What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fruits from the wild: Breeding with pure sativas Mextiza and Ghana

Carraxe

Veteran
Yes, I also think now it has to be ambiental, since it can't be due a genetic defect. It is nice to know from Mustafunk that these plants are "fresh" and don't carry inbreeding. Sometimes landraces are kept inbreeding heavily and it has its consequences.

Good thing is we have a new big and deep genetic pool in these plants. Bad think is that we must grow many plants and select, since they can be very different in maturation time and strenght.

I have the Ghanas under a strong air current to harden, and they are receiving quite lot of light. It could be the reason for the curling. Otherwise, they look good. No other plants show it.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
Some of the sativas I planted are starting to sprout. By far, I have:

4 Destroyer F2
7 Senegal Black
11 Angola Red x Senegal Black

These last two strains are supposed to be repros from people who got some seeds from a Spanish breeder, Alex (La mano negra) who worked improving african sativas. After he died some years ago, people started spreading repros of his works. We can't ask him, and nothing is clear about many things related with this plants, but some people claim that he had selected pure sativas that flower in 10 weeks.

Let's see what we get.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
Now, the new blood for my old Mextizas:

Some Destroyer and some African crosses (made with Angola Red and Senegal Black) with a lot of sativa behaviour. I'll make clones of all of them, just in case this is as good as they say. This might be the source of the new genes Mextiza needs.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
Angola Red/Senegal Black

Angola Red/Senegal Black

I'm impressed with the strength of these African weeds. Twelve days after putting the seeds in soil I found some red stems. I raised the pots and I found these roots. Lovely

Carraxe

Veteran
I've just taken three random Ghana plants to take a picture. They look great, and they look original. Even the shape of the leaves is slightly different to anything I know.

Smell is stronger and better than I remember, fruitier and mouth watering. I'm really happy with them.

Cheers

Azaghal

Veteran
Hi Carraxe :tiphat: ,

thank you for pointing out where this topic and your quote are more appropriate and useful.:good:
To be honest, I really value your input and just wanted to put two topics into one post because, well, I'm lazy :biggrin:
I don't meant to bother or offend you and if I did, I apologize.

Sorry for the off-topic. Since you stated in this thread :

Since Mextiza has proven to carry all inbreeding problems related with her mother, Oaxaca '79, I hope this work I'm doing will help to reduce endogamy. But I don't even know if it is possible. I was thinking about an open pollination to reduce endogamy. All the other options I think about (like selecting and backcrossing to best Mextiza specimens) produce more endogamy.

An open pollination would also force to some extra generations of crossing and selection and then more inbreeding.

Some ideas? I think I'm going to sprout some seeds I have from different landrace sativas, to keep the gene pool growing.

Cheers

I'd like you to show the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_purging

This concept might propose an intereting perspective for your future plans with Mextiza.

Anyhow much respect for having such an exquisite line up of different sativas, your Ghanas have caught my interest and your Angola Red/Senegal Black indeed seem to develope strong and healthy roots this early in their lifes.
Im sure you will find unique parental plants to produce interesting offspring and wish you much joy and satisfaaction.

Kind regards

Carraxe

Veteran
Hi Carraxe :tiphat: ,

thank you for pointing out where this topic and your quote are more appropriate and useful.:good:
To be honest, I really value your input and just wanted to put two topics into one post because, well, I'm lazy :biggrin:
I don't meant to bother or offend you and if I did, I apologize.

Sorry for the off-topic. Since you stated in this thread :

I'd like you to show the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_purging

This concept might propose an intereting perspective for your future plans with Mextiza.

Anyhow much respect for having such an exquisite line up of different sativas, your Ghanas have caught my interest and your Angola Red/Senegal Black indeed seem to develope strong and healthy roots this early in their lifes.
Im sure you will find unique parental plants to produce interesting offspring and wish you much joy and satisfaaction.

Kind regards

Don't be sorry for anything, you are very welcome! Sometimes I don't express myself properly.

I'm reading this article about purging you pointed out, and I think I'm going to need a time since I'm not a biologist. But I understand that it is a natural mechanism that reduces the amount of defective specimen into the population, so there is little we can do to help it.

Mextiza Ghana F1 will be much better regarding inbreeding, I'm sure about that, but I'm curious about what will happen in the F2.

Thanks for your input,
Cheers

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Awesome project.

What would be interesting is to see these next inbred F'Gen be mated to each other again and compared to this round's mating

So this season is, if I read the OP correct,
Ghana F2 x Mextiza F2
Ghana F2 x Ghana F2
Mextiza F2 x Ghana F2
Mextiza F2 x Mextiza F2?

Then that would allow,
Mextize F3 x Ghana F3
Ghana F3 x Mextiza F3

It would be cool to see the difference between mating the F2 parents and mating the F3 parents.

Carraxe

Veteran
I have all my seedlings in a shelf, under a 24 Watt LED screen. They look good.

Africans:

And Mextiza. I planted a large amount but I kept just these. Many mutations and a very bad germ rate.

Awesome project.

What would be interesting is to see these next inbred F'Gen be mated to each other again and compared to this round's mating

So this season is, if I read the OP correct,
Ghana F2 x Mextiza F2
Ghana F2 x Ghana F2
Mextiza F2 x Ghana F2
Mextiza F2 x Mextiza F2?

Then that would allow,
Mextize F3 x Ghana F3
Ghana F3 x Mextiza F3

It would be cool to see the difference between mating the F2 parents and mating the F3 parents.

I don't think I'm going to mate successive generations. I'm going to cross a Mextiza male with a female Ghana and a Mextiza female with a male Ghana. Later I will select and cross into the F1 to make a F2 with the plants I prefer.

I have to select the females first, in order to narrow the number of plants to work with.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
Some pictures I've just taken.

Senegal Black and Red Angola x Senegal Black. They go OK, maybe a little lack of colour. I planted them 37 days ago, so now they will start to really grow. Mextizas planted at the same time grow faster.

Ghana forest. They are now in 1l pots and I plan to flower them in a week. They were put in soil 7 and a half week ago.

I'll separate the males to select and freeze their pollen, and I should make a female selection as well, to get the fastest maturing ones, or the ones with the best effect among them. It is a little more work, but I'll get better breeding results.

My cat Bunda and the plants. He loves to munch on the leaves every time I take a plant to picture it. I don't really mind. The plants look like these three, I like a lot their looks. In the nature they have to be impressing.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
The way the Ghanaians grow is different to anything I've ever seen. Look at the way the tops bend to the sides, instead of growing up like usual strains do.

That's why I always think they lack watering, but they don't. I knew they had something odd in their structure, but it took a while to realize what it was. I didn't realize in the previous grow.

Have a close look at the leaves. Aren't they unique?

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
I've just taken cuts of all the Ghanaian plants. Since I have obtained some Mextiza seeds from a better older stock, I decided to start again. I saved half a dozen females to flower and enjoy myself, and culled everything else. Lots of time and work down the drain, but it is part of the work.

We have 13 healthy Mextiza seedlings to select and cross.

Cheers

Dog Star

Veteran
How was your Mextiza F2?? Get hermis in second generation or what...?

Saved some polen from Mextiza male,thats why i asking..

Kind regards

Carraxe

Veteran
How was your Mextiza F2?? Get hermis in second generation or what...?

Saved some polen from Mextiza male,thats why i asking..

Kind regards

F2 was very nice, I've made a couple threads about it. But now I got some seeds from an earlier generation. Since we are fighting against endogamy, earlier is better.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
Some senegal and angola senegal from la mano negra. A little discoloured, they might be asking for more food than average landrace. Nice smells.

The one in the left side of the next picture is an unknown mexican brought by a sailor. I have more seeds and I'm curious about what they can be. It's got a lot of vigour, I planted it two weeks later than the others. By far it looks like Mextizas.

I've started to trim the tops to get bushier plants.

Cheers

Last edited:

Carraxe

Veteran
I've just found the first Ghanaian male. I'm going to use it unless I find better ones. This one is vital, branchy and beatiful like all his sisters. It isn't easy to select males at this stage! They have been flowering for two weeks.

Cheers