What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

600 watt verses 1000 watt lights

If you want 1000 watt flowers you have to use 1000 watt lights.

I would have normally used 1000 watt lights during flowering. this time i used 600 watt lights for a couple reasons. My 1000 watt lights were old and needed to be replaced and i could not afford new ones. also i had discovered that the 1000 watt lights in my small room fried the plants to a nice brown crisp. However they were still 1000 watt big, just fried. You need a real high ceiling to use 1000 watt lights mine is not high enough and the lights end up to close to the plants.

this time i used the 600 watt bulbs for a total of 1200 watts in the room. I had to group the plants closer to the lights. i had way less light penetration. And much smaller flowers, about half the size of the 1000 watt lights. Still very nice just small, not as dense.

I am hoping to get new ballasts that will power 750 watt lights for next time. i figured why spend money on lights i know will burn my crop. save the money and buy something that will work as well and not burn the crop.

It is amazing how things grow under smaller lights. if you have a flat SOG canopy all the fruit close to the lights will be fine. If you try to flower full grown 7-8 ft tall plants under smaller lights the tops are fine everything else is small. You end up with a lot of shading because everything is put so close to the lights.

I am also discovering that moving the smaller lights can help with the light penetrating through the whole crop and allow you to spread them out for better air circulation. I you are using large or small lights leaving them stationary will eventually burn the plants directly under the lights. :thank you:

C

CANNATOPIA

I use a 1000 watt HPS with a light mover and keep it approx 1 1/2 ft from the tops with no light nor heat burn. My space for flower is 4x4x8. I have used a 600 watt HPS in the same place before I switched to a 1000. To be honest my flowers were not all that different, as far as taste & density it was still very good. Most of the bottoms I cut off anyways to let light get to the biggest of the buds. The best thing I ever did for my opp is buy a Lumatek switchable ballast & speed controllers for all of my fans. These help me control my temps in the summer & winter months with a flip of a switch or two. Best of luck friend.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
And much smaller flowers, about half the size of the 1000 watt lights. Still very nice just small, not as dense.

Are the flowers really half the size? I didn't think moving from a 600 to a 1000 made that big of a difference on bud size.

In terms of output, it should be noted that a 600w is a little more efficient than a 1kW, meaning it outputs more lumens per watt (and also meaning less heat per watt.)

Yes Me Fix Lights

Yes Me Fix Lights

The best thing I ever did for my opp is buy a Lumatek switchable ballast & speed controllers for all of my fans. These help me control my temps in the summer & winter months with a flip of a switch or two. Best of luck friend.

that is exactly what i plan on getting so i can use the 750 watt bulbs, with lights movers. the 1000 watt bulbs are just to hot for my room.

In terms of output, it should be noted that a 600w is a little more efficient than a 1kW, meaning it outputs more lumen's per watt (and also meaning less heat per watt.) Today 09:06 AMIn terms of output, it should be noted that a 600w is a little more efficient than a 1kW, meaning it outputs more lumen's per watt (and also meaning less heat per watt.)

yes the 600 watt puts out 88,000 lumins. the 750 watt has 105,000 lumins, the 1000 watt has 145,000 lumins.

Because i have a low ceiling in my room and can't properly separate the plants with the minimum 1 1/2 ft. i know the 1000 watt will burn, i have seen it do it. the 750 puts out more lumen's and lasts longer than the 600's. i plan to get the lumatek 1000 watt switchable to power the 750 watt bulbs with. also plan to build a counter balanced light mover, i have vaulted ceilings.

I will have no more light issues. :thank you:

Are the flowers really half the size? I didn't think moving from a 600 to a 1000 made that big of a difference on bud size.

The 600 watt light just does not have the lumins to penitrate to the floor, or much futher than a couple feet everything below that level is smaller yes. quality is the same just not enough light to get though to the plants lower flowers to make them bigger like the 1000 watt bulbs do. when i would use the 1000 watt bulbs i would get larger flowers all through the plants; but the lights are to close to the plants and burned them. when using big lights you need at least 2ft between the lights and the top of your plantsor you will burn them.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
i think 600s work better for SOG type grows...with smaller plants with less lower nugs, the 600s work perfectly. but if you are doing 10 gallon pots with 3-4 footers than yea the penetration sucks...lots of larf.

I have big fat flowers with 600's...but I dont try to flower 6-8 foot tall plants either...lol.. I never have airy buds...NEVER!..Airy buds are the worst, imo.... i have used 1000 and 600's, i cant tell a difference in my buds....But if I was growing out 9 foot tall plants, I would go with the 1000's....Thats a fucking tree....

FlaDankster

Veteran
Why don't you just keep the 600 and ADJUST your plant to your lights penetration.I have no prob pulling 1-1.25 zips dry per 30-36 inch plant and this is with a moderate yielding strain.With some spreading and tiein down i get about 1.50 zips dry with the same strain.

250wscrogger

600's are good for SOG and that's about it.

I averaged around a pound per 600 with 16 plants in 10l pots (2week veg) 4x4 footprint makes it so0 much easier...

with 4 plants lst'ed in 10 gallon pots, 12oz was my best...probably about a qp of that was larf too...

Are the flowers really half the size? a 600w is a little more efficient than a 1kW, meaning it outputs more lumens per watt (and also meaning less heat per watt.)

right! generally 10 more lumens per watt, about 140 L/Watt for 1000w, and 150 L/W for a 600, also less heat, closer lights means more bud density and development. I run only 600w fixtures, and with the development of Digital ballast, you can run either a HPS or MH, and Sunpulse make an awesome 600 MH in 6.4k, perfect for short nodes and green growth in the veg room. Blue Spectrum keeps nodes close, HPS will have more light intensity, and higher lumen per watt for the bulb, but HPS will also elongate the nodes, not too much, but some sativas will become uncontrollable without blue spectrum.

Dr Psycho

Lightmovers are a great investment with either size I've seen fantastic results from two600's on a light mover, they were 6_8 inches from the top of plants that had been vegged under T-5 flourenscents kept very close to the clones in order get tight internodes. They were grown in 1 gal pots of sunshine mix with the basic 3 part Advanced nutrients + iguana juice compost tea. flowered at 12 inches and harvested at 24-30. The buds were rock hard and easy to trim the terminal nugs were 10 gram donkey dicks and the lower buds brought the average yield up around 37 grams per plant. The stain was "Quebec Red Hair Skunk" probably 75% Indica. The light movers especially when coupled with cool tubes or vented hoods allow you to get the buds closer to the light and you can grow more better buds with less electricity.

sneakinman13

Veteran
1 k all day everyday!!!

not saying i dont like 600 watts. buttt ive ran them both. and its as clear as day and night that 1 k's smoke them...

least for my sized plants. which are about 4 foot tall , nice dense nugs off the 1 k .

BadRabbit

600s are for the small fries

.... 'cept of course if you're growing in a smaller,restricted are such as a closet or small room with limited ventilation, in which case a quality 600W HPS system and bulb is probably your best option and can produce a relative mountain of nice smoke from a small space

For larger scale, open grows in more ideal conditions ... not so much.

But touching base with the reality for the masses ... the former situation covers about 70 or 80% of all the hobby growers across the globe.

best,
rabbit

Yeah, I run one 400 w and one 600 w HPS in my flower room and I am blown away with the buds I'm getting. Way more than when I ran just the 600 or 400. My temps are such that I don't think I can put more light in the room, I'm running around 80 degs with what I've got, but splitting the 1000w over two lights has really helped me get bigger buds over a larger area. Of course I do have to do a lot of shuffling so all the girls get under the 600 watter. If I had better temp control I would love to try two 1000watters!

L

LadyCropSitter

I am running two 1000's in two 9' tall rooms, 4 total. I hope to get them on movers by spring. The first two weeks I didn't have my filters hooked up, the humidity was crazy (in the whole house). The girls have been in bloom for 4 weeks now and look amazing. I can't wait for harvest.

Latest posts

Latest posts