What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fan leaves safe as a salad green?

I'm practicing defoliation on my current grow, and am plucking some shading fan leaves in veg to encourage small branching shoots to take off.

Can I eat those leaves? It seems like an awful easy way to get rid of them. The only thing is I'm growing in DWC and I'm worried that since I'm obviously not flushing or anything, those leaves may not be "fit for human consumption".

Anybody care to drop some knowledge?

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
humans cant digest it, notice how much thicker the leaves are compared to iceburg, romaine, radicchio......

you will shit out whole leaves.....

MJBadger

Veteran
Never tried them although i do eat a lot of wild & garden grown vegetation , i would think that considering their leaves of a hemp plant they would be unpalatable with no nutritional value at all . & they probably taste like shite no matter how you cooked them . Put them in a compost heap .

Stay green .

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Tear the leaf up and it can digest, I have done it many times and never shit leaf. If your hydro is clean it is safe, no poison is the issue.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
You don't digest a ton of the material, but you don't poop whole leaves unless you've never learned to chew. They're safe for most people, but raw leaf can be irritating to some people's tracts, I'd start with small amounts and see how you do. Same way contact with the plants can cause dermatitis for some unlucky sob's on here.

imadoofus

Veteran
not only can you eat the leafs with no ill effect, they will also get you somewhat buzzed. even male fans leafs have a trace amount of thc, eating marijuana, whether it be buds or leafs, is more potent thant smoking. providing you dont foliar feed or spray pesticides, then you should be fine. personally though, at least give them a good rinse.

i once ate a handful of leafs i trimmed off a random bagseed plant, definitely felt the effects... long, long body buzz.

gardenbug

I stopped eating them since I use neem oil and neem tastes horrible, but if they haven't been sprayed with anything they are good to eat. I always found them a bit...spikey...rough?...maybe fuzzy is the better word, kind of like a peach skin. They are best mixed with normal lettuce and some dressing.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have eaten pot leaf salads many times, they are totally safe and healthy just make sure you chew them up well. If you don't chew any type of food well it's hard to digest it. :canabis:

The younger more delicate leafs are the best for eating sometimes the big coarse fan leaves can be harder to digest because of protective hairs on the leafs. Try them with some nice aged balsamic vinegar & hemp seed oil dressing over fresh tomatoes & mozzarella, sprinkle hulled hemp seeds over the top with some garlic croutons...mm mm nummy! :biggrin:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Never tried them although i do eat a lot of wild & garden grown vegetation , i would think that considering their leaves of a hemp plant they would be unpalatable with no nutritional value at all . & they probably taste like shite no matter how you cooked them . Put them in a compost heap .

Stay green .

Hmmm... I may be the only one who reads hypocrisy in this post, but it made me laugh my ass off!

:tiphat:

Lol thanks guys. The plants are still in veg though so I don't think they're gonna get me buzzing. I tried some leaves and they weren't bad. Basically tasted like vegging weed smells, which isn't bad. Like a skunk got into the produce isle at the grocery store.