What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Strains for Chronic Pain?

Tom Petty

I have been reading a lot peoples' personal experiences on this forum and others and some first hand accounts on taking large doses of prescription pain killers over many years as prescribed.

My hope is to quit taking my prescribed Morphine Sulphate 200mgs. 5 X daily and 6 30mgs. of oxycodone for breakthrough pain. I have already pretty much weaned myself off of the oxycodones, but I am really concerned about the Morphine. I would much rather smoke some really good bud for my chronic pain. I had ten surgeries for bone cancer when I was in my early twenties, including two cadaver transplants and ten bone grafts they rook from me. So I have been taking narcotics for thirty years plus.

I have been getting high for over forty years and I have not smoked any bud yet that I can honestly say killed any pain. I am hoping that is because I have never had access to any of the killer bud that is going around these days. I have been looking at all the new strains different seed companies are offering and different ones claim to kill pain here and there. Some claim ones like Harlequin, or Otto #1 or Cannatonic or Silver Pearl, This Kush or that Kush have high CBD. Or someplace I read the strain has to have a certain THC molecule in it or something.

I would really appreciate any suggestions on the best strains for killing chronic pain. Thai Sticks are the strongest thing I can ever remember smoking and that was in the early 70's. Some of it was supposed to have been dipped in opium. It was very potent and perfumey. Of course I smoked that way before the cancer and the pain kllers. But I was thinking of trying some of the new Thai, and some of the Blue Moonshine, Cinderella 99, Granddaddy Purple, Strawberry Cough, Chrystal, Blue Velvet, and a Hash Plant of some sort. Are those decent choices? And good pain killers?

Thanks in advance for any help.

S

SeaMaiden

I'm going to suggest you start going through Gray Wolf's posts on extractions. If your pain is extreme remember that cannabis can attenuate the opiates, thus allowing you to take less medication. I think you'll want to focus also on high-CBD strains, perhaps look through what offerings are available that are high in CBDs, and then you may even want to go further and extract them.

Rinse

Veteran
"Parvati" from real seeds has been effective meds for fibromyalgia and muscle pain, there is a thread on it but probably cant link it here. The strain also has cbd in some pheno's

Karmic Farmer

Veteran
Hope you find something that works for you! I've managed to wean my MS Contin down from 200 mg 2 x day to 50 mg 2 x day in the past year or so. I've found that Bubba Kush, SoCal Masterkush, and similar strains work fairly well for me, but it seems more a state of mind than actual pain relief as I don't find myself concentrating so much on the pain, but other things that need my attention. Concentrates and alternative methods are whole different story though, if your pain is that bad maybe try some Simpson Oil or even juicing raw cannabis and see how that works for you.
I am very interested in the high CBD strains Green Supreme mentioned above plus a few others I've read about. Blue Cough comes to mind in the Michigan area.

Peace,
KF

Tom Petty

Hope you find something that works for you! I've managed to wean my MS Contin down from 200 mg 2 x day to 50 mg 2 x day in the past year or so. I've found that Bubba Kush, SoCal Masterkush, and similar strains work fairly well for me, but it seems more a state of mind than actual pain relief as I don't find myself concentrating so much on the pain, but other things that need my attention. Concentrates and alternative methods are whole different story though, if your pain is that bad maybe try some Simpson Oil or even juicing raw cannabis and see how that works for you.
I am very interested in the high CBD strains Green Supreme mentioned above plus a few others I've read about. Blue Cough comes to mind in the Michigan area.

Peace,
KF

Wow! I never dreamed I'd find someone taking the same meds as I do. I just take the generic version of MS Contin 200mgs.

Congratulations on your success at cutting down on the Morphine! I hope I can do as well as you are, it also makes me very hopeful that I will.

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me some wonderful suggestions. I will read up on what you suggested.

Also thank you very much Sea Maiden and Rinse for your suggestions as well. I will also read up on what you suggested.

I appreciate all the very timely responses.

Tom Petty

Thank you very much also Green Supreme. I wanted to edit you into my first answer but for some reason I am not allowed to edit my posts.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Learning to fly?

Learning to fly?

Tom Petty,

breeding an effective pain killing strain is one of my primary goals, I have a family member/patient that has been on fentanyl patches/oxycotin/morphine sulfate/methadone with Norco/percocet for breakthrough pain for going on 2 decades now as well... and finding a variety that can help him reduce his needs for opiates or at the minimum help slow down his tolerance build up to the opiate drugs (by supplementing the opiate use, synergistically, with effective cannabinoids) is of upmost importance... cause as his tolerance to the opiates build he needs higher and higher doses of the opiates in order for them to be effective and he has, already, before reached the highest dosage level possible while still suffering extreme pain.

I have been reading a lot peoples' personal experiences on this forum and others and some first hand accounts on taking large doses of prescription pain killers over many years as prescribed.

My hope is to quit taking my prescribed Morphine Sulphate 200mgs. 5 X daily and 6 30mgs. of oxycodone for breakthrough pain. I have already pretty much weaned myself off of the oxycodones, but I am really concerned about the Morphine. I would much rather smoke some really good bud for my chronic pain. I had ten surgeries for bone cancer when I was in my early twenties, including two cadaver transplants and ten bone grafts they rook from me. So I have been taking narcotics for thirty years plus.

I have been getting high for over forty years and I have not smoked any bud yet that I can honestly say killed any pain. I am hoping that is because I have never had access to any of the killer bud that is going around these days. I have been looking at all the new strains different seed companies are offering and different ones claim to kill pain here and there. Some claim ones like Harlequin, or Otto #1 or Cannatonic or Silver Pearl, This Kush or that Kush have high CBD. Or someplace I read the strain has to have a certain THC molecule in it or something.

I would really appreciate any suggestions on the best strains for killing chronic pain. Thai Sticks are the strongest thing I can ever remember smoking and that was in the early 70's. Some of it was supposed to have been dipped in opium. It was very potent and perfumey. Of course I smoked that way before the cancer and the pain kllers. But I was thinking of trying some of the new Thai, and some of the Blue Moonshine, Cinderella 99, Granddaddy Purple, Strawberry Cough, Chrystal, Blue Velvet, and a Hash Plant of some sort. Are those decent choices? And good pain killers?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm going to suggest you start going through Gray Wolf's posts on extractions. If your pain is extreme remember that cannabis can attenuate the opiates, thus allowing you to take less medication. I think you'll want to focus also on high-CBD strains, perhaps look through what offerings are available that are high in CBDs, and then you may even want to go further and extract them.

Peace,
KF

like Seamaiden suggests... make concentrates, then like Karmic Farmer suggests... juice the raw leaves and consume your concentrates orally... inhalation of the smoke or vapors are unlikely to actually kill any of the pain and like KF says will likely only take your mind off of it.

but, oral doses of cannabinoids can work synergistically with the opiate medicines there by increasing their pain killing qualities without the increase in negative side effects or the risk of overdose by simply taking more medicine.

also in their raw carbolic acid forms, you can consume far greater amounts of cannabinoids thereby increasing their effectiveness without the psychoactive affects... meaning you can take a shitload of THCa and CBDa to help with Your pain without turning into a zombie or simply being too wasted.

Running Down A Dream!
Peace,
Infi

bigdaddyc9

As a chronic pain patient on a high dose of Oxycontin,480mg daily,I have found that any "white" strains of cannabis help manage my pain.White Russian from SeriousSeeds was the very best.I use 180mg of Roxicodone for breakthrough.I am hoping within the next year to quit all opiate pain meds and use cannabis instead.The side effects from opiates are slowly killing me and bringing down my quality of life.I hurl constantly.I have a Marinol script but it makes me too paranoid ,for the doeage I need for it to be effective make me not want to leave my bedroom.NY FRee the Weed for those in Need!!

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Ailment Specific Medical Marijuana Strain Guide

(Afghanica) Nausea, pain

(Afghanie x Haze) PMS

(AK-47) Pain, nausea, depression, insomnia, headache

(Alien Train Wreck) Asthma

(Apollo 13) Back pain

(Auntie Em) Crohn's Disease, MS

(Aurora B) Nausea, joint pain, arthritis

(Berry-Bolt) Insomnia, joint pain

(Big Bang) Used to sedate and relieve stress & anxiety amongst sufferers of severe anxiety,etc.(EDITED/ADDED by Apprentice.Source Greenhouse Seeds Co.)Cannabis cup winner, the reviews mention its medicinal properties.

(Big Kahuna) Herniated disc pain, arthritis

(Black on Blue Widow) HIV, back pain

(Black Vietnamese) Nausea, muscle spasms, pain

(Blue Fruit) Crohn's Disease, muscle spasms

(Blue Moonshine) Anxiety, depression, insomnia

(Blue Satellite x Jack Herer) Depression, nausea

(Blue Satellite) Pain, nausea, insomnia, anxiety, muscle tension

(Blueberry) Nausea, insomnia, pain

(Bog Sour Bubble) Pain, anxiety

(Bonzo Bud) Body pain, migraine

(Budacolumbia) Nausea

(Burmaberry) Migraine, depression

(Burmese kush) Anxiety, depression

(C99 x Great White Shark) Anxiety

(Cali-O) Nausea

(Catalyst) PMS

(Cinderella 99) Nausea

(CIT) Pain, nausea, insomnia

(Citral) Insomnia

(Cripple Creek) Ankylosing Spondilitis, Hepatitis C, Degenerative Disc Disease, IBS, Interstitial Cystitis, Chronic Rotator Cuff Disease

(Deep Chunk) Joint pain, insomnia

(Dynamite) Asthma, Crohn's Disease, Hepatitis C

(NYC Sour Diesel) Edema, epilepsy, fibromyalgia, radiculopathy

(El Nino) Nausea, insomnia

(Fieldale Haze) Anxiety, back pain

(Fig Widow) Back pain, psychosis

(Firecracker) Anxiety, depression, nausea

(G13 x HP) Nausea, joint pain, insomnia

(G-13) Depression, pain, ADD, ADHD

(Grapefruit) Arthritis, Hepatitis C, pain, nausea

(Green Queen) Epilepsy, neck/spine pain

(Green Spirit x Timewarp x Herijuana) RLS, insomnia, migraine, joint pain

(Green Spirit) Nausea, headache, body pain

(Herijuana x Trainwreck) Diabetic neuropathy, joint pain, insomnia, MS

(Herijuana) Pain, nausea, insomnia

(Ice Princess x Bubblegum) Migraine

(Jack Herer) Anxiety, fibromyalgia

(Juicy Fruit) Insomnia, joint pain, anxiety

(Kali Mist) Nausea, depression

(Kal-X) Body pain

(Killer Queen) Depression, back pain

(Krinkle x Kush x Freezeland) MS muscle spasms

(Leda Uno) Insomnia

(Legends Ultimate Indica x Herijuana) Muscle spasms, pain

(Legends Ultimate Indica) Insomnia, IBS

(Lemon Chemo) Insomnia, back pain, migraine

(Lemon Haze) RLS, chronic fatigue

(Lifesaver) Nausea, headache, pain, insomnia

(Lollipop) Cachexia, degenerative bone/disc disease, edema, general pain, general seizures, glaucoma, migraine, MS, nausea, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

(Lowryder) Nausea, pain, headache

(LSD) Nausea, anxiety, depression, headache

(M-39) Depression

(Magic Crystal) Migraine, PMS, depression, SADS, mania, nausea

(Mango x Northern Lights # 5) Pain, nausea, insomnia, anxiety

(Mango) Back pain, nausea

(Masterkush) Nausea

(Medicine Woman) Diabetic neuropathy, general pain, general seizures, glaucoma, Hepatitis C, muscle spasms, nausea, radiculopathy

(Misty) Hepatitis C, back pain, insomnia, nausea

(Motarebel Oguana Kush) Nerve Pain, muscle spasms, back pain, headache, insomnia

(Mountainberry) Insomnia, migraine, pain

(Northern Lights # 1) Arthritis

(Northern Lights # 2) Nausea, insomnia

(Northern Lights x Jamaican) Arthritis

(Northern Lights x Cinderella 99) Depression

(Northern Lights x Shiva) Body pain, back pain, toothache

(Northern Lights) Anxiety, radiculopathy, insomnia

(Northernberry) Pain

(Oregon 90) Insomnia, joint pain, RLS, pain, nausea

(Original Mystic) Epilepsy

(OG kush purple)

(Phaght Betty) Cachexia, degenerative bone/disc disease, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

(Queen Bee) Neck/spine pain

(Sensi Star) Migraine
????: TreatingYourself.COM Online Community http://www.treatingyourself.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37970

(Shiskaberry x Dutch Treat) Migraine, anxiety, insomnia, nausea

(Shiskaberry x Hash Plant) Anxiety, nausea

(Skunk # 1) Nausea

(Snow White) PMS

(Sour cream) Insomnia, joint pain, nausea

(Stardust 13) Pain, nausea, insomnia

(Strawberry Cough) Back pain, depression

(Super Impact x AK-47) Pain, insomnia

(Super Impact) Nausea, insomnia, muscle pain, depression, anxiety, SADS, mania

(Super Silver Haze) Nausea, depression

(Super Thai) Depression

(Sweet Blu) Degenerative bone/disc disease, diabetic neuropathy, edema, fibromyalgia, muscle spasms, nausea, neck/spine pain

(Sweet Tooth # 3) Depression

(Trainwreck x Herijuana) Nausea

(Trainwreck) Anxiety, arthritis, diabetic neuropathy, depression

(TW x LUI) Arthritis, nausea

(TX) Arthritis, asthma, general pain, general seizures, glaucoma, MS

(Ultra Green) Insomnia

(Wakeford) Anxiety, nausea, insomnia

(White Rhino - aka Medicine Man) Body pain, back pain, joint pain, insomnia
????: TreatingYourself.COM Online Community http://www.treatingyourself.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37970
(White Russian) Pain, nausea

(White Widow x Big Bud) Depression

(White Widow) Cachexia, Hepatitis C, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Tom Petty

As a chronic pain patient on a high dose of Oxycontin,480mg daily,I have found that any "white" strains of cannabis help manage my pain.White Russian from SeriousSeeds was the very best.I use 180mg of Roxicodone for breakthrough.I am hoping within the next year to quit all opiate pain meds and use cannabis instead.The side effects from opiates are slowly killing me and bringing down my quality of life.I hurl constantly.I have a Marinol script but it makes me too paranoid ,for the doeage I need for it to be effective make me not want to leave my bedroom.NY FRee the Weed for those in Need!!

Thanks for answering. When I just took straight OxyContin I also took 500mgs. a day. White Russian sounds great, so does white widow and chrystal. We both have the same goal. To get off of opiates in the next year and just smoke weed.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I battle chronic pain from herniated and degenerative discs, I am also living with a fractured vertebrae, some days the sciatica is so bad I cant walk because of the nerve pain, even all of that doesn't sound like much compared to yours. I just ran some Ice cream and she doesn't particularly smell dank or taste dank, but I'll tell ya she will calm them nerve jolts of instantaneous pain I get right down. I'm not sure if it is all the strain, I also took her exceptionally longer then is normally documented for the strain and I think that may play into it. Even so she will not put you to sleep or get you particularly "blasted" but she has been a miracle to me in that regard. Hope this helps in some small way, take care brother.

Edit- Ice cream is white widow x bubblegum up there on that list for migraines, thinkin its a combo good plant for pain and takin it longer sure seems to have helped. Yield is awesome, affects are not overly powerful so it is a good herb to use during the day and wont put you straight to sleep.

shizznit

The Green Sea as I call it (Green C, or Cr.) is exceptional for PTSD, almost has a disassociative effect, a mindfuck high that allows chronic pain to be forgotten....

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I suffer from severe chronic degenerative disc disease and my pain levels over the past 4 years which I have suffered pain from the minute I wake up to the minute I fall asleet has ranged from 5-8. 24 x 7 . In Fla, the options are surgery and opioids. Surgeons said surgery not good option. Life of opioids. 60 miligram oxycodone a day+ the laxatives to go with it. Introduced cannabis and now take 1-1.12 10mg percocets/day. Huge difference. Fuck you Fla, moving home and biz to California in 2013
That of course opens a whole new question for a different thread ( the mixture of the medicines, do we tell the truth to the regular doc or play the game )
I've had good results with several of the kush's with afpak kush being one of my favorites. This is an older strain, I think 2010. Here's a pic, if you can find it anywhere it's well worth giving it a try if you suffer from any severe back/neck type pain like me ( and offer me some! ):
026ab.jpg

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
Wow y'all is some brave folks...I'm proud to be associated with all pain fighters and sufferers. Wish anything I can do to help comes someone's way !! Stay peace

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This product from tetra labs was also received for the holidays, ( christmas! ) and it does a heck of a job distracting the mind from pain although I still want to learn how to use a "dome and nail? ) for this and wax..If anyone can direct me to a decent tutorial or tutorial video on how to use a "bubbler"? I'd appreciate it. Sometimes I feel like rip van winkle and I can tell you stories of making wet runs from the islands to Fla in the late 70's. Maybe I am rip van winkle :blowbubbles:

Oh, if you want an old school method of delivery, get a regular stainless steel soup spoon. Put a few drops in the center of the spoon and heat it from the bottom. A lighter would be fine. The oil wil become real liquidy so you can turn the spoon and coat the inside. Now take cleaned/ground product and put in there mixing it around. It will soak up the oil which you can either roll or insert in pipe. Old school I know. I need a course on new school :)

019.JPG

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my pain killer and purple pain killer are named appropriately.

chronic headache and spinal cord injury plus a ton of neck pain. totally takes care of me,

med-man

The Hatter

Veteran
"Parvati" from real seeds has been effective meds for fibromyalgia and muscle pain, there is a thread on it but probably cant link it here. The strain also has cbd in some pheno's

Interesting, Parvati is one of those highland Himalayan sativas. The only sativa I have ever tried which kills pain is Nepelese Jam which is 75% highland Himalayan, the same group of land race strains that parvati comes from. There is something special about the plants that come from that region. I highly recommend highland Himalayan sativas to anyone who has pain but doesn't tolerate indicas well.

I find cannabis is not a very potent pain killer, but it does definitely augment the effects of opioids so you can get by with less which is always a good thing. Opiates will really do a number on you if you take them in high doses for a long period of time.