What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dealing With Runoff?

mexweed

Veteran
no reason not to be able to rinse it down the bathtub unless you made a choice that renders that an unacceptable option

don't panic it's organic, mo hydro mo problems

Succinct

So, I have saucers under my plants, and I just leave the runoff. I water enough for it to run out and fill the saucer halfway.

Within 30 minutes, the soil soaks it back up. Have I been doing this wrong?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So, I have saucers under my plants, and I just leave the runoff. I water enough for it to run out and fill the saucer halfway.

No. Sounds go. Excess can be used on other plants, but a lot of fuss and muss.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor

I have saucers under my plants too but I use a riser to lift the container up so it doesn’t sit in the runoff. The runoff has the excess stuff you want out of the medium. Imo, you probably don’t want it leaching back up into it.

picture.php

I’m not saying that letting the container sit in the runoff won’t work... just be mindful and keep an eye out.

Here’s basically what I use

https://www.zenhydro.com/gro-pro-nx...MIjL_yrdSR6QIVEo7ICh1ajAJ-EAQYASABEgK3ufD_BwE

Succinct

Good point Vanilla. I had some pH issues last run and I'll get some spacers for next time and see if keeping the runoff out makes any difference.

starke

Used to do the shop vac thing but got tired of crawling around on hands and knees. I finally built a six inch high drain table lined with corrugated plastic. It drains into a piece of vinyl gutter that drains through a cutout in the floor into the crawlspace.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor

Lyfespan

fabric pots in 3x6 trays, all trays have 3/4 drain lines that are hooked to 1' pvc that leads outside to water the yard. so my DTW isn't a waste

12'x24' room with 11 3x6 trays 15 lights

trays are great for containment and come in every size you could need. remember that feed and drains should come from tray, thats why they have those lil wells with 2 drill spots

geoffo

I wipe the runoff up where i can.
Leave it to evaporate is building a ton of salt up on the tray/saucer and if subsequent runoff is sat in or running into it without a break in the flow the salts will redissopve carry back up into the soil and defeat the very purpose of watering until runoff appears.
Justmade that mistake this grow with 2 plants i couldnt reach to keep clean and left the runoff to evaporate instead.
Its telling at the end and noticeable beforehand. My plants slowed and almost stalled compared to the others, reduced yield somewhat. When i managed to take a reading, 3280PPM. My others are less than 1000PPM

chusss

best way is with big trails, but if u dont have it can try placing plastic bags under pots and dried it with towels or something like that

Latest posts

Latest posts