What's new

Photoperiod to loosen overly dense indicas

oceangrownkush

Veteran
So pretty soon here I'll be attempting to pollinate the OGKB cut and I want to try the "indica photo period" I've read about on here, I believe it's 13/11 to get a longer flowering period and bigger/looser buds on an Indica, is this correct?

Has anyone done a side by side on different indica dominant plants and seen the difference personally?

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I went from a 12/12 to a 13.5/10.5 and one of the strains is Indica dominate. This was done in conjunction with installing 115 watts of Far Red for dusk and dawn.
The first full harvest under this lighting schedule is in mid trim. It is denser than the previous plants. Just a little larger but the yield looks to be half again as much.
The stalks and branches were significantly stiffer, the usual supports were not necessary.

I do not know what adding that much extra light would do without the Far Red, depends on the exact strain I guess.

Attachments

• Indica bagseed, five ounces were removed before this photo, about seven ounces left to trim..jpg
    Indica bagseed, five ounces were removed before this photo, about seven ounces left to trim..jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 10

PNWCannaman

If I remember correctly, DJ short says that a 12/12 or 13/11 will give plants a more indica phenotype, while the 11/13 or 10/14 will give you more sativa phenotype.

If you're asking that 13/11 will give a more "indica" phenotype I would agree, I am no serious breeder but seems like DJ short seems to think along those lines.

He also recommends switching back to mh for the last two weeks to help ripening or some shiz, never tried it tho.

As far as loosening up tight nugs I would that the light schedule probably wont help, generally it's strain dependent of the cooks to be hard lil butt nugs but If you can I would say move your lights further away or reduce watts per square foot or possibly switching to a 6500k mh for bloom instead of changing the light schedule.

Possibly cross that to a known larfy strain and pick larfy cookie phenos...??? :) mmmmm.... makes me want some cookie wreck....

wait til week 4 or 5 to pollinate for maximum seed action and let her go 60-70 days for the seeds to ripen.
hope that helps

oceangrownkush

Veteran
I didn't really explain well in the OP. The OGKB cooks is so dense that it tends to abort seed offspring, that's my theory at least because when I tried to pollinate her I got a lot of misshapen white seeds. So I'm asking if a different photo period would induce a less dense more loosely stacked nug.

PNWCannaman

I don't know if the light schedule will do what you want for your certain strain.
It might not like it so much if it has adapted to your current environment.

But Im thinking of several ideas to loosen up buds.

~try pollinating a lower bud those are generally looser than tops
~go nitrogen heavy during first few weeks of flowering to stimulate more leafy growth vs bud growth
~Place the girl in the shade or under a large plant for shade to increase loose growth(could just make her stretch up to light and be dense anyways)
~raise the lights higher (could just make her stretch up to light and be dense anyways)
~use lower wattage light (get a carboard box or Rubbermaid and use a cfl for seed making)
~use 6500k- 10000k MH instead of hps
~top the shit outa the plant so she resembles a super bushy mom, those always throw looser popcorn nugs

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts