What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

5gal or 7gal for flowering?

My first grow with some issues was solid. I went right from solo cup to 5gal and thats what they stayed in...

I was wondering if its better to go solo/1 or 3 gal pot then 5gal and or 7gal for final. Trying to stay under 6ft tall....

My first grow the root ball was SMALL, atleast for what i envisioned after seeing some pics of others' grows. Any advice be awesone.

A

acridlab

I go from solo, to 1 gal. for about 2 weeks or untill roots fill in, then I go to 5 gal. smart pots for another 2 or 3 weeks before I flower them n do pretty good with that technique. heavy yielders, i put 4 plants under each light. low yielders, "like ogs" I put 6 under ea. light. if u train them to stay under 2.5 feet while doing that in veg, they will stay under 6 feet during flower.. most of the time. hope that helps a lil

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I go from solo, to 1 gal. for about 2 weeks or untill roots fill in, then I go to 5 gal. smart pots for another 2 or 3 weeks before I flower them n do pretty good with that technique. heavy yielders, i put 4 plants under each light. low yielders, "like ogs" I put 6 under ea. light. if u train them to stay under 2.5 feet while doing that in veg, they will stay under 6 feet during flower.. most of the time. hope that helps a lil

:yeahthats I do the same. Works great. 2 weeks in each container. :yes: I usually plan on a 6 week veg, 7 weeks if I know the cut is a slow vegger or doesn’t stretch much. :tiphat:

Deegrow

I've had the same question lately. Bigger root bigger fruit. So if we flower in a 7 instead of a 5. Will we see a difference in yield!? Or is the 2gl difference not worth the extra transplant.

XXX_710

I transplant from half gal pots to 5 gal pots several weeks before I bloom them in the same pot. I only bring in the 7 gal to repot an old root bound mother that I'm going to bloom. I know when I've dropped rooted clones straight into a 5 gal pot, it has outpaced my ones that spent time in half-gallon pots. Still, I just don't have the veg space to skip the small pots.

Also, to stay under 6 feet in height during bloom top the plants often in veg to even out their canopy at the desired height. My veg light is not up that high, maybe 5'5', so once they reach the light they kind of self top anyways.

I transplant from half gal pots to 5 gal pots several weeks before I bloom them in the same pot. I only bring in the 7 gal to repot an old root bound mother that I'm going to bloom. I know when I've dropped rooted clones straight into a 5 gal pot, it has outpaced my ones that spent time in half-gallon pots. Still, I just don't have the veg space to skip the small pots.

Also, to stay under 6 feet in height during bloom top the plants often in veg to even out their canopy at the desired height. My veg light is not up that high, maybe 5'5', so once they reach the light they kind of self top anyways.

Yeah, grow 1 i went directly from solo cups to 5gals... After harvest root ball was VERY small, i was expecting more i guess? Plants were healthy and yielded very well but yeah wasnt sure if i did something wrong or what lol.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
So solo cup 2 weeks. 1 gal 2 weeks. 5gal 2weeks n flip?

That’s how I do it with soil. In bloom, mine always want to be watered every other day (ex. Mon then Wed then Fri, etc) at about 10 days and on in flower. If you veg an extra week in the 5 gallon (so 3 weeks in the 5 gal), your yield will greatly increase....but so will the size after stretch. And with the extra week, be prepared to water every day. More waterings equal more buds though. :tiphat: