What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

## Smartphone Warning and Pic Posting ##

Kirsten

It seems that uploaded pics contain the lat/long data in them which can be access by anyone that views the pic online and lead them straight to your door quite literally.

Therefore, taking pics with smart phones, like an iPhone 4, that have the "Location" option set to ON, will reveal your location in the stored pic data.

To fix this on an iPhone, do this:

- Settings > General > Location Services > (set to OFF) or > Camera > Set to OFF.

This will allow the rest of your apps to still use your gps to gain your location for MapQuest, Google, Banking, etc., however the camera will stop storing the lat/long data and your "places' link will be empty.

Kirsten

Pretty scary thought actually.

I wonder if any authorities have realized this yet.

Something tells me, by the lack of people posting "IVE BEEN BUSTED" on the various growing forums that they have yet to notice this.

That changes today for sure.

Kirsten

This has been posted many times. But good looking out.

Well, i am out of town, and not in the easiest computer using situation. However, i just learned this today, so i posted immediately, minutes after finding out, literally.

I should have searched, I am not surprised the ICMag Oldbies are on the ball as usual. But maybe some newbies who have not seen those threads now know too.

Did not mean to add to forum clutter, but i hope it clues in some who had not known.

microgram

I still prefer a shitty cannon power shot or what ever. I can eat a sd card faster than I can eat my cellphone. :joint:

tequila_sunrise

Your new point and shoot may have it too. It's called geotagging. It is a cool feature for posting your pics to a map but if you don't know about the setting then its no good.

Keep in mind that digital settings are ALWAYS there, they are just 'told' to not show... Computer forensic is a growing field.

Give me a dumb phone any day of the week...

... hell, give me a dumb blond too!