What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Drying outdoors in high humidity/tropics

Irotas

Hi, I was wondering how exactly you dry outdoors, is it humid where you dry?

Do you think I can dry with a daytime humidity of 50-60% and a night time humidity of 90-95 outdoors?

Drying outdoors there seems to be a little moisture left that doesnt evaporate off the flowers due to the humidity, they wont even get you medicated because of the last bit of moisture. How do you get that last bit of moisture out before you jar and cure?

I was thinking I could put the flowers in a bag and place them in the sun or jar them with some rice?

Please help

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Hi, I was wondering how exactly you dry outdoors, is it humid where you dry?

Do you think I can dry with a daytime humidity of 50-60% and a night time humidity of 90-95 outdoors?

Drying outdoors there seems to be a little moisture left that doesnt evaporate off the flowers due to the humidity, they wont even get you medicated because of the last bit of moisture. How do you get that last bit of moisture out before you jar and cure?

I was thinking I could put the flowers in a bag and place them in the sun or jar them with some rice?

Please help

You have come to the right place to ask this question. I live very close to the Equator, where humidity and temperatures are high year round, and I discovered the best way to dry my harvest was to manicure the buds, then staple them in wide sheets of paper folded into bags, before stashing them up in the ceiling, just beneath the roofing sheets.

Metal roofing sheets are common in many tropical countries, and if you can get in the space between the ceiling and the roofing sheets, the temperatures get so high, and the humidity so low in there, that your weed will be completely dry in 2 to 3 days at most.

If you find some residual moisture in the buds a few days after taking them out of the loft, simply fold them back in paper, and stash them up there for another day of drying.

I like to slowly cure my harvest following the highly effective Tangwena protocol described in this forum, and for that my 3 day drying suffices to start the cure, which produces some truly sublime flavors and effects, after a few weeks of curing.

Irotas

You have come to the right place to ask this question. I live very close to the Equator, where humidity and temperatures are high year round, and I discovered the best way to dry my harvest was to manicure the buds, then staple them in wide sheets of paper folded into bags, before stashing them up in the ceiling, just beneath the roofing sheets.

Metal roofing sheets are common in many tropical countries, and if you can get in the space between the ceiling and the roofing sheets, the temperatures get so high, and the humidity so low in there, that your weed will be completely dry in 2 to 3 days at most.

If you find some residual moisture in the buds a few days after taking them out of the loft, simply fold them back in paper, and stash them up there for another day of drying.

I like to slowly cure my harvest following the highly effective Tangwena protocol described in this forum, and for that my 3 day drying suffices to start the cure, which produces some truly sublime flavors and effects, after a few weeks of curing.

Hi, thanks for replying that's seems like a good method. Do you know any other way because I dont have metal roofing sheets and was wondering if this was possible to do outdoors somehow.

Do you think I could manicure the flowers, dry them as much as possible, put them in a large paper bags roll it up kind of tight then sweat them a little bit during the day in the sun? Remove the buds during the day after they have sweated some, continue drying during the day when the humidity is lower then back in the bag at night and repeat until dry?

Will the flowers still sweat even though they are unready a little moist on the outsides?

Treevly

Most pot consumed in North America in the 60s, 70s, and perhaps 80s, came from Mexico or Columbia. You could bet your life that it was not 'jarred and cured.' I should think that it was hung up in a barn or simple shed/s and left there until adequately dry.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Hi, thanks for replying that's seems like a good method. Do you know any other way because I dont have metal roofing sheets and was wondering if this was possible to do outdoors somehow.

Do you think I could manicure the flowers, dry them as much as possible, put them in a large paper bags roll it up kind of tight then sweat them a little bit during the day in the sun? Remove the buds during the day after they have sweated some, continue drying during the day when the humidity is lower then back in the bag at night and repeat until dry?

Will the flowers still sweat even though they are unready a little moist on the outsides?

Drying the harvest in the sun over several days, while bringing it in at night, should dry your buds very well in most tropical locations.

Like Treevly said, the Mexican weed growers who exported brick weed to the USA back in the day, had neither the time nor manpower for such luxuries as curing, in their conveyor belt operations, yet folks happily bought that "commercial grade" weed at ten dollars an ounce, mold and all ha ha.

I recall a buddy once commenting back then that anyone smoking brick weed, would be lucky to get so much as a headache for their trouble. There I go, babbling incoherently again.

I got me the lockdown blues
Lord from my head down, to my shoes
Oooh yeah I got that low down dirty Lockdown blues
So I'll play this guitar, while I pay up, all of my dues.

Ahem..

In short, drying outdoors by day only, over several days, is the way to go.