What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seedlings turning white

dimebag_

Hey everyone, well I have had new seeds going for about a week now. All the parameters from my first post are the same except: no nutrients at all have been given, and the humidity in these cups is up to around 60. The cups have stayed really moist, I haven't had to water since planting the seeds. I have the cups all mostly covered with a clear tray to keep the humidity up for the seedlings.

Problem is the same thing is happening. I attached a couple pictures of the new seedlings. I'm really at a loss this time. I thought maybe light bleaching but they're about 20 inches away from the LEDs and I have several bigger plants in the same tent, under the same lights (and closer) that show no signs of light or heat damage whatsoever. Again, no nutes at all, used brand new coir and perlite, only did one prewatering (the water this time was a little bit higher ph, around 6.2 - thought up to 6.5 was safe?) - and again, some of the other ones I planted at the same time look totally fine. Do I just have bad seeds? I'm getting sick of this.
Shartle-fuck man, sorry to hear you're having the same issue. I was about to hit u up about if those other two made it or not-I assume they buckled.

How do you usually start your seeds? clones only? I don't think once a seed sprouts it can do what yours are doing on its own. IMO yours look like they're having a cal or mag issue, or too much heat but its hard to say. Coco thats not very well rinsed can be high in salt and also coco can cause a calcium deficiency-although I haven't experienced a calcium def with seedlings in coco myself.

Anyways-lemme see if I can help you-listen up. I actually am a long time rockwool man myself. But I don't like the idea of risking losing a good genetic to a seed failing once it pops. And I've never sprouted a seed in rw so I don't even try.
When I sprout new seeds, I like to put them in coco coir or soil in little square plastic pots (your party cups are with drain holes are same diff). Lately I've been using Dutchman Ultra Premium Expanded Coco Coir ( pic of kid w/newpaper on front of bag)-its triple washed to rinse out residual salts (from coconut trees being grown near the ocean) and has a ppm of less than 150 tds. So its basically neutral, or inert. Make sure whatever coco you are using has been rinsed well by the manufacturer.
I just saturate the coco with distilled water until its all wet and running out the drain holes, but not drenched like mud. I don't ph adjust the distilled water. Its pretty close to 6.0 already so I leave it be.
Since I let them root in a paper towel prior to planting them, they pop up within a day or two. I just have them on a metal shelf in a regular bedroom with no direct fresh air (not that fresh air isn't good-it is of course) or high humidity or dome. Just my house air. They're under just one 2-bulb t-8 (6500K spectrum) from lowes. It doesn't put off much heat at all. You can put it right above them if you want a little heat or a foot or two up if you don't. They love the 6500 kelvin spectrum. Same if using a t-5. T-5's just are almost twice as powerful and use almost twice as much power-more heat also. I blow on them lightly daily, just like I do my clones, to give them a lil natural co2.
I've actually been poppin a few seeds myself lately, doing exactly what I just described. The seedlings look perfect and green when they sprout and start growing right away. I just spray them with the distilled water or clonex every couple,-few days. Once the pot gets to be light, I'll just water with the distilled for the first couple weeks. When they get a few inches tall, you can start hitting them with a diluted version of your regular veg. feed. Hope you have better luck in the future brohem-cheers

db-

Last edited:

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
lol your humidity doesn't need to be high dude, I've grown for years with humidity below 30% my seedlings never did anything like that. your issue appears to be overwatering and possibly too hot soil. but for it to be doing all that it would have to be like 2000+ppms. do you have drainage holes in those cups? I would drill some bigger holes.

reused coco full of whatever nutes were in there when I harvested. humidity low at best it's 40%.

you mught as well ditch those latst seedlings they're pretty much toast. do me a favor and dump out the cup of dirt and take a picture. like just flip it upside down on a plate and lift the cup straight up.

shartle

The two from my original post are pretty much gone, yeah. One of them sprouted a tiny new pair of leaves but it hasn't done anything else.

I pretty much did what you described, db - germinate in a paper towel for a couple days until the root comes out, then in the coco. The stuff I used was Grow It coir, bought it from the local hydro store. I rinsed it out twice before mixing it and putting it in the cups. The cups have good drainage. I have a layer of perlite at the bottom over the holes I poked and they're sitting raised on a grate. The guide I followed said that if you've poked holes in the bottom and you have trouble getting the cup to fill with water, then drainage is good, so that's what I did. I don't have a pic right now but I'll get one when I get home. I've only watered these once since putting them in the cups.

These were my last seeds so I'm going to try one more time with seeds from a different source, and rinse the fuck out of that coco a few more times. If those don't work out then I don't know - guess growing is just not for me.

dimebag_

The two from my original post are pretty much gone, yeah. One of them sprouted a tiny new pair of leaves but it hasn't done anything else.

I pretty much did what you described, db - germinate in a paper towel for a couple days until the root comes out, then in the coco. The stuff I used was Grow It coir, bought it from the local hydro store. I rinsed it out twice before mixing it and putting it in the cups. The cups have good drainage. I have a layer of perlite at the bottom over the holes I poked and they're sitting raised on a grate. The guide I followed said that if you've poked holes in the bottom and you have trouble getting the cup to fill with water, then drainage is good, so that's what I did. I don't have a pic right now but I'll get one when I get home. I've only watered these once since putting them in the cups.

These were my last seeds so I'm going to try one more time with seeds from a different source, and rinse the fuck out of that coco a few more times. If those don't work out then I don't know - guess growing is just not for me.
what kind of water are you rinsing the coco with? The bag should say if its pre-rinsed or not. I don't rinse it at all, just get it wet. If you're using tap water, the tap water could be high in chloramines or other bullshit that could be potentially harmful to fragile little seedlings. Just use distilled-its pure as water can be. If they still get fucked up, then I guess somehow maybe the seeds are bunk or you just have a really brown thumb…j/k
good luck man

db-

dimebag_

maybe ditch those led's too and just use a fluorescent like everybody else that been doin things a while….:dance013:
T-5 or T-8
6500 kelvin (6500K)

kainoa

Day #13.
from what i read curling up and whitening of the leaves is caused from overwatering,
which i think i did from day #12's transplant.