What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calcium source for dwc that doesn't have nitrogen

troutman

Seed Whore
For calcium, I'm now using CaribSea Aragonite Aquarium Reef Sand I purchased from a pet store.
They use it for saltwater aquariums and I'm not running my aquarium now. So why not use it.
Aragonite is the most soluble form of calcium carbonate. It doesn't have nitrogen or phosphorus.

Outdoors, I normally just use less expensive Dolomitic Limestone purchased from a garden center.

BongFu

Oh and ask the guy (Brian) at Custom Hydro because he is an extremely knowledgeable and honest person. I have never known him to give bad advice.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I think this will end up settling to the bottom, no?

Pure calcium sulfate dihydrate is indeed fully water soluble

Yeah, I've tried both adding it to water and top dressing it + watering it in and in both cases it dissolves immediately.

:tiphat: Lot of good info on gypsum and calcium availability in this thread: (much more availability to plant with aminos added, info is in thread)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=357679

CrushnYuba

Calcium chloride.. But I'm not into chloride.

I have never had an issue with calcium nitrate. I just adjust for it. Straight bloom booster and calcium nitrate is still to low in N

Calcium Sulfate dihydrate is water soluble, here is a link to solution grade 22% calcium and 17% sulfur 50lb bag for $11.25 before shipping:

https://customhydronutrients.com/ca...35_276&zenid=9553f404bfeae80398701c63ab96661f

Really?

Calcium sulfate dihydrate
Water solubility 0.2 % at 77° F (NIOSH, 2016)
Solubility in water, g/100ml at 25°C: 0.24 (very poor)
Solubility in water, g/100ml at 20°C: 0.2 (very poor)
(77°F): 0.2%

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Calcium_sulfate_dihydrate#section=Top

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
ACG Materials brand of Calcium Sulfate, is a high purity, fine, soft white dihydrate form of gypsum with a specific gravity of 2.32, a typical pH of 7.5. Typical average particle diameter of ACG Valu-Fil is 18 microns. Maximum solubility 2 grams per liter or 7.7 grams per gallon.

Can not be used in concentrated stock solutions.

Last edited:
It's funny to read smbdy claiming 100% solubility of calcium sulfate in water, when actual number is about 0.2%.

Yeah, it must be very special type of CaSO4, from another Universe, I guess.

What were you hoping to accomplish in post#11 when you said^ quoting me saying its "water soluble" not "completely soluble"?
!

I was hoping to let readers know that Calcium Suifate is only soluble in water at the rate of 0.2% at room temperature.
In general day-to-day use the term "water soluble" implies "completely soluble", so I think it should be mentined that solubility of the salt is really low, that's it. No reason for you to be defensive.

I should've quoted this from your post, as it looks like you were quoting OO in full agreement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Ornamental
Pure calcium sulfate dihydrate is indeed fully water soluble

BongFu

Yeah it does seem to me that there are far better options for hydroponic solutions than calcium sulfate. I guess its really a case of how much you require in solution and what else is in that solution at what concentration. So if you only required say 1/4 gram per litre of gypsum perhaps its all right but you have to allow for common ion problems etc. Better yet use something like Ca EDTA or Ca Acetate or even Ca Cl (as long as a bit of Cl is acceptable) rather than chance it with gypsum. Fact is no hydro nutrient manufacturer would go anywhere near gypsum and gypsum while being fine in soils (and widely used)isn't the best option for hydro. Lot of attitude getting around but how does that help the person who asked the original question. It's not a competition.

troutman

Seed Whore
Better yet use something like Ca EDTA or Ca Acetate or even Ca Cl (as long as a bit of Cl is acceptable) rather than chance it with gypsum. Fact is no hydro nutrient manufacturer would go anywhere near gypsum and gypsum while being fine in soils (and widely used)isn't the best option for hydro. Lot of attitude getting around but how does that help the person who asked the original question. It's not a competition.

CaCl2 = road salt. Don't use that. :moon:

Calcium acetate is easy to make if you don't have any. :tiphat:

Calcium carbonate + vinegar = calcium acetate + carbon dioxide + water

Latest posts

Latest posts