What's new

Noob with root rot

bigmac78

Hello all,
I originally post under New Grower but got to thinking about it and this is probably where the knowledge base hangs out. I am new to the site and not sure how to link to other posts so I will just recreate it as best I can.

I received a couple Deathstar clones from a buddy on Friday. One of the girls is not looking so good. I showed a picture to my local grow shop on Saturday and they thought it was possibly root rot.

I watered about 2 cups Friday night with a light dose of nutes. There was some drainage after about 30-45 sec.

The stock is softer at the bottom than the top.

I have not watered her since Friday but she was feeling really light so I gave her 1.5 cups of water with no nutes this morning.

Do you all think it is root rot or something else? If so is there anything to be done at this point?

Here is my current setup;
10'x5'x6.5' tent
1 gallon pots
Tupur soil
General Organics BioThrive, BioMarine, CalMag
Temp have been between 70-80F
Well water ph is 6.2~

Attachments

• IMG_20160118_132234.jpg
    IMG_20160118_132234.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 12
I'm not familiar with the soil or what's in it. But typically I only water with water for fresh clones. You may have overdone it with using nutes.

it's my experience that the only nutrient to ever use is Earthworm castings mixed in water. That's as far as you really want to go nutrient wise if anything.

Clones and seedlings need time to establish. Too early for nutes. Flush it with water, and leave it alone for 2 weeks. Then reevaluate the situation. Do not expect results immediately. This is shock but they will recover

If you can buy RO water do so. It's ion hungry and will soak up and hold onto the nutrients you used better than regular tap. It's just better water for rinsing mistakes

bigmac78

Thanks. I did get a hit on my other post and they said the same thing. I will flush and wait. Thank you for the quick response.

MKJack85

I had Pythium (aka ROOT ROT) attack all my bells in one of my 4x4 trays. I run (3) 4x4 trays and one of my water chillers broke on me and didn't realize until my roots started to turn brown. Its not like the brown tint you get from using dark, concentrated nutrient.. all you have to do is pull at them slightly and if the roots pull apart easily you got root rot. When that happens I replace all the tubing, net pots and hydroton and bleach the @#@$ out of the tray. But prevention is the best tool against Pythium make sure your water doesn't get into the mid to upper 70's, make sure your water in your tank gets plenty of oxygen and make sure your clean.

Bentley Herbs

Clones don't really need to be babies like seedlings. Clones are good with half strength nutrient solution fresh from rooting. Mind you I'm speaking from experience with organic bottled nutrients.

My best advice to you friend, let the medium dry out enough the plant will grow more roots and build itself up. keeping the medium to moist will only give you problems so i wouldn't bother trying to flush it.

Latest posts

Latest posts