What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHO Infused Honey- Tips and tricks?

tech1234

Hey guys looking to save some experimenting. I have done a lot of reading on many different boards and there seems to be some differing ideas on how to properly infuse honey. PsychedelicSam's Magic Honey Elixir (updated version) seems to be the best info out there so far...

Here are my questions I still have:
should coconut oil be added for consistency (thining) or better bio-availability?
should ethanol be added or purposely left behind for consistency or better bio-availability?
how long should the BHO carrier and honey be "infused" (with heat and agitation)
Temps?
Should soy lecithin be added?

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why don't you try small batches to explore the options and report back on the results? :) If you don't find good advice here. I don't have experience making BHO infused honey yet. I haven't seen much info about it here overall.

Mr.GoodTimes

Last time I made it I first made a tinticture with bho and everclear. I added the tinc to the honey in a mason jar, capped it, and set it in some water in the crock pot overnight on low heat, shaking and burping the jar periodically.

Worked like a charm.

tech1234

I've been doing some experimenting... Making a tincture and then adding in honey and heating to 180 to evaporate the ethanol off. Works well but even with bho it still has a bitter taste... So far

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been doing some experimenting... Making a tincture and then adding in honey and heating to 180 to evaporate the ethanol off. Works well but even with bho it still has a bitter taste... So far

Try doing a QWISO extraction first, then use that as base for your tincture. This makes tinctures that taste delicious compared to rough ethanol extractions. I bet this tincture would add a great flavor to honey, as long as the initial extraction had a good taste.

Winterizing kills off most of the flavor. That's only a good thing when you're starting with something that tastes bad.

tech1234

Try doing a QWISO extraction first, then use that as base for your tincture. This makes tinctures that taste delicious compared to rough ethanol extractions. I bet this tincture would add a great flavor to honey, as long as the initial extraction had a good taste.

Winterizing kills off most of the flavor. That's only a good thing when you're starting with something that tastes bad.

im starting with a butane extraction and then dissolving into ethanol

woojay

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I posted this under the Cooking with Concentrates thread

My 1st semi-sucessful experiment:

3 grams Mob Boss Shatter that "tested" at 66%THC
5 Tablespoons of honey
1 Tablespoon of lecithin

First, I prepared my crock pot by filling it with a little bit of water, placing a washcloth on the bottom, and placing the heat on warm.

Then, I decarboxylated the shatter by putting it on parchment paper, on a Pyrex dish in the oven at 225f for about 25 minutes.

While decarboxylating the shatter, I placed the honey and lecithin into a small mason jar and set it in the crock pot to warm up.

After decarboxylating was "complete" I transferred the shatter directly into the honey and stirred until my utensil was free of any remaining shatter.

I let the honey sit in the crock pot for 4 hours. Periodically stirring the mixture and making sure the temperature didn't go too far over 180f. It did once register a temperature of 188f so i took it out for a few minutes to cool down.

After 4 hours, the mixture looked like regular honey, but had a heavy cannabis smell. I sealed it and put it in the cabinet.

I let the honey sit over night to see if there would be any separation issues, but the next morning it looked just as it did when I pulled it out of the crock pot.

I put a tiny bit of it on a piece of toast for breakfast and felt pretty baked during my afternoon workout. I put a tablespoon on a batch of chicken fajitas (secret recipe) and my roommates claim to of felt it.

Please let me know if you have some feedback on my experiment. I am still very new to using concentrates for infusions, so any amount of feedback is appreciated.

Did I infuse the shatter correctly?
Did I decarb the shatter correctly?
Do my times need adjusting?
Do my temperatures need adjusting?
Is there a better way?

I will be conducting more as funds become available to me and I research a little more.
[/FONT]

T

TreehouseJ

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I posted this under the Cooking with Concentrates thread

First, I prepared my crock pot by filling it with a little bit of water, placing a washcloth on the bottom, and placing the heat on warm.

Then, I decarboxylated the shatter by putting it on parchment paper, on a Pyrex dish in the oven at 225f for about 25 minutes
[/FONT]

I decarb in a stainless steel ramekin. I would avoid using heat on parchment. That's just me.

Did I infuse the shatter correctly?
Did I decarb the shatter correctly?

decarboxylation-graph-b-300x275.jpg

Small conventional ovens are great for this purpose. I decarb in one at 295 for 7.5 minutes. I preheat a bit of coco oil to 295 and drop my bho in. Your big kitchen ovens don't stay at a very constant temp. "Heated on a glass plate in an open reactor." is what the graph says. Basically fried as a film. I just deep fry mine.

I mix everything super thoroughly with an electric egg beater for good measure, and add 5-10 ml of lecithin per gram of bho. I'm no expert but.. this is my process.

InjectTruth

I decarb in a stainless steel ramekin. I would avoid using heat on parchment. That's just me.

View Image

"Heated on a glass plate in an open reactor." is what the graph says. Basically fried as a film. I just deep fry mine.

This is how I originally decarbed, as well. However, since decarboxylation is vaguely a sort of rusting/oxidation, the presence of oxygen greatly effects the rate at which the reaction occurs. Decarbing in an oil surrounds the thc, buffering it from contact with the air, buffering the decarb rate in the process. This effect is negligible on a small scale, especially with a wide extract to oil ratio, but becomes much more pronounced the more extract you are working at once, especially as you try to concentrate less carrier with more extract.

Doing a few grams up at a time, i would simply heat an amount of coconut oil to 300, drop in for 9-10 mins, and like clockwork, the bubbling would slow/stop right on time. After doing this a few times, thinking I had it all worked out, I wanted to work up a slightly larger batch, 56g of meh bho. 9 minutes later, the pot was still bubbling violently. 20 mins in, no slowing down noted. 30 mins in, wtf it has to be fuckin done now, im gonna pull it so i dont completely ruin it. Still bubbling but how could it be?

Capped it all up, in 50 and 100mg portions, and took a 100mg capsule. For the first time in my life, cannabis kept me up. I was bouncing off the walls, manic, damn near tripping. Thoughts racing, panic, the whole bit. In my experience before this, more cannabis always meant sleep, at some point. These wicked things took me down a rabbit hole I didnt know existed, precisely when I was as off guard as possible, on my way to bed. You're mileage may vary.

Now I decarb in a small glass dish with a foil cover, on a cookie sheet left in the oven during preheat, let cool, and then dissolve the extract into a carrier solvent. This has not only cut down on decarb/prep time, but increased my level of control over the finished product (trippy/up vs. knockout/couchlock). And regardless of how you decarb, let the times be a general guide, but focus on the bubbles for a much more accurate measure. Don't get stuck on Pluto (unless you want to.)

Cheers. :rasta:

T

TreehouseJ

Thinking I had it all worked out, I wanted to work up a slightly larger batch, 56g of meh bho. 9 minutes later, the pot was still bubbling violently. 20 mins in, no slowing down noted. 30 mins in, wtf it has to be fuckin done now, im gonna pull it so i dont completely ruin it. Still bubbling but how could it be?

I have experienced this also working with as little as a 10 grams or so.

I have also tried to decarb > an ounce of bho and hardly saw any bubbling at all in the oven. The bho came out black and gooey from the tubes, which was something I hadn't experienced yet and at the time had no explanation for, but after trying to cook it I came to the conclusion that the not-so-fresh starting material had already thoroughly decarbed over time.

This leads me to believe that the necessity to even cook the bho is dependent on how old your starting material is, and that decarb times will vary depending on how thin you can spread your bho and therefor how easily the gas can escape, much like in a vac chamber. Also, that the bubbling reaction (or lack thereof) is clearly more indicative of how decarbed your bho is.

Of course, this is purely conjecture. I am but a very stoned person.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Depending on however strong I or anyone else needed them I would decarboxylate the oil for however long and make it all messy like in consistency warm the honey lightly to hopefully get them to infuse properly this isn't a bad idea to mix in with a peanut butter sandwich :)