What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grow in an apartment?

adam59600

I guess the title is pretty self explanatory, The fiancee and I will be moving soon and we're moving into an apartment. And she's freaking out about me bringing the grow box. It's an old desk (stealthed out) with a 150 watt hps.... our main concerns are the maintenance people coming in the apartment while we are not there and finding it!....
I'm figuring since smell,light, and sound are all taken care of we sholdn't have an issue.. I mean who the fuck goes into someone elses apartment and decides to look in their computer desk? Any apartment growers advice is needed.... should i just put a lock on the other bedroom door and tell them "don't go in there, that's where i keep my pittbul, he doesn;t like strangers"? lol

dj digigrow

unless there is a pittbull in that room thats a stupid idea..lol. No offense!

anyway check the search brother! questions like this have been asked a million times!..

Green lung

Veteran
I would just put the box in a bedroom and lock the door when you leave, just incase they come in when your gone. They shouldn't have any reason to go into a bedroom anyways. Its not like they kick the bedroom door to get in. Worst case senario is they come in and your bedroom is locked like i said they won't kick it in. they may just leave a note and say they need to get in there. But really they will never need to get into a bedroom anyways, plus they have to tell prior you to coming in.

your good trust me:tiphat:

est1977

I guess the title is pretty self explanatory, The fiancee and I will be moving soon and we're moving into an apartment. And she's freaking out about me bringing the grow box. It's an old desk (stealthed out) with a 150 watt hps.... our main concerns are the maintenance people coming in the apartment while we are not there and finding it!....
I'm figuring since smell,light, and sound are all taken care of we sholdn't have an issue.. I mean who the fuck goes into someone elses apartment and decides to look in their computer desk? Any apartment growers advice is needed.... should i just put a lock on the other bedroom door and tell them "don't go in there, that's where i keep my pittbul, he doesn;t like strangers"? lol

put a lock on your bedroom door ,and make sure your smell is in tact .It can be done, I've done it several times.

R

rick shaw

Oh bro your looking at it the wrong way. It doesn't mater if you have a Hogans Heroes/James Bond stealth set up. It doesn't mater if you change the locks and put nanny cams on the maintenance. "And shes freaking out about me bring the grow box" Thats it,game over. Your moving into an apartment with the woman you love and intend to marry,congratulations. This is something that she doesn't like,so you will have to decide. Your not missing mega harvests,leave the desk on the curb.

Rudedewd

If you do put a lock on the door don't put something obvious like a padlock or something. If you can't use something discreet I wouldn't use a lock at all. If you put something obvious on the door it screams out that you have something to hide, it's much better to be discrete. If you're cab is light tight they ain't going to see it, there is no reason that they would look in your personal property anyhow.

rocket high

Veteran
man you should see my bedroom its crammed with grow gear ... i have a lock on mine but i also have locks on my other bedroom door to so it doesn't look too suspicious if they ask what they're for? say a relative comes round with kid's/dog and they are always trying to get into your bedrooms to make a mess, so you had to put locks on them ....

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
apartments suck because the property manager needs to do work sometimes..."garbage disposal, window screen replacement, window replacement, bathroom fan replacement" were all excuses they used to go into my apartment after 24 hr notice. i tried setting up a small 150watt cab in my apt but im glad i didnt becuaase they would have found that shit....

adam59600

Oh bro your looking at it the wrong way. It doesn't mater if you have a Hogans Heroes/James Bond stealth set up. It doesn't mater if you change the locks and put nanny cams on the maintenance. "And shes freaking out about me bring the grow box" Thats it,game over. Your moving into an apartment with the woman you love and intend to marry,congratulations. This is something that she doesn't like,so you will have to decide. Your not missing mega harvests,leave the desk on the curb.

I think you may have the wrong impression. She helped me build the cab... she loves growing.. but she is just paranoid about moving into the apartment... we smoke an ounce a week... hard to not grow your own or go broke..

Put a keyed knob on it.. I take it it's a 2 bedroom? The "office" excuse works pretty well.:tiphat:

good idea..

vince514

seeker of greater knowledge
Veteran
lock the door in the bedroom where the box is gonna be ..they cant break down your locked bedroom door ..and if they do thats messed up...imho

adam59600

yeah and it's a desk.... you would never be able to tell its a grow box unless you put your ear right on it...no reason why any landlord/maintenance guy should need to go into your desk... or any personal ropertyfor that matter..

I think it will all be good. i'm gonna go for it and just watch out. from the looks of it, more than a few people have done it without issue. wish me luck... i plan on starting a grow log as soon as i move. will probably be a month or so...until then i will be lingering around here absorbing the wealth of knowledge... wish me luck!

WasntMe

There are many reasons why growing in an apt ..especially moving in with a gf ....is a very bad idea. Many threads about it. and if she is hesitant ... just nix the whole idea.

But since you probably won't listen to the smarter ideas and recommendations of NO:

if you smoke an ounce a week then you may need more then what would be provided by a 150w. Since you have a girl moving in you probably can't give up a closet either.

But if you got a non closet freak girl and can give up one, then setting up a tent inside is pretty easy. .. and so is keeping it locked up. Your ventilation and scrubber will be your biggest priority.

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
pinball wizard is right. they always want to spray for pest. go to your landlord and tell them you prefer to spray your own natural pest sprays. they should be cool with that. figure out the days they come and put a sign on your door saying dont spray. they dont want that extra work. lock the door, theyd only need to get in there if there was a water leak, or maybe to change air filters if they do that? if thats the case again tell them youll do your own. and of course all this also means your gonna want to rent from a large company that dosent want to bother you and expects youll do the same. if your renting from a person that owns their own units theyre likely to be more irritating. i rocked a 400 w cab in a 2br apt for a year at least. was never a prob. dont have ppl over. good luck

CaptainTrips

not all apts are gonna be coming in goin so often, the apt. I was in for a long time... never saw a maintenence person unless I asked for one... I got a notice once about an inspection but they never came in, think the place was being sold and shown...

Tell em you work with pplz personal records and by law you have to have a lock on the door. That is true cause when I collected judgments they came in and made sure I had a locked room to keep the records. Good luck bro. Keep it sticky