What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What to replace sm90 with?

DunHav`nFun

HTG Supply still had it in stock lil over a month ago bro....There`s a link by caljim in Isaack`s "8K coco Grow Show " thread in grow diaries on pg 68 @ bottom of page...…

I didn`t click it when I checked so...... Good luck and …..

Peace.....DHF.....:ying:

Earlmarne

HTG Supply still had it in stock lil over a month ago bro....There`s a link by caljim in Isaack`s "8K coco Grow Show " thread in grow diaries on pg 68 @ bottom of page...…

I didn`t click it when I checked so...... Good luck and …..

Peace.....DHF.....:ying:

No luck bro. Wish I would have got 5 gallons of the stuff

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Bacillus thuringiensis will take care of them in soil. Mosquito dunks are not stong enough. Order the powder of Amazon.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
the ingredients in SM - 90 are coriander oil 1% (for fragrance), modified (sulphonated) canola oil 3% (pesticide) and triethanolamine 5% (the surfactant/wetting agent). Ill look for an alternative now.

Last edited:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Most fungus gnat and root aphid products I looked into utilize an oil as the main method of eradication, apart from SM-90 there are Sesame Oil based products (Organocide) and Neem oil/Azadactrin based products (Azamax, Azatrol), there are also Pyrethrin based and beneficial nematodes, hydrogen peroxide was mentioned (seems like everything is used on them...).

Sulphur is a very effective pesticide by itself against many pests, its no wonder SM-90 works so well. The combination of sulphur and oil can be phytotoxic also though.

Horticultural mineral oils use paraffin oil which seems to be the least phytotoxic from what ive found.

(depending on grow medium)
Leaving a layer of sand/perlite on top of medium that stays dry will help keep them away as well (they like wet medium), diatomaceous earth when dry works well to deter pests also.

If you feel like making your own sulphonated canola oil/SM-90 (from patent info on process):

General Preparation of a Sulphated Canola Oil:

Raw canola oil (3 kg) was added to a double-walled vessel with cooling water capacity. Concentrated sulphuric acid (477 mL) was slowly added to the oil with stirring and cooling of the vessel via circulation of cool water. The sulphuric acid was added at such a rate that the temperature of the reaction mixture remained between about 30 to about 35° C. The addition was typically complete after about 2 hours. The reaction mixture was then allowed to stand for about 18 hours for the sulphation to proceed. Approximately 3 N sodium hydroxide (3,880 mL) was slowly added to the oil/acid reaction mixture with stirring and cooling of the vessel via circulation of cool water. The sodium hydroxide was added at such a rate that the temperature of the reaction mixture remained between about 30 to about 40° C. The addition was typically complete after about 2 hours. The neutralized reaction mixture was then allowed to sit for about 24 hours to allow the sulphated oil phase to rise to the top of the vessel and for the super saturated sodium sulphate water phase to settle to the bottom of the vessel. The lower water phase was discarded. The pH of the sulphated canola oil phase was less than about 1. The sulphated oil was diluted with R.O. (reverse osmosis) water at a ratio of 1 part oil to 4 parts water. At the same time, the pH of the resulting solution was adjusted to a pH of about 4 to about 5 with approximately 3 N sodium hydroxide. This particular formulation, i. e. , a 20% solution of the sulphated canola oil in water at a pH of about 4 to about 5 was referred to during experimental field trials as "Sulplex." After sulphation, the canola oil contained about 2,340 ppm of sulphur.

Link To Patent Information:

https://patents.google.com/patent/EP1746894A1/en

Last edited: