Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Harvesting & Processing > Why Hang Them?

Thread Title Search
Why Hang Them? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2020, 02:26 AM #1
BlindDate

BlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really nice
Why Hang Them?

So being a wet trimmer for the last 10 years I thought that I would give dry a try. I went through all the posts and everyone seems to cut then hang either the whole plant or branches. Some people do mention the difficulty of trimming what with fan leaves and such folded over onto the bud.

So, my question is why not leave the plant in the pot to dry top up? Turn off the water and let it die & dry. My situation is that I don't need to get new clones into the space right away so I can just take my time trimming. Has anyone done this? Do you think it will make it easier to trim??

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:50 AM #2
GMT
I am, therefore I think

GMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivor
Plant dies and turns brown. If too much moisture is present the wet dead buds can then rot. Its not a good plan.
GMT is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:00 AM #3
Hookahhead

Hookahhead has a brilliant futureHookahhead has a brilliant futureHookahhead has a brilliant futureHookahhead has a brilliant futureHookahhead has a brilliant futureHookahhead has a brilliant futureHookahhead has a brilliant futureHookahhead has a brilliant futureHookahhead has a brilliant futureHookahhead has a brilliant futureHookahhead has a brilliant future
I have also wondered this myself. I have considered cutting the plant and hanging it or putting it in a container so that it is still upright. I imagine hanging came along to save space and that’s just what feels natural. You can’t hang branches the other way without clips. Please post back if you try it, I’m actually very interested.

Since you have the space, you could try “ringing” the plant. All this means is cutting about a 1/2 inch to inch strip of the cambian (outer) layer off the tree. This will stop the flow of water to the plant. I have read discussions that say this is supposedly how they made “Columbia gold”, by allowing the plant to yellow and dry in the field. This is also commonly used to prepare a tree as fire wood without actually dropping it until you’re ready.

Edit: actually I read a little more about it and understand now that it stops sugars from flowing to the roots, but water can still pass.

Quote:
Like all vascular plants, trees use two vascular tissues for transportation of water and nutrients: the xylem (also known as the wood) and the phloem (the innermost layer of the bark). Girdling results in the removal of the phloem, and death occurs from the inability of the leaves to transport sugars (primarily sucrose) to the roots. In this process, the xylem is left untouched, and the tree can usually still temporarily transport water and minerals from the roots to the leaves.

Last edited by Hookahhead; 03-31-2020 at 03:13 AM..
Hookahhead is offline Quote

Old 03-31-2020, 03:01 AM #4
BlindDate

BlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really niceBlindDate is just really nice
Why would the plant turn brown? My coco will dry out in one day. How is it different than chopping? Either way = no water.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:37 AM #5
GMT
I am, therefore I think

GMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivor
Don't know, just does. Maybe chlorophyll breaks down quickly, maybe something else.
GMT is offline Quote

Old 03-31-2020, 03:39 AM #6
GMT
I am, therefore I think

Double post
GMT is offline Quote

Old 03-31-2020, 03:59 AM #7
flylowgethigh
grassyhopper

flylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivor
If that got rid of the chlorophyl, that should make the bud a lot tastier. So would that be "curing on the trunk" or something like that?

https://youtu.be/NUmIO_MG5IU?t=87
flylowgethigh is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:24 AM #8
RED 1

RED 1 has a reputation beyond reputeRED 1 has a reputation beyond reputeRED 1 has a reputation beyond reputeRED 1 has a reputation beyond reputeRED 1 has a reputation beyond reputeRED 1 has a reputation beyond reputeRED 1 has a reputation beyond reputeRED 1 has a reputation beyond reputeRED 1 has a reputation beyond reputeRED 1 has a reputation beyond reputeRED 1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindDate View Post
So being a wet trimmer for the last 10 years I thought that I would give dry a try. I went through all the posts and everyone seems to cut then hang either the whole plant or branches. Some people do mention the difficulty of trimming what with fan leaves and such folded over onto the bud.

So, my question is why not leave the plant in the pot to dry top up? Turn off the water and let it die & dry. My situation is that I don't need to get new clones into the space right away so I can just take my time trimming. Has anyone done this? Do you think it will make it easier to trim??
Once flushed, and,rooting system was dry(all under lights),I did try with one plant, trimming her in the dark(in her 18ltr pot) and eventually culled her.Took a few days,but,worked just fine
Was going to adopt the same with this run,but,I was transferring a slight "gnat issue" to other areas
Just recently I read that you have to be slightly careful in case it seeds in the dark.That I'm not to sure about, although I got one seed from the plant I tried the technique on
Hope it helps
RED 1 is online now Quote

Old 03-31-2020, 06:41 AM #9
Lyfespan

Lyfespan has much to be proud ofLyfespan has much to be proud ofLyfespan has much to be proud ofLyfespan has much to be proud ofLyfespan has much to be proud ofLyfespan has much to be proud ofLyfespan has much to be proud ofLyfespan has much to be proud ofLyfespan has much to be proud ofLyfespan has much to be proud ofLyfespan has much to be proud of
for dry trimming i have always chopped entire plant, and dependant on humidity, i either pull fan leaves or not. drying usually takes 7-10 days before its ready to brush leaves off and tote up for cure for 1-2 weeks, then its out the door

letting plants dry on the vine leads to a lot of issues, yeah you can get lucky, but most of the time theres mold and breakage
Lyfespan is offline Quote

Old 03-31-2020, 07:01 AM #10
prune

prune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to all
Ya, I've done this, call it the "raisin cure'. As to why we don't do this? The bud opens up with gravity, loses terps faster, and looks larfy and amateurish.
prune is offline Quote

9 members found this post helpful.