, it took about a week before it started growing again.

There are four of these growing under a 1k Hps and two of them are showing these yellow markings.

Attachments

• plant2.jpg
    plant2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 19

RearNaked

The closer I look at them, it seems just about all the leaves on all four plants have tiny yellow tips. You can see it in the last picture I posted. Over fertilized? If so, is a flush mandatory?

Speed of green

FFOF is has plenty of nutrients, that plant looks pretty young.

Depending on how long the plant has been in that soil you may not need to start feeding yet.

Ph is very important. for example, you have what looks like a Magnesium Deficiency, however your plant will only uptake magnesium within a certain PH range. So no matter how much magnesium you give your plant it will still show a "deficiency" if the ph is wrong.

This is why i recommended foliar feeding the mag, it is absorbed quickly and will fix your yellowing symptoms while you get the other issues sorted.

You need to get a ph pen or ph drops.

e.c./ppm/TDS - is the strength of the nutrient mix.

RearNaked

"Well gilligan.....maybe you can explain why you think you need to flush????" Skipper, I actually prefer "little buddy."

I guess for a couple reasons... first, while I've read a ton about growing the last year or so, I have almost no actual experience, save for a grow or two outside 20 years ago, and a few years of landscaping, and... from what I've read, I thought it made sense that the soil I'm using (FFOF) is pretty rich and because I also gave them some of the Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow twice in the last two weeks, it could have caused a bit of over fertilization. I saw in a few places that the remedy to over-fert is a flush. Perhaps I didn't read enough.

Second, as I mentioned before, I'm not that smart and I was hoping for some help from the more experienced people. I definitely and very much appreciate your input as well as Speed of green's and ganjygav's. I'll be doing a foliar spray and ordering a pH pen tonight.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Ok...more directly..... you should only consider a flush in the worst case scenario.... A small plant that is slightly overfed will grow into its own fairly soon....

If you will be using pbp then find someone who uses it and feeds with every watering....

I used to use it..... but its pretty pricey.....I now use jacks and calcium nitrate....

In either case there are plenty of folks using the fert that you might get some help from..... once you get enough posts....

I dont use a ph device.... I just use ph drops which tell be all I need to know....

Ph devices have a really bad habit of not working......

I actually dont see anything wrong with your plant..... beyond the mag issue...

RearNaked

I appreciate it very much. I thought I had some Magnesium sulfate lying around but I'll have to get it tonight at the store.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Mag def is about the least serious problem you can have....

Its often caused from strong lighting......like when you move them to a 1k......

Latest posts

Latest posts