What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Not sure if I have CHS...?

Triplec

Hey all, a newbie here as it's my first post. I'm looking for some opinions or advice if I have Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, or CVS or just a fucked up stomach.

I've been a heavy cannabis smoker for 3+ years, I'm 33. About 6 months ago I started getting morning nausea, which lasted for a week or two, then hit with the extreme/intense vomiting and was hospitalized for 4 days. All tests were normal, did a full stomach workup and everything. While I was in the hospital I was googling and stumbled across CHS. Figuring that's what I had, I refrained from using cannabis after being released, for approximately 6 weeks. During this 5-6 week period, I consistently dealt with morning nausea and stomach pains that were only curbed by hot showers, swimming at the gym, or hot tubs. I still had little to no appetite but it did seem to be getting better. I was starting and take less showers about 3 to 4 weeks after stopping....however....

This is where it get tricky. Then, just out of the blue, it just started getting so intense again, for about 2-3 days, showers, medicine, the pool or hot tub were no help at all. I was puking my guts up so violently. I held out for a long time. Finally after about 6 weeks, I smoked a bowl and felt great. I have continued to smoke since, going on 2-3 months, everyday. I have switched to vaping a lot more too. I am dealing with morning nausea again and still have to take some showers in the morning to curb that sometimes but smoking help it go away, whether it's making it worse or not I don't know. So its confusing...

I have read the data on CHS and I refrained from cannabis longer than any documented case that I have found. Most cases, patients were fine after a few days. Mine lasted for weeks on end, even without cannabis. Thoughts? Anxiety? Need more info or details? I will be happy to share. Just looking for some advice. Thanks!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd get a second opinion. Sounds like they missed something, although could be an aggravated vagus nerve, possibly lack of pancreatic enzymes... both often mimics what you describe. Did all lab work ups show normal range? Something is not right here.

Really, self-diagnosing is helpful, but please don't rely on that alone. We, in the medical field, do that all too much, and to extreme. What I "thought" was pleurisy turned out to be 5 pulmonary emboli...people die from just 1 blood clot!!! Thankfully (I drove myself to the ER) it resolved, but was not an easy task for the next 8-9 months....and on lifetime Coumadin. I knew it was semi-serious, but never imagined life-threatening until the Dx came down. Gulp!

If you went to a primary care practitioner, maybe see an internal medicine Dr./PA.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Mine is from coffee and tea, due to some unknown shift that might or might not be related to my getting high in the past, but here's no reason to believe it is. Question authority and the quality of facts, and whether anyone really knows anything.

If 3 years of heavy toking turned people into nausea generators, you'd think that trend would have been noticed before now, unless there is a new component in what people are toking.

Hey Triplec. Man do I feel for you. When it comes to pain I'm fairly tough. When it comes to nausea I'm the biggest sook ever. I'd rather be dead.
Helping to nurse a mate with pancreatic cancer for 9 months was awful. The Dr's overdosed him on chemo & he retched for days. Hot baths also gave him some relief.

CHS? Sounds like a load of Big Pharma inspired bullshit to me.
Don't fall for the propaganda. The beautiful Herb never hurt a soul : )

You really do need to get a 2nd opinion though. Something is causing your dis-ease.
In the meantime, try a course of dandelion root powder which will boost your immune system (google 'dandelion root powder cancer tutor')
The Chinese have used DRP for thousands of years, especially for liver problems.
Did the Doctors check your liver, pancreas & spleen? Quite often the causes of nausea.

Anxiety can be the cause of physical symptoms. If this is the case then daily meditation would benefit greatly.

Good luck, hope you're feeling better soon.

Hey Aridbud. You on rat poison too?
I ignored the pain from a blood clot in my groin until I couldn't stand up long enough for a piss. The Doctors said it was the biggest clot they'd ever seen.

Sometimes it's just not our time to go, no matter how hard we try : )

justpassnthru

Veteran
I have cyclic vomiting-disease related...can't find any cause, just a side affect of disease. Which is why you should see an Internist, as other posters suggested. It could be disease related-difficult for anyone to really guess at this question.

My HMO doc said, "I've seen this sort of thing with marijuana. I've had a few patients with it. " CHS, he said is very common with legalize medical marijuana.

Triplet, are you taking any other medications or OTC meds or other herbs?
Withdrawal and overdose are often related to those symptoms. Even allergies?
Do you grow your own organically?

It could be possible that you are becoming more "sensitive" to medications. When you re-started after 6 weeks was your tolerance of the medication decreased? What dose did you quit with and what dose did you re-start with?

Just tossing out 'thoughts.' Not a Dr. here and wishing you Health & Wellness. jpt

mr.brunch

Veteran
Possible reflux disorder... Can cause extreme sickness/ vomiting ( a relative is going through this, can happen with no heartburn symptoms) seems to be getting better with PPI treatment)

paper thorn

Veteran
It's easy to find your symptoms in many diseases and syndromes, and easy to think "yeah, that's what I got!"

Self diagnosis doesn't always work.

Things happen as we age, Acid reflux, Ulcers, many things.

Believe me, I've been a heavy smoker for 43 years and no vomiting etc from it.

Latest posts

Latest posts