What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
NL fresh out of crockpot. 21ish hours
picture.php
picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
Thats well on the way now dry it so it feels dry to the touch but is still a little moist in the center and seal it up to cure for a week then open the bag dry it again to touch as it will have got moist again during the cure process.
Do this weekly until you smell a sweet hashish type smell that tells you its ready to dry again and vacuum seal for a month to age.
After that it will just get better with age.
Nice job I can tell from the colors you got a good fermentation going.

Tangwena

Veteran
I love the color you got that golden orange look is fantastic and fresh menthol taste is just what I like as well.
You did a good job there brother thats a top notch cure with a top quality sativa from the sounds of it. Hats off to you brother your becoming a master curer.
I would feel proud to get a result like that man.

Big Nasty

I love the color you got that golden orange look is fantastic and fresh menthol taste is just what I like as well.
You did a good job there brother thats a top notch cure with a top quality sativa from the sounds of it. Hats off to you brother your becoming a master curer.
I would feel proud to get a result like that man.
Thanks Tang,i'm really proud,this cob was pressed very hard,looks like hasish once cutted.bongtime now :)Always thank you for sharing brother

picture.php

Sticky Sat

Everytime i drop by on this great thread it's like stepping in a magic world... ;)

I'm always amazed by your skills and results guys... :) Congratulations to all of you and many thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge...

A great week end to all ! :tiphat:

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
picture.php

got some fresh shucks how long should i let them dry out before i use them?
should i swet the weed in a bag first?
im ready to try this out:woohoo:

Tangwena

Veteran
Good on you for giving this a go you can use them straight away as they are now or dry them a day, its easier if they are still soft and pliable.
The buds can be sweated with or without the maize skin with the skin is more traditional thats all the results will be similar.
The most important thing is the sweat and cure both should be done in an air free environment eg vacuum sealed to prevent mold forming.

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

i used some larf buds to try this out.
it was a little harder than i though rolling in the corn shucks ,& tieing them up lol

Big Nasty

View Image View Image View Image
i used some larf buds to try this out.
it was a little harder than i though rolling in the corn shucks ,& tieing them up lol
Good luck on your first try,you're soon to discover how smooth are both the high and the taste.As for corn husks i clean and dry them under the sun,this way i just have to rehydrate them when needed as i can't find untreated corn husks year round.

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
picture.php

well my first attemp at cob tieing faled, it got white PM but smell real sweet.
pm is a problem here so no big disapoinment, ill try again ,man did i say it smelt real nice

Tangwena

Veteran
View Image
well my first attemp at cob tieing faled, it got white PM but smell real sweet.
pm is a problem here so no big disapoinment, ill try again ,man did i say it smelt real nice
Hi my friend did you vacuum seal them?
If not thats why you got mold you def need to vacuum seal them.
Still only larf so no great loss.

F

Fermented

Not all is lost with a bit mold of the exterior, run a flame over the exterior of the cob, enough to kill the mold but not enough to darken, brown or burn the cob, then wrap and reseal. As Tangwena said vacuum seal them or you can wrap/roll very tightly in two x 12" x 12" pieces of Saran wrap. I find that really densely/tightly rolled/wrapped cobs work best when wrapped in kitchen sealing wrap. You need to wrap them as tight as possible so there is a minimum of air.

To make really dense, heavy cobs I re-roll them 3 or so times in parchment paper used for baking when I first make them, roll them on a flat surface Each time you roll them up, use something cylindrical with a square cut end to push in each end so the cob will end up with square cut ends (I just prefer them like this) Each time the cob is re-rolled it will become a little tighter, firmer, thinner and denser. I used to use string, but now just wrap in parchment and twist the ends, these are so dense that they hold their form without the need for string.

When I put the cobs on 40C heat for 18~ 24 hours, I wrap the parchment rolled cobs in the kitchen wrap, really tightly then into two separate rolled up sealed sandwich bags as you do not want them to dry out during the heat stage (which can happen if not vacuum sealed).

Then the cobs are opened and air dried, re-wrapped tightly in two layers of cling wrap . Tighter the wrap the better to remove as much air as possible to get as close as you can to a vacuumed cob. Stretch the wrap and pull it tightly and fold the ends in, it should be pulled almost tight enough to break the wrap. Open every day or 2 and air dry if cold damp, then reseal to allow it to become a cob, but never let the cob 'dry" out at any time for the first 30 ~ 40 days or fermentation won't occur or cease happening.

Happy cobbing!

Last edited:

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I'd try water curing. Mold toxins are water soluble so I sometimes just soak (lightly) moldy buds for a few days to get rid of unwanted stuff. That's a double cure for you.

Mick

Veteran
I used fresh corn leafs and they work great. They're going to get wet anyway.
A bamboo sushi roller makes it super easy to roll the herb into any density you want.

Tangwena

Veteran
I used fresh corn leafs and they work great. They're going to get wet anyway.
A bamboo sushi roller makes it super easy to roll the herb into any density you want.
I use the sushi rollers too as you say they work great and produce nice even rolls.

Mick

Veteran
Hey Tang, yeah, they work great.
Got some 3 week aged Malawi cob that's pure bliss. Imo, cobbing produces a product that's almost in it's own drug category. It seems to get rid of the edginess and replace it with as much bliss as you can handle :woohoo:

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey Tang, yeah, they work great.
Got some 3 week aged Malawi cob that's pure bliss. Imo, cobbing produces a product that's almost in it's own drug category. It seems to get rid of the edginess and replace it with as much bliss as you can handle :woohoo:
My thoughts exactly brother from your description I can tell you hit the nail on the head with that cure.
That is exactly what your looking for and it is a different drug effect from buds as you say.

Its much more refined and intense when you use the right pot grown properly, harvested at the correct time and most importantly cured the right way.
Getting all those criteria right is the sign of a true cannabis connoisseur you are joining an elite group my friend.
It seems there are not many around your job is to now spread the word and turn on as many people as you can to the correct way.
Hats off to you my friend.

F

Fermented

I just opened up a cob that's been sealed for 3 or 4 weeks...the smell has strong hints of fresh hash, I like it a lot!

If your cobs do not develop a strong deep aroma that's closer to hash than bud, then try again!