What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for a growers job in Colorado

Hydro8

What are some good ways of networking in Colorado? Cannabis trade shows?

I am not sure of the "who's who" of the canna biz or the "scene". I do know it is a very cutthroat and shady industry at this time.

I’m not looking to work for a little start up unless they are going to make me head grower with equity and a starting bonus. I’m looking to work for an established company. If they’re a reputable company with high quality products and they want to start me at an entry level position then that’s fine. I don’t mind working my way up.

We do have a few establish grows that have been stable and reputable over the years they usually hire young kids(labor) and don't pay a livable wage. If you are willing to work for $13. an hour I am sure you can get a job tomorrow. The job will suck. Most of the grow ops in Denver are in the smog infested ghetto along I-70 or Santa Fe in windowless buildings. You would be better off landscaping in fresh air for $17-$20 an hour

Cannabis in Colorado has turned into a regular commercial product like most industries to make decent higher level money in large operations people want business, horticulture, agriculture degrees.

Most people I know that work in the cannabis industry do accounting, marketing and other services that will pay more then $13. an hour.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am not sure of the "who's who" of the canna biz or the "scene". I do know it is a very cutthroat and shady industry at this time.

We do have a few establish grows that have been stable and reputable over the years they usually hire young kids(labor) and don't pay a livable wage. If you are willing to work for $13. an hour I am sure you can get a job tomorrow. The job will suck. Most of the grow ops in Denver are in the smog infested ghetto along I-70 or Santa Fe in windowless buildings. You would be better off landscaping in fresh air for $17-$20 an hour

Cannabis in Colorado has turned into a regular commercial product like most industries to make decent higher level money in large operations people want business, horticulture, agriculture degrees.

Most people I know that work in the cannabis industry do accounting, marketing and other services that will pay more then $13. an hour.

I have had several interviews and been turned down for entry level positions because I am “over qualified.” I just want to grow weed. 15 dollars an hour is fine. My cost of living is low, and I have two other incomes in my house hold.

Right now I’m running a large green house for a non cannabis related company.

Maybe I should put together another business plan and take on some investors. Which is something I have been avoiding.

Hydro8

Maybe I should put together another business plan and take on some investors. Which is something I have been avoiding.

I don't like to be a downer but you will go nowhere doing agricultural labor for someone else especially in the canna industry. You will find your self in a dark corner trimming buds for for a jerk and no where to be promoted to beyond McDonald's wages.

You seem to have enough experience to be a consultant get a good brand name and offer higher level services. When inexperienced growers run into trouble(which happens a lot) they need to call someone that has a clue to help them out of disasters.

Maintenance ? hydro systems, lighting installs, raised beds.

I know a couple of people that were around the industry that would figure out what growers needed and produce it and offer it. With all the regs growers need stuff like product containers, security systems, labels.

A couple of ideas.

BerrySeal

Co doesn't want quality, they want low standards, low wages so everyone in their legal weed family gets a piece. The whole industry must be owned by the same people. No other reason why quality grows would practically be forbidden. I'd try finding a club/collective/delivery service to hook up with. Not some low quality minimum wage paying storefront (all that exists)

sdd420

Veteran
New option

New option

I have had several interviews and been turned down for entry level positions because I am “over qualified.” I just want to grow weed. 15 dollars an hour is fine. My cost of living is low, and I have two other incomes in my house hold.

Hey zep....legalization is coming and rescheduling...soo.....
Dude get in the seed game ASAP. So many million new customers will be hunting for seeds. Even most dispensaries don’t have seeds for sale..
Best of luck and congrats on getting out of California

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Work as a consultant. Set your wage to go with the amount you improve someone's grow. If you know your shit I would think that leads to several offers.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Work as a consultant. Set your wage to go with the amount you improve someone's grow. If you know your shit I would think that leads to several offers.

I’ve done plenty of consulting work in the past. I definitely have the skills and knowledge to turn around some of the shitty grows out here. Dont I need a cannabis business license to consult though, or is just my key me badge enough? I mean technically I’m not producing or selling cannabis commercially, so would it still fall under the MED jurisdiction? I guess I could call the MED tomorrow and find out.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think you need a badge to help folks out with consultation, just their trust.

Maybe if you are to go into commercial ops but not personal.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't like to be a downer but you will go nowhere doing agricultural labor for someone else especially in the canna industry. You will find your self in a dark corner trimming buds for for a jerk and no where to be promoted to beyond McDonald's wages.

You seem to have enough experience to be a consultant get a good brand name and offer higher level services. When inexperienced growers run into trouble(which happens a lot) they need to call someone that has a clue to help them out of disasters.

Maintenance ? hydro systems, lighting installs, raised beds.

I know a couple of people that were around the industry that would figure out what growers needed and produce it and offer it. With all the regs growers need stuff like product containers, security systems, labels.

A couple of ideas.

I appreciate the honest input

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey zep....legalization is coming and rescheduling...soo.....
Dude get in the seed game ASAP. So many million new customers will be hunting for seeds. Even most dispensaries don’t have seeds for sale..
Best of luck and congrats on getting out of California

The problem is that I need a large facility to properly produce seeds that I do not have. Therefore I need to come up with a business plan and find investors. However a consulting business that provides custom genetics would be a solid way to go. I do have a seed collection and my own strain to start with.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I kinda seems like a lot of small breeders are being picked up by larger operations. Which makes sense. Imo if you want to be the guy that breeds for someones operation you need to either have an amazing portfolio (aka lots of jars of great weed) or some awards or being recognized by the community. Be a brand name worth seeking and it should fall into place. I do not have a big operation but I know if I paid outside help to grow they would have to be able to prove that have amazing finished product. Double that if you want to make seeds.

sdd420

Veteran
I kinda seems like a lot of small breeders are being picked up by larger operations. Which makes sense. Imo if you want to be the guy that breeds for someones operation you need to either have an amazing portfolio (aka lots of jars of great weed) or some awards or being recognized by the community. Be a brand name worth seeking and it should fall into place. I do not have a big operation but I know if I paid outside help to grow they would have to be able to prove that have amazing finished product. Double that if you want to make seeds.

No problem there he’s got some good stuff

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway

you may be coming in too "hot" so to speak and therefore appearing overqualified for the job
/imagine how you would feel if the guy you wanted to hire to trim your buds or something like that showed up one day with his own homegrown that blew yours out of the water?
be humble and dont show all your cards at once, if you really want to find entry level work
or maybe you need to redefine your goals better, friend
are you looking for a entry level paycheck and foot in the door in the canabuisness or do you want to run the show?
there is nothing wrong underselling yourself, to get your foot in the door and sort of growing into anything that comes up but you seem to be a step up bruh

Drunken Buddha

Hashy,

I would hire you to be in charge of any project that I had going in a heartbeat. Call Rob Clarke and show him your resume.

Madjag

sdd420

Veteran
If DB says so ....GET ER DONE ZEP hey brother don’t mind me cheering you on. I’m just excited for you and your opportunity. I am fixated on that limewarp you know as well. I bet RC would love it too

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If DB says so ....GET ER DONE ZEP hey brother don’t mind me cheering you on. I’m just excited for you and your opportunity. I am fixated on that limewarp you know as well. I bet RC would love it too

Ty!
Somebody sent me some seeds with lime warp crossed with blackberry, crossed with cookies, and crossed with something else.

These days a lot of companies also are trying to improve the overall corporate culture within cannabis companies, for many years things in our industry have been very casual, but as this industry grows, it gains more mainstream acceptance by making cannabis companies more like normal companies, with the same standards of customer service, making the dispensary experience more comfortable for first timers, older or more conservative customers, etc. Like others have said, often times a lot of experience and knowledge thrown out during the interview process can often leave an impression of "coming in too hot". A lot of that is the desire to make sure they aren't bringing in people who try to rock the boat before it's even determined whether or not that position is going to work out. When I would talk about things like my research, techniques for growing i've developed, strains I bred, and awards, it was often simply too much information. I changed my approach, focusing on talking up specific incidents where I was able to demonstrate my skills on the job, my open love for the cannabis species and my desire to help others discover this amazing plant.

I started getting more callbacks immediately, did a couple short term gigs that ended up not working out, but now i've finally found a company that feels right for me, a positive, team work focused environment where i'm able to utilize my knowledge in a way that helps people on a daily basis, a management team that's both competent and trustworthy, that genuinely cares about the well being of both the staff and the customers. I really hope this new opportunity ends up being a similarly positive experience for you.

Keep the faith, focus on the cannabis.

Latest posts

Latest posts