What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Market and the Virus.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
The stock market is down about 12% in two weeks with the coronavirus. Japan just announced the closing of all schools for a month. Going with the CDC prediction it will hit the US. Good time to have some cash around.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am glad I saved my ass and bailed on the market late January, but mad I did not short it too. Not sure if this is overdone or not. Chinese are liars and it could be worse than reported.

knucklehead bob

Veteran
I am glad I saved my ass and bailed on the market late January, but mad I did not short it too. Not sure if this is overdone or not. Chinese are liars and it could be worse than reported.
:laughing:

As opposed to the Halo over the United States ????? LMFAO

:tiphat:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
The down side of this looks rough if people panic. The worst day in market history has come early in the viral spread.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
They are just starting the process of cutting house lots into a farm field right next door. This collapse can't come soon enough.

Congrats for sidestepping this train wreck of the everything bubble. Like pack prices dropped so drastically, so will demand for crappy consumer junk in America if this gets legs.

I wood

Converting some extra cash into genetics not represented in seed fridge, two kerelas and kullu.
Would hate for the world to collapse around me and also feel stupid for not getting them when i could.
Got to be prepared.

weedof

It seems to be the same case with crypto .. probably lots of people converting their assets into cash now in these uncertain times

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
What industry will be affected the least?

What industry will be affected the least?

Ok, the shit storm is considerable worse than when this thread started end of February.

Everyone is going "sure of course Recession", but what I'm hearing is "oh fuck Depression".

Seems like gold speculators have been locking in their gains. But the question is: How low will it go? Is $400 too low (end of 1990s)?

Same for silver.

Defense stocks should do well, but the big and mighty have fallen on their face lately (Boeing & Bombardier), so aerospace is all but none existent in all but a few spaces in north america. How about BAE?

Resource sector?

Food. A lot of things were rationed during the great depression. (Sugar and such).

Walmart or Dollar Tree?

Medical/Healthcare?

Hospitality may seem like it's in the shitter too, but companies like HILTON don't actually own their hotels, so maybe they can bounce back easier.

Thoughts?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Once again people who worked their entire lives get their 401ks depleted so that the wealthy can come in and steal the equity for pennies on the dollar. The bullshit with our buddies the Saudis slamming oil prices down makes it so much worse. If that's not enough, the that little bird crumbs get thrown out to help the little people are dwarfed by huge bailouts going to corporations. Can anybody say wealth transfer?

Lyfespan

Once again people who worked their entire lives get their 401ks depleted so that the wealthy can come in and steal the equity for pennies on the dollar. The bullshit with our buddies the Saudis slamming oil prices down makes it so much worse. If that's not enough, the that little bird crumbs get thrown out to help the little people are dwarfed by huge bailouts going to corporations. Can anybody say wealth transfer?

its the russians and saudis fucking with the crude, complete war. wonder why?

russians and french were in the news last year with issues and sales, someone was also sitting on a shit ton of polluted crude, and now oil is below 20 a barrel

seems the powers that be are really fighting shit out, wonder when the real shit is going to hit the fan?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
its the russians and saudis fucking with the crude, complete war. wonder why?

russians and french were in the news last year with issues and sales, someone was also sitting on a shit ton of polluted crude, and now oil is below 20 a barrel

seems the powers that be are really fighting shit out, wonder when the real shit is going to hit the fan?

VW is starting a whole line of affordable electric cars first bringing them out in Europe. I think everyone knows the gig is up on oil and they all want to dup it in the few good demand years left.

St. Phatty

It's shaping up, the $$ I get from the gov - $1200 ? - will go to a stock market account for buying at the bottom.

Will wait till (approx.) the Monday after Sunday May 3 - 4 weeks.

I think there will be something about a MILLION Americans dying from Covid19 that will crush equity markets, regardless of what the Fed does.

and stocks will be available for pennies on the dollar.

of course you have to make sure you buy stock in a company that isn't en route to BK ness.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I don't know if it applies anymore but
Buy on Monday, Sell on Friday.

In any anycase, if you want to make money, buy what I sell, and sell what I buy. Lol

weregild

I sold all my stocks and etf's in the fall of 2018, sitting on the sidelines in the meantime has been brutal, but I have been able to buy a lot of stocks on the cheap these past few weeks.

As far as the whole "rich stealing from the poor" thing, just hang on to your stocks/etfs. your % ownership of the company won't change unless the company buyback shares or issues new ones. You will get your cut of the companies income same as always.

knucklehead bob

Veteran
I'm waiting for the 75% to 90% drop.

You mean this drop ?

89033628_1326960880845464_3640929482891591680_n.jpg

:tiphat: