What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

N-P-K in organic. What can i get K from?

jrelax

Hi

I have Guano Powder. 1-30-1

I Got lots P.

i need something with lots of K.

Make a Organic PK fertilizer.

I know Palm ashes is nice. 1-1-30

My shop has sold out it.

Now i need fast help fix npK the K. Organic

Any idea?

Egg shels? what is that? Help please

how can i make my guano 1-30-1 to 1-30-20 example? the last K, what organic stuff others than palm tree ashes is very high in K ?

My growshop get new palm tree ashes next year season.

I need organic K now fast , what is possible other than p-ash ?

What is that K ? Is it Kalcium/Kalsium? calcium?...calium...kalium or what ?

Hookahhead

Any sort of ash from plant based materials. Hard wood ashes for cooking or heating, plants that you collect and burn. Most of the macro nutrients burn off, potassium (K) is pretty much the only one that doesn't. Micronutrients like calcium and heavy metals are harder to burn off, and stay in the ashes. Ashes from high silica plants such as rice hulls, or sugar bagasse are known to produces ashes that are high in soluble silica. Make sure your ashes come from plant based materials only. You don't want stuff that someone has burned trash along with it. Also note that the high amount of calcium and potassium carbonate found in ashes work much like agricultural lime, and will raise the soil pH.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Best two sources for plain nutritional provision are going to be Sul-Po-Mag/K-Mag/Lagbeinite (0-0-22) and Sulfate of Potash/Potassium Sulfate (0-0-50). Both are organic approved.

That aside, potassium is in many different fertilizers to begin with. Kelp meal, while lower in K, has an immense amount of other compounds that make it essential to producing the best cannabis, but it is an expensive choice as the primary source of K in a soil.

Egg shells are nearly pure calcium carbonate (93%+) and take a very long time to break down. Structurally, they are very hard. Not to mention, unless sterilized properly can introduce salmonella risk into the soil, because of the membrane that lines the interior of the shell.

dank.Frank

Hookahhead

It's typically recommended that you use ash from "hardwood" trees such as oak, maple, elm, etc. "Softwood" trees like spruce, fir, and pine tend to be more resinous and less desirable for this reason I believe. If you google "ashes for my garden" you can probably find a lot of information.

Here's what the internet says..
Hardwood trees are deciduous, this means that the leaves fall off in autumn and the tree remains leafless through springtime. On the other hand, softwood conifers do not pass the winter with bare branches. Although sometimes old needles fall off, the softwood tree branches are always covered with needles. According to hardwood information, almost all hardwoods are flowering trees and shrubs. The wood of these trees contains cells that conduct water, as well as tightly packed, thick fiber cells. Softwood trees only have water-conducting cells. They do not have the dense wood fiber cells.

Hookahhead

link don't work :(

ICmag makes all links Https for security. If you remove the "s" at the beginning of the URL so that it is just Http it should work. I'm surprised you haven't encountered this with other links here yet.

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
Coconut water has a good load of potassium in it, you don't need much either especially if you get the freeze dried powder. If you use it don't use too much, you can ferment fruits with high k as well if you like, papaya, banana, apricot etc.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A 50# bag of 0-0-50 is going to cost around $45. There is not a single chance, coconut powder or fermented fruit is going to come remotely close to that price point for the amount of available nutrition added to a soil. The logic of this just baffles me as a cost management strategy. You'll bury yourself in expenses while the value of flowers is dropping considerably, only compounding your loss. It makes zero sense.

Coconut water for a seed soak. Okay. I get that. As a fertilizer? Not a chance. All that marketing bull that Gas-scam started just needs to stop being perpetuated.

Cannabis can consume 250 lbs per acre of potassium in a single growth season. This means, an acre would require 500 lbs of 0-0-50 to have 250 lbs/acre of available potassium.

How many pounds of coconut powder do you think that would take? Sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but it just doesn't seem even remotely logical. :comfort:

Considering coconut water is roughly only 0.6% potassium, I'm going to suffice to say, the cost of doing so is grossly prohibitive. It's not a fertilizer. At best, it could be looked at as a PGR type additive.

dank.Frank

jrelax

I have seen many organic stuff that can make K.

Only problem is they say ASH.

What the hell is BANANA and Cucumber ash?
Do i need make fire with normal tree woods, and also throw in banana and cucumber?

Must all burn before ? ASH ?

What is Banana and Cucumber ASH ?
Throw it in normal heating trees that burns to make warmer in house?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did not notice if you are growing no till or?? If you are topdressing and looking to raw materials then some aged horsemanure and or vermicompost are good bets and as ratz mentioned, diluted molasses is excellent because it provides many compounds and feeds microbes. These are all cheap if acquired rationally.
If going with fertilizer, listen to Frank.

Cvh

Supermod
Just go to your local regular gardencenter and ask one of the employees to point out the boxes/bags with high potassium organic fertilizer.
The NPK is always listed on the boxes/bags.

Last weekend I went fertilizer shopping myself and for my K fertilizer I picked up the product on the picture below.
Cost was less then 20€ for a big bag and a small box of a couple of kilo's was less then 10€. (NPK: 2-0-20).
This product is mostly Vinasse. Vinasse is derived from sugarbeets and is a byproduct from sugar manufacturing. More or less comparable to Molasses which is IIRC derived from sugarcane.

Or order your supplies online. Here is a link to a very good Dutch based online growstore. They carry the Guanokalong productline also.
https://onlinetopgarden.com/en/

Tuinkali-Potasse-Pour-Jardin-nl.jpg

A 50# bag of 0-0-50 is going to cost around $45. There is not a single chance, coconut powder or fermented fruit is going to come remotely close to that price point for the amount of available nutrition added to a soil. The logic of this just baffles me as a cost management strategy. You'll bury yourself in expenses while the value of flowers is dropping considerably, only compounding your loss. It makes zero sense.

Coconut water for a seed soak. Okay. I get that. As a fertilizer? Not a chance. All that marketing bull that Gas-scam started just needs to stop being perpetuated.

Cannabis can consume 250 lbs per acre of potassium in a single growth season. This means, an acre would require 500 lbs of 0-0-50 to have 250 lbs/acre of available potassium.

How many pounds of coconut powder do you think that would take? Sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but it just doesn't seem even remotely logical. :comfort:

Considering coconut water is roughly only 0.6% potassium, I'm going to suffice to say, the cost of doing so is grossly prohibitive. It's not a fertilizer. At best, it could be looked at as a PGR type additive.

dank.Frank

I was thinking the same thing! How can someone justify feeding their plants with expensive food that you could eat yourself. Sulphate of Potash is definitely the most economic source of Potassium (K) and it works great.

Hookahhead

I was thinking the same thing! How can someone justify feeding their plants with expensive food that you could eat yourself. Sulphate of Potash is definitely the most economic source of Potassium (K) and it works great.

Maybe the person in question only has 1 or 2 plants, and not an entire acre of pot to feed. I would argue the cost /benefit/availability of any product depends on where you live. For me, coconuts literally fall from the sky every day. I could probably collect 10 a day for free.

Personally, I like to use ashes, manures, and molasses, which all add K to my soil mix. I live in a sugar producing area, I recently paid 1.50$ for a gallon of molasses at the feed store. That price included a charge for buying the jug, I didn't know I could bring my own container. They have a tanker truck full out back, you take your little jug to it and they fill it for the cost of the molasses. Typically the buyer would mix it with grain to feed farm animals. All of these are waste streams and essentially free for me, this is more my style.

Hookahhead that is good point it depends on where you live. To me coconut water is treat that I enjoy but it must be imported. I also have used wood ash a K boost and that can be free... so I can change my tune a little and say SOP is the most commercially viable source of K in my area but depending on the situation and how much you need there are many other options for a K supplement.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
besides kelp or greensand....use clean burnt oak ash....and charcoal sifted over hardware cloth/wire into soils....

ganj on......