What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mackerel and Dolphins

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well woke early today so decided to put a hook in the water was an ok hour until a shoal of dolphins showed up and scattered the Mackerel as i only caught the one after they arrived,, but what a sight it was, about six of them breaching the water and a small one.. im guessing was the baby of the group.. as half the size of the others and they must of been im guessing around the 6 foot mark or bigger easy.. all in all a good morning the wife enjoyed seeing them for the first time. Shame I never took my phone as could of video them maybes next time but have fresh mackerel in freezer now anyhow heres the breakfast :biggrin:
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Did you release the dolphins again?
Often wondered if dolphins wont give a good fight :)

Once as a joke, told a guy at the pier asking what I was fishing for. That I was C&R fishing for dolphins, he sure didn't find that funny LOL

Nice mackerels, I love em smoked on toast with mayo and raw onions!

Tight lines

dddaver

Veteran
That was one of the things that just fascinated me when I first moved to Florida. These guys would set up a spotlight on a generator on a pier with the light pointed into the water at night. Attracting schools of mackerel. Then when a school of mackerel appeared they used huge casting nets to get em. Back then (2001) no license was required to salt water fish here in FL. Real art to throwing those casting nets. The thrower readies while holding the retrieving rope in his mouth while spreading the net ready to throw. The good ones were fascinating to watch and could have charged admission just to see it all.

Once, I was sitting "fishing" with my feet dangling off the side on an old bridge they used as a pedestrian bridge after they had built a modern bridge for traffic next to it. I couldn't have been 4-5 feet from the water. All of a sudden a dolphin breaches and blows coming from under the bridge way. Scared the shit out of me and soaked me with his spray while getting air. One of my favorite memories.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
One of my favorite memories.

One of my favorite memories is getting ready to evacuate the resort because of an approaching hurricane and going down to the beach for one last look and seeing a super pod of dolphins.

As far as the eye could see, North/South and out to the horizon, the ocean was packed with fins, all swimming North together.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for looking in guys always appreciated for the look ins and the stories tried another 2 hours today water nice and calm crystal clear, got there just after light broke expecting to hammer them but only got the 2,, seen maybes 10 caught altogether, nothing more.. but im over the moon I did not blank and no show of dolphins today maybes next time anyhow here is todays dinner for me and the wife cannot get much fresher out the water and in me guts all in a couple of hours one with half a jaw top photo had a good hold of the hook.:biggrin:

picture.php
picture.php

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Great looking macks darksider! I bet they were delicious... It's been a while since I've fished the gulf. Used to catch snook, redfish, ladyfish, mangrove snapper (very tastey!) and the occasional pufferfish or stingray. Mostly just fish for large mouth and trout now.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great looking macks darksider! I bet they were delicious... It's been a while since I've fished the gulf. Used to catch snook, redfish, ladyfish, mangrove snapper (very tastey!) and the occasional pufferfish or stingray. Mostly just fish for large mouth and trout now.

The wife cooked some yesterday and tasted delicious and since I was out in the rain this morning again but with better results,, i guess i will be eating more in the next few days had ten today lost 2 but all in all was a good couple of hours and had company in the form of the little bird in photos Turnstone it is then this big ship must of spooked it as it took off sharpish when it approached anyhow heres a few photos of todays outing im grabbing as many mackerel as i can because i know they will be moving on real soon.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I remember night fishing off a pier in Anna Maria down in Florida. Guys were shark fishing using macks and ladyfish. Saw them pull in a nurse shark and a 7 foot bull shark that night. The biggest thing I had caught out there was a 4 foot in diameter stingray who gave me a 45 minute battle on a fishing rod held together with tape and running 10 pound test lol.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I remember night fishing off a pier in Anna Maria down in Florida. Guys were shark fishing using macks and ladyfish. Saw them pull in a nurse shark and a 7 foot bull shark that night. The biggest thing I had caught out there was a 4 foot in diameter stingray who gave me a 45 minute battle on a fishing rod held together with tape and running 10 pound test lol.

That's one thing id love to do shark fishing but could do without the time it takes to land them with my back:biggrin:
Anyhow its a bit windy today but as im out of bed i think its time to get the gear in the car and try to catch some more,, today no rain as of yet,, anyhow time for the off. daylight is breaking and mackarel are waiting hopefullys.:biggrin:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well back from another few hours fishing since this morning and if it was not for the wind and a poxy wasp what stung me in the back of the neck it would of been a good day and ratchy if youre looking in, get that boat sorted m8.
Anyhow had a good day caught 13 today lost a few but still was a good few hours out the house only need another 3 then i have hit my target of fifty would of stayed longer today but my neck is putting and my back is too Anyhow heres a few photos i managed to grab take care all.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Finally back home after 6 hours of fishing and have surpassed my fish tally of 50 plus .Now im a happy chappy the going was harder than the last few days but worth it, sun sea and banter so cannot complain woke up a little later than expected but still got there for first lightish needed 3 or 4 to get past the 50 mark and caught 9 today so all in all past the 50 mark.. saw a huge seagull pulled in today, tangled the guys line badly glad it was not mine but still couldn't help laughing to myself but was all good in the end after he freed it flew off no problems anyhow that's my story for today need to relax now stay safe all ..

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Another hour fishing earlier on today and only caught the one mackerel today.. tide not high yet but after one hour and only catching the one I was happy enough,, especially when the dolphins showed up missed the best photos as was to busy watching them breach the water great to see wild dolphins doing what they do best not the best photos but better than none .

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gorgeous mackerel DS,,,
I love the smoked mackerel from M and S,,,
Great catch,s2:tiphat:

Cheers m8 had another good couple of hours today took 16 home but no photos to busy pulling them in today and was far to windy for my liking hopefully the wind will of dropped off a little for tomorrow ,as the big tides are here for the next few days and I intend to get my freezer full of fresh mackerel and these big tides are fetching them in even closer than before I was pulling 2s and 3s in today with the added feathers attached.:biggrin::tiphat: