What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calling all chocolatiers....

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
I followed this recipe:

Cocao butter
Cocao powder
Icing sugar
Full fat milk powder

It went fine until i added the milk powder last like the recipe said, it went grainy af and no amount of whisking made it smooth. Nor will it set, i have not tempered it at all just like the recipe says: mix it and pour.

I am not a chef, why did this happen? Is it the recipe?

Tia

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Keep it simple and clean...

1/2 cup canna coconut oil
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3 TBSP honey
1/2 tsp vanilla

And..... don't forget the lecithin. It will assist in emulsifying the ingredients and is a GIANT booster to the bioavailability factor. Lecithin generally makes my edibles 2x stronger (simply because more is absorbed and less is passed through).

Melt the oil over low heat, Add the cocoa, honey and vanilla. Add lecithin as tolerated.

Generally speaking, the more the better... as long as it doesn't affect the taste. I use a single TBSP in this mix.

Also, I don't use soy lecithin. I use sunflower lecithin and I like the liquid over the powder.

Attachments

• abvbuttercandy-1.jpg
    abvbuttercandy-1.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 23

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Tbh im just making a chocolate to make truffles from, using canna butter. But condensed milk may have solved my grainy issue, im familiar with seed tempering but havent tried it yet.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
In that case, condensed milk would have worked much better.

However, even with the powdered milk, lecithin probably would have homogenized it. Stuff works miracles for blending.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
I will look at getting the liquid form like you mentioned, i did have a kilo of soy lecithin but i went bad so i threw it, incorrectly stored. Thanks for the heads up bro, my cocao comes from peru and its really tasty.