What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush grows out some homemade mystery seeds

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
That coffee smell sounds amazing and is exactly why I recently bought some of Verdant Green's pre98-bubba seeds! I'd be so happy to get a decent yielding coffee pheno like I remember smoking around here a while back!
Any guess on the genetics of your coffee smelling plant hush?

Man, I spent a good hour last night researching "cannabis that smells like coffee" to try to see if that would help me figure out what is in these genetics. Like you alluded to, bubba kush is one of the most prominent. But I haven't grown any bubba kush since I grew out CBG's Peyote Purple, and I don't remember that getting seeded or even giving me any pollen. But it was an extremely tough time for my wife during that grow. She was approaching the end of her very painful pregnancy if my timeline is correct. I barely remember getting out of bed for that whole year, it seems. I was on autopilot, just trying to survive each day.

But another possibility that came to mind is this: when my wife and I were actually in the moving van, leaving our old life behind, I had a jar of seeded KxNL F2 buds that we were smoking. It was all we had left. So I had told her to keep throwing the seeds back in the jar every time we packed a bowl, which is a habit we've gotten into over the years. After arriving to our new home, that jar of seeds would have inevitably been transferred to a Tupperware container of seeds, and put in my horticulture storage tubs. A while later after buying a house and moving from the rental into it, I would have unpacked everything from those tubs, because I was going to grow out another garden of Ace seeds.

Well I'm thinking that it's possible that this is the container of seeds from that jar of KxNL F2s we were smoking on the road. If so, though, that would make these plants F3s, and that would leave me wondering why there was so much diversity. Aren't F3 generations supposed to be a bit more homogeneous?

Although, I did start this journal off marveling about how uniform the plants were. Hmmm.

But they're clearly not all that uniform in the end, so I don't know. If that theory is correct, it also means that this would have been the F3 progeny of my least favorite KxNL F2, because it was the last jar, and we save the under-matured buds for last, always. So, the buds we were smoking in the moving van were from one of the longer-flowering plants in that F2 generation, which was harvested before maturity. But it was seeded, and the seeds had fully matured, so maybe what I'm seeing here is a fuller expression of that genotype now that it's all there is and I wasn't dedicating the garden to its fast flowering sisters.

That was a lot of words. I don't know what I have here, but it seems nice. I don't think I'll ever know what's in these genetics.

RicoT

Haha well, the investigative breakdown of your bean's journey more than makes up for not definitively knowing the genetics.
Bang up job on the grow and I'm pulling a chair up here to the sidelines if you'll have me! :tiphat:

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Man, I spent a good hour last night researching "cannabis that smells like coffee" to try to see if that would help me figure out what is in these genetics. Like you alluded to, bubba kush is one of the most prominent. But I haven't grown any bubba kush since I grew out CBG's Peyote Purple, and I don't remember that getting seeded or even giving me any pollen. But it was an extremely tough time for my wife during that grow. She was approaching the end of her very painful pregnancy if my timeline is correct. I barely remember getting out of bed for that whole year, it seems. I was on autopilot, just trying to survive each day.

But another possibility that came to mind is this: when my wife and I were actually in the moving van, leaving our old life behind, I had a jar of seeded KxNL F2 buds that we were smoking. It was all we had left. So I had told her to keep throwing the seeds back in the jar every time we packed a bowl, which is a habit we've gotten into over the years. After arriving to our new home, that jar of seeds would have inevitably been transferred to a Tupperware container of seeds, and put in my horticulture storage tubs. A while later after buying a house and moving from the rental into it, I would have unpacked everything from those tubs, because I was going to grow out another garden of Ace seeds.

Well I'm thinking that it's possible that this is the container of seeds from that jar of KxNL F2s we were smoking on the road. If so, though, that would make these plants F3s, and that would leave me wondering why there was so much diversity. Aren't F3 generations supposed to be a bit more homogeneous?

Although, I did start this journal off marveling about how uniform the plants were. Hmmm.

But they're clearly not all that uniform in the end, so I don't know. If that theory is correct, it also means that this would have been the F3 progeny of my least favorite KxNL F2, because it was the last jar, and we save the under-matured buds for last, always. So, the buds we were smoking in the moving van were from one of the longer-flowering plants in that F2 generation, which was harvested before maturity. But it was seeded, and the seeds had fully matured, so maybe what I'm seeing here is a fuller expression of that genotype now that it's all there is and I wasn't dedicating the garden to its fast flowering sisters.

That was a lot of words. I don't know what I have here, but it seems nice. I don't think I'll ever know what's in these genetics.

I've found old bags of seeds from years ago that I didn't write on the bag and label the seeds. I've started making sure that I label any bags of seeds. But I could see myself forgetting to label something from time to time.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Yeah, I hope to never experience this again. I think I made this analogy already earlier in the thread, but it feels like a song that ends in a suspended chord... Unresolved. :biggrin:

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Man, I spent a good hour last night researching "cannabis that smells like coffee" to try to see if that would help me figure out what is in these genetics.

With a lot of these plants that have been an out crossing breed to an other out crossed plant (different genetics/strains) and so on can lead to different pheno's that could pop up from time to time.

I've grown out some stuff that I've made (and known what they where) I've seen pheno's show up that I hadn't seen in the parents seed stock. I've been able to guess about those pheno's from the grandparents. Others I've been able to ask folks who know the make up of those different crosses.

So the aroma of one plant (pheno) can help lead you to a possible idea of what one parent may have bee several generations ago.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Not a bad harvest for a just-for-the-hell-of-it garden. :cool:

ZnstfG9.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Done. Total weight (including estimate from first plant harvested, which wasn't weighed) was basically 3.3 ounces. Crappy yield, but that wasn't what this grow was about. Now I know it's worth growing these seeds out in the big garden.

:tiphat: Good day, y'all.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Thank you.

So now that I've sampled a few of the plants, I know that there is skunk in there. Whether these are Northern Skunk F2s or the result of some unknown plant being crop dusted with Sweet Skunk pollen, I can't say. But several of the plants' aromas have resolved into a cheese smell that I remember from those genetics. It's like top shelf parmesan cheese, lol. There's some fruitiness going on in some plants too. The white cake smell has resolved into a fruity smell. And that coffee smelling one now smells like an unusual, dank smelling aroma I can't put my finger on. Like earthy mixed with sweet.

There is not one single whiff of Kush. I don't officially believe this came from KxNL.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
To complicate matters further... That really good-smelling one that started off with white cake aroma has now become a solid Mandarin orange aroma in the jar. I have never grown any plants that smelled like this before.

:dunno:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
^ Good point.

I just busted out a new jar, and this one doesn't have much of a noticeable aroma, but it tastes like pinolene! :cool:

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
You never know what kind of plants you'll get some times from crosses. I grew out some seeds two years ago, that I made some where around 2008-11. I got one pheno that popped out, with a smell/flavor I've never ever seen and smelt. Like most stuff it was a mix of genetics and a sativa pheno popped up. She had an up high and not a indica high. This was stuff you could smoke and go to work and be alert to everything.

Latest posts

Latest posts