What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mackerel and Dolphins

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well back again from another outing back home now safe and sound so no worries thanks for looking in sneezydog and no never tried using fishing jugs as i fish in the open sea the tide would take them away quickly ive seen lots of lobster and crab pots took away with the tides and weather where i fish from, the north sea sometimes is unforgiven and the depths i fish is deep most of the times i go several miles offshore same as today but stay within a few miles if the weather is gonna be iffy so can get home fast and to be honest i like having the rod and reel in my hands me against the fish its a buzz at times, most times really ha ha. Anyhow heres todays catch also many returned today a lot under size so back to the water they go thanks for looking in stay safe ..
c.jpg

sneezydog

:) Your filling that box, thats the main thing. Mackerel is a beautiful fish.
I like the rod and reel fight as well. :)
If the weather turns its not fun to go looking for jugs... Great to watch you get better and better at what you do out there. Thats a load of fish. Your getting into lobster traps :) We used to have a stinky 55 gal. of salted oily herring for lobster bait. Ever cold smoke fish fillets? i got ideas.. :) Mm smoked macks. Cheers and blessings .

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:) Your filling that box, thats the main thing. Mackerel is a beautiful fish.
I like the rod and reel fight as well. :)
If the weather turns its not fun to go looking for jugs... Great to watch you get better and better at what you do out there. Thats a load of fish. Your getting into lobster traps :) We used to have a stinky 55 gal. of salted oily herring for lobster bait. Ever cold smoke fish fillets? i got ideas.. :) Mm smoked macks. Cheers and blessings .
Yes this box has been filled many times and its four foot in length but not too deep fits in the back of my car perfect and the freezers are well stocked with different species of fish now,:good: Yes now and again i will drop a lobster pot over the side and collect it when i return from fishing an added bonus really, but to be honest, im not really into lobsters but now and again the wife wants one or two so just to keep the job right i oblige :biggrin: and to answer your question on the cold smoke fillets.. i do none of that my friend,. Im married to a beautiful asian lady who used to be a chef so i get different tasting meals all the time with all the added spices and so on but to be honest a pint and a pie and im happy easily pleased some would say :biggrin::tiphat:but happy i am..:good:Stay Safe All..:thank you:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well once again back from another decent outing 6 hours all in all with 149 mackerel fetched home and also 5 decent cod heaviest weighed in at 8 pounds plus was a little on the windy side but worth the trip fished about 6 miles of land then came closer inshore for the mackerel time to clean up now, filleted and into freezer. Stay safe you all.. :tiphat:
20220821_124808.jpg
20220821_124858.jpg
20220821_145231.jpg

sneezydog

will anything good bite on those mackerel heads? looks like a lot of lobster trap bait otherwise... im always curious at the bycatch in a lobster trap.. crabs, whelks, etc.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow guy. You got it down now with those macks...
Yes for sure macks will take anything shiny and on that note, Here is todays catch 1 and a half hours fishing 51 in total got sick of fetching them on board couldnt get through to the cod today but cannot complain another week and they will more than likely of moved on then cod time and hopefully ling we shall see as for the lobster pots yes it would be good pot bait but most of the mackerel waste is for the neighbours cats and garden and believe it or not my pal feeds his ducks on mackerel what a strange bunch of ducks he must have eh yes lots of by catch always i see from what you mention,. To octopuss enjoying the catch ha ha .. Thanks for looking in. 🐬.
20220822_134916.jpg

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Back from a few hours fishing today done ok with the cod considering it was a bit choppy with the north east wind and also considering i got nothing apart from 3 lobsters yesterday no fish at all so will be eating lobster today and maybes fish during the week time will tell. Mackerel was showing on the fish finder but no takes but still a good few cod for the freezer cannot complain stay safe guys Food photo added dinner time now yum yum..
20230529_192055.jpg
20230529_134751.jpg
20230529_134820.jpg
20230529_134832.jpg
20230529_134839.jpg
20230529_135333.jpg

Last edited:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds good. Lobster and melted butter to dip...
Cheers out there! :) glad you had fun and made it back with food! Always love to see it. Phone loading slow so ill check pics later.
Out on another trip today sneezydog so hopefully more photos to come will be going to a few wrecks today targeting cod and could do with a few whiting but we shall see what the sea gives up, looking forward to it, a few hours out on the ocean cannot beat it, and thanks whoevers looking in, as usual its appreciated..:thank you::tiphat:.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Today went out at the crack of dawn fished for three hours bit of a swell today and fairly windy but was worth it have some nice fresh cod heaviest weighed in at 9 pounds not at 6 as previously stated my mistake as well as a couple of pouting for the freezer but no mackerel threw plenty small codling back and a lot of whiting too never seen any dolphins at all either but water is still a bit cold hopefully temperature will go up soon then the mackerel will be in force so to speak anyhow thats it for now stay safe guys :tiphat: :good:
20230624_110033.jpg

Last edited:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well back safe and sound as of yesterdays fishing trip was offshore about 5 to 7 miles tried a few wrecks plenty of small codling and pouting plus whiting no keepers but all went back for the future dinners ;) had a few hours fishing for mackerel some big shoals as well i was suprised but then again the water is still ok for them better make the most whilst i can as wont be long before they are gone again but a lot of small joeys amongst them then hit into this ling came up from some old wreck weighed in at 16 pounds and 4 foot long hard work but worth it weather permitting will be out again tomorrow so here yesterdays catch and hopefully more to come stay safe guys and thanks for looking in :thank you::tiphat::good:
20230909_135153.jpg
20230909_135219.jpg
20230909_135227.jpg
20230909_143317.jpg
20230909_144153.jpg

buzzmobile

Veteran
The Ling on that side of the pond look different from the Ling in the Gulf.

Cobia are called ling or lemonfish locally. The population has been declining steadily over the years. They are a migratory fish and the spring run was much anticipated. Very good eating too.
1696239028487.jpeg

1696239058323.jpeg

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for looking in guys had a decent day again yesterday :biggrin: Fished a little closer in after trying a few wrecks and nothing doing decided to fish a bit closer to land and caught a few cod pollock mackerel and whiting kept a good few the mackerel was caught on feathers the cod and others bait ,squid and prawns ,Was a good day fished about 5 hours all in..... @ buzzmobile Nice looking ling compared to our ling it almost reminds me of certain catfish and yes i would think it tastes nice too as same as our ling very nice sweet tasting fish i love it nice and solid cannot beat it but today will be eating cod pollock and maybes whiting see what the wife has in store for dinner today yum yum @ sneezydog yes it was caught on mackerel strip tipped off with squid for scent the fight wasnt much to be honest was just like lifting a dead weight once it came out from the wreck and i was using 50lb braid straight through yes 4 foot nice decent size..Well heres yesterdays photos will be out maybes tomorrow we shall see weather pending take care guys stay safe as always..:good:
1 (1).jpg
1 (2).jpg