What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cooling 25 lights

What’s the best way to cool a room with 25 gavita 1000’s. Air exchange, straight air conditioner, mini splits? It would be in a 40x40 room 12 foot ceilings.

St. Phatty

What’s the best way to cool a room with 25 gavita 1000’s. Air exchange, straight air conditioner, mini splits? It would be in a 40x40 room 12 foot ceilings.

What is the range of outdoor air temperatures, during the hours when the lights are on ?

I would say straight cooling airflow is the best, if temperatures allow.

Air conditioners up the power bill. Sometimes that matters stealth-wise, sometimes it doesn't.

I think it's wise to get an Infrared Scope and check out your own grow. To make sure you know what it looks like to someone using infrared gear. In case that someone else could result in a knock on the door.

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/an-introduction-to-thermal-imaging

If you have a stream of cooling air being blasted 50 feet into the hot night air, you should know what that looks like (Old Faithful at Yellowstone) before someone else sees it.

St. Phatty

What is the range of outdoor air temperatures, during the hours when the lights are on ?

I would say straight cooling airflow is the best, if temperatures allow.

Air conditioners up the power bill. Sometimes that matters stealth-wise, sometimes it doesn't.

I think it's wise to get an Infrared Scope and check out your own grow. To make sure you know what it looks like to someone using infrared gear. In case that someone else could result in a knock on the door.

If you have a stream of cooling air being blasted 50 feet into the hot night air, you should know what that looks like (Old Faithful at Yellowstone) before someone else sees it.

Places like
https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/
do audits where they use infrared.

Thermal%20Image%20UK%20-%203%20-%20Tom%20Barbour-main.jpg

I’ve got two quest 155 at the moment to move over. This is a legal grow great security on premises. Temps here in the winter swing wide 40 to -10 summer would be 60-75 at night it’s not to toasty here. What kind of air handling would I need to bring that much air in. My current grows are controlled via mini split and co2 generators. Two 8 light rooms.

BC32

Use the outside temps to your advantage to bring in cool air to both rooms. With the exhausts installed I think you will be all right. You may need more for summer or need to invest in AC during the summer months. Since you are legal it should be fairly easy considering you don't have to worry.

eric2028

Veteran
Find an hvac guy with experience in this. Ask for references. Being legal there will be guys around. Every guy will say he’s the best and there’s nothing to it. Do your diligence though.

p0opstlnksal0t

I'm expanding to 16 lights soon. I run vent to Atmos. I'm not keen on the electricity added to run sealed with mini splits. The biggest problem isngoing to be keeping humidity high enough during lights on. I'm currently adding a high pressure outdoor patio fogger system to keep humidity levels up. Without it my Rh in an 8 light room is about 15rh. I have added a large 60 gallon res that uses 2x 12 disc foggers that i refill everyday. Because of the air exchange needed to cool the room it only raises the Rh to about 25% during lights on. Then you'll need a dehuey for lights off when the room is not venting any heat. I can spray the walls and concrete floor with water and my Rh raises to 60% or so but it lasts about an hour before it's all dried up.

eric2028

Veteran
I run 18 light rooms. 5 tons a room. Not enough cooling. Shouldn’t have listened to dipshit hvac guy. Lights are air cooled, ballast are outside of the rooms. We run unsealed and also run shop space outside of the rooms unsealed 24/7.

CrushnYuba

I used to run a warehouse. Ran sealed during the summer, open during winter. Your winter temps would be great for open. Your summer is iffy depending on humidity.
As far as air handling goes for when you are venting, check out barn and warehouse ventilation. won't want to use blowers like small indoor grows use. You want big ass barn/greenhouse/warehouse axial fans. They push more air at lower pressures.
For sealed you just need big air handlers.

Thanks crush exactly what I wanna hear!!! I’ve got two splits to move over too at 36k so I’ll looking into getting axial fans for cooling in winter. Can you duct these fans too say 12-14” hepa box filters? Eric you would need at least 6 ton in your sealed setup. 4K btu per light is about the starting point.

eric2028

Veteran
Yea I need more then that even. But now we’re tearing down and doing 400k of bloom. The right way this time.

CrushnYuba

You can't duct axial fans. You can't really push through anything. You can pull through say a furnace type filter, but not a heppa. They don't have the pressure of a centrifugal fan but they move more air at higher speeds. They also use less electricity then a duct fan. They are air movers. You mount them right in the wall and they have shutters on them that open when they turn on. A 36" fan can move an insane amount of air and they are relatively cheap for cfm.

Google shutter fan. All fans are axial that aren't blowers. Its what they would put on a regular manufacturing warehouse to cool it.

WFAMFARMS

In also curious purple, I'm in Michigan and currently designing a room about the same size. I'm hoping to pull.cold air from outside during the winter months to cool the flower room and in turn pull heat from top of the flower room (16' ceilings) to supplement heat for the rest of the facility. I plan on running Ac units at a rate of 5k buy\ 1000de. That translates to 5 -5 ton units and I'm wondering if there is a better way.

p0opstlnksal0t

I have 16 de lights operational now with a single 1700 CFM mixed vane high pressure fan. So far in southern Maine it holds temp great at 78 degrees. It exhausts roughly every 15 mins. I also now have an aquafog xe2000 centrifugal fogger for adding humidity. This unit also helps drop temps without it my room would exhaust roughly every 7 mins. So it cuts exhausting down by half. Next on the list is a high output ducted ozone generator to clean up the smell.

Sometime by next summer I'm hoping to use a similar layout for a 40kw insulated garage grow

https://www.bestozonemachine.com/product-page/ozone-duct-hydroponic-machines-21-000mg-h

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I have a 30 light air cooled basement, we have very mild weather year round, run the lights at night, night temps are 35-55 at the lowest and highest.

The lights are all DE 1000ws, so 150K BTU of heat. We have 2x14" Vortex Max exhausts, 2 x 12 Vortex VTX exhausts, and 2 14" Fantech Max intakes. All told it's around 8000cfm out, 6000 cfm in. Can change the room air in 17 seconds (low ceilings)

I also have a Nanolux "brain" on my lights that will dim them if it gets too hot, I also dim them on a schedule to work around varying power prices at night. Nice to be able to do it all remotely from my phone

p0opstlnksal0t

I have a 30 light air cooled basement, we have very mild weather year round, run the lights at night, night temps are 35-55 at the lowest and highest.

The lights are all DE 1000ws, so 150K BTU of heat. We have 2x14" Vortex Max exhausts, 2 x 12 Vortex VTX exhausts, and 2 14" Fantech Max intakes. All told it's around 8000cfm out, 6000 cfm in. Can change the room air in 17 seconds (low ceilings)

I also have a Nanolux "brain" on my lights that will dim them if it gets too hot, I also dim them on a schedule to work around varying power prices at night. Nice to be able to do it all remotely from my phone

Ya that nanolux cloud setup is sweet. What does your humidity look like in that room during lights on and exhausting the heat? Is it constant exhaust or on a tstat the opens dampers when heat builds up?

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor

You still runnin that basement? Nice! :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts