What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Experience in treatment of autoimmune diseases with high cbd cannabis?

nintey

Hey there, new to the forum but not new to cannabis!

Hope I am not breaking any rules by making a post about this topic but I am currently interested in the potential health benefits of high cbd/ low thc cannabis. I used to smoke cannabis recreationally when I was younger but I stopped when I became a serious student in college. Unfortunately I developed some pretty serious autoimmune issues two years ago(possibly from a latent tuberculosis infection) and I have been struggling to find some palliative treatment for my pain and inflammation that does not have dangerous side effects.

My question is pretty simple, have any of you used cannabis to help treat any sort of autoimmune issues, or any other diseases that are inflammatory in nature? I am partially looking for relief from pain with out the major stoning effects(hence the low thc) but I am also hoping that the cbd can treat the source of the pain( the inflammation).

Also if anyone has any experience with strains that they think might be useful for this sort of thing, any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks again for any help and information, and I look forward to being a positive member of the community here!

dddaver

Veteran
I am no expert, but there have been many documented cases. Use the search feature. Even Florida is allowing some tightly restricted use of CBD in Charlotte's web to treat childhood epilepsy.

I think you'll get a lot of response to this. BTW, you need 50 posts before they allow you to use the PM system here.

There is currently a mess of fraud associated with this. I think once the feds take it off Schedule I so labs can get it and test it, things will get WAY better fast. Expect in 3-5 years at the latest the mmj system will have a whole new/better look.

I have read there has been great success with the harlequin and the cannatonic (sp?) strains too. Maybe lots of others too I think, but these 2 I know. Again, be cautious.

I would also like to know.
A lot of people will testify that its good for AI disorder. I don't know any facts on how and why. I would like to be able to explain it to someone I know. This person works in the medical field, plus is a little skeptic about cannabis, altogether. I don't want to sound like I'm messing around.

Sparky 6

Within a few months I will be trying it for my RA. Harborside has had something like it and I'm going to get a couple of plants a grow it. I've been treating pain and swelling with Indica but really anxious to try it with a high CBD plant I can grow myself. Hoping someone else chimes in with experience already.

diffusing

dont have any specific experience, but I am anxiously watching this closely myself. Personally, I would prefer high cbd/low thc. I am currently growing CBD Skunk Haze from CBD Crew.. haven't flowered it out yet. I think its 6% THC 6% CBD.. or something like that.. which in theory cancels out the THC high while still getting the benefits of THC. anyway, google cbd crew and take a look at their beans. they breed specifically for high CBD... hope this helps someone. finding a harlequin or cannatonic high cbd cut here is pretty much impossible.. and iirc cannatonic has 6 phenos, only one is the freakishly high cbd one. Never seen a harlequin bean. so rolling the dice unless you get cuts. so cbdcrew beans it is for me!

Photorikki

I have really bad incurable psoriasis all over my body.
It is an autoimmune disease.
Its horrible red patches that feel like dry alligator skin all over me in many different spots.
I have wanted to use the oil ever since hearing about rick simpson's oil. But now I'd love to try the high cbd or cbd only strain instead.
I haven't got the money for the oil nor can I grow the amount that I need to make it myself. I've been hoping to hear from someone with severe psoriasis like myself,

nintey

Hey everyone and thanks for all the replies so far. I have been very interested in seeing all the information coming out lately on cbd rich cannabis, particularly a study that showed that high cbd levels help to ameliorate the memory blunting effects of thc. I know that the memory side effects of cannabis is unwanted by a lot of people who are looking to use it in a purely medical context.

I would love to be able to grow my own as it's impossible to know what levels of cannabinoids are found in stuff around here. I live in Illinois and I am hoping to get my medical card shortly but there is still a million legislative hoops that dispensarys are going through before they get the ball rolling.

While I see cannabis as a very interesting treatment for the symptoms of auto immune disease I don't believe it to be a cure for any. As a medical student who personally suffers from A.I issues I have done countless hours of research into scholarly articles and so far the most cutting edge information leads me to believe that much of these disease come from the intestinal flora or bacteria that we have. Having said that the most relief I have personally experienced has been through modifying my diet towards a more paleo/ low carbo hydrate style of eating. While it does take a lot of effort and it is not easy saying no to pizza it has made my life transform to unbearable to semi normal. Just a small side note, didn't mean to derail the conversation :) again thanks for all the comments!

diffusing

I have really bad incurable psoriasis all over my body.
It is an autoimmune disease.
Its horrible red patches that feel like dry alligator skin all over me in many different spots.
I have wanted to use the oil ever since hearing about rick simpson's oil. But now I'd love to try the high cbd or cbd only strain instead.
I haven't got the money for the oil nor can I grow the amount that I need to make it myself. I've been hoping to hear from someone with severe psoriasis like myself,

From what I read, people have had success using oil topically, combined with coconut oil to help absorption. Never heard any results specific to high cbd strains though. Since its applied topically, there is no high..

The example of it being cured I saw was using skunkpharms holy annointing oil recipe applied to the skin. it uses honey oil as a base.. if you can find honey oil, it may be worth a shot.

personally, i'm about to try it with just bud / coconut oil as i dont have access to honey at the moment.

this should get rid of the patches, but I guess to address the underlying problem.. the autoimmune issue, taking oil internally with a high cbd strain would be the best bet. Not seen any info on this at all yet.

good luck, and if you have any success let us know.

hom

Veteran
Hey folks...here in Ireland cannabis is illegal but hemp is allowed once you have a licence from the government. A friend has been growing it here for 12 years and making materials and insulation...etc. In the past 3 years he has been making a juice from the buds and freezing it immediately once ready. It has been passed by our health board as a nutritional supplement, but its impossible to get branded as a medicine. Lots of red tape. I have been providing people from all walks of life with this stuff and it seems to be working very well. My own mother is taking it and her arthritis pain has been severely reduced. She's off her regular medication and seems to have a new sense of vigor. I know its a great remedy for inflammation and the sooner people are allowed to experiment and test it, the better we will all be. There has been 10 acres planted out this summer and that should equate to a lot of beneficial juice. Here's to the future of alternative medicine....I'm recording all the data and information from the people I have helped and it definitely seems to be working. Bring on the CBD.

Sparky 6

I have been taking an oral supplement that I get from my dispensary that is CBD heavy and it does vitalize me- it makes me feel 20 years younger at times. I also use a cannabis topical on my joints directly when in serious pain and it really works well also. Still I'm looking to grow my own high CBD/low THC plants and make BHO and my own topical.

nintey

Awesome article Cool Moe, I know this sounds totally dumb to some of you but I wish there was a way to ingest cannabis without having to have the psychoactive effects. Don't get me wrong, it has it's place in my heart but during a school week it would be nice.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Awesome article Cool Moe, I know this sounds totally dumb to some of you but I wish there was a way to ingest cannabis without having to have the psychoactive effects. Don't get me wrong, it has it's place in my heart but during a school week it would be nice.

There is. CBD. High CBD strains that have equal or greater amounts of CBD than THC will not get you high.
Harlequin & Charlotte's Web are two examples.

Runt

I use cannabis mainly for my osteoarthritis, using weed keeps me off opiates BUT I also use presciption meds as weed alone wouldn´t do the job.

maree

CBD- epilepsy and inflammatory diseases.

CBD- epilepsy and inflammatory diseases.

I am no expert, but there have been many documented cases. Use the search feature. Even Florida is allowing some tightly restricted use of CBD in Charlotte's web to treat childhood epilepsy.

I think you'll get a lot of response to this. BTW, you need 50 posts before they allow you to use the PM system here.

There is currently a mess of fraud associated with this. I think once the feds take it off Schedule I so labs can get it and test it, things will get WAY better fast. Expect in 3-5 years at the latest the mmj system will have a whole new/better look.

I have read there has been great success with the harlequin and the cannatonic (sp?) strains too. Maybe lots of others too I think, but these 2 I know. Again, be cautious.

Thought this would be of interest to those reading this forum. Please watch it - it really is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciQ4ErmhO7g

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
dont have any specific experience, but I am anxiously watching this closely myself. Personally, I would prefer high cbd/low thc. I am currently growing CBD Skunk Haze from CBD Crew.. haven't flowered it out yet. I think its 6% THC 6% CBD.. or something like that.. which in theory cancels out the THC high while still getting the benefits of THC. anyway, google cbd crew and take a look at their beans. they breed specifically for high CBD... hope this helps someone. finding a harlequin or cannatonic high cbd cut here is pretty much impossible.. and iirc cannatonic has 6 phenos, only one is the freakishly high cbd one. Never seen a harlequin bean. so rolling the dice unless you get cuts. so cbdcrew beans it is for me!

In my experience you still get a buzz from CBD/THC 1:1 balance plants. It's different though.

To the OP:

I have Type 1 Diabetes (autoimmune) and my blood sugars have been excellent and only seem to get better with increasing my doseage of cannabis. There are studies to back up this thought too.

Given it is an immune system modulator, I'd definitely give it a go for your case. CBD rich plants are definitely a great place to start.

It's interesting that folks brought up epilepsy as I did not realize it had been associated with autoimmune disorders. Thanks for that info.

CATRYNA49

Hey there, new to the forum but not new to cannabis!

Hope I am not breaking any rules by making a post about this topic but I am currently interested in the potential health benefits of high cbd/ low thc cannabis. I used to smoke cannabis recreationally when I was younger but I stopped when I became a serious student in college. Unfortunately I developed some pretty serious autoimmune issues two years ago(possibly from a latent tuberculosis infection) and I have been struggling to find some palliative treatment for my pain and inflammation that does not have dangerous side effects.

My question is pretty simple, have any of you used cannabis to help treat any sort of autoimmune issues, or any other diseases that are inflammatory in nature? I am partially looking for relief from pain with out the major stoning effects(hence the low thc) but I am also hoping that the cbd can treat the source of the pain( the inflammation).

Also if anyone has any experience with strains that they think might be useful for this sort of thing, any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks again for any help and information, and I look forward to being a positive member of the community here!

I have autoimmune disease (Hashimotos) and use Harle-Tsu (Kryptonite) for it. My Thyroid levels have improved greatly since using this strain. I also use Cannatonic for nerve pain caused by surgery.

Latest posts

Latest posts