What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing peppers through winter indoors?

R

Rubber Chicken

Hello all,

I just had an idea of growing some peppers, hot & sweet, under a fluorescent light through winter so they could get a good head start....... does anyone do this?

I know some will survive my winter outdoors but they usually die off a lot and there isn't much difference between ones that survive over winter and new ones i plant.

Please share your opinions. :)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
hey rubber... I don't grow under lights, but I do bring in my peppers in pots n overwinter them in my greenhouse room... I cut em back, n by mid june we r getting peppers, while everyone else in 6+ weeks behind...
we do start new pepper seeds under fluor's n once they sprout which sometimes is weeks, they do really well, but for flowering I would think u need a lot more light then they will put out..

R

Rubber Chicken

I only want to 'veg' them under fluoros over winter so they have a strong base to boost from once it starts to get warmer.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I have some Caribbean Reds starts growing under flouros. They seem to be thriving. I started them as a germ test and am just letting them go, need to transplant tho. The problem I’m going to have is space, can’t really put them out till May. Might have to do some pruning and/or put them in a window sill down the road.

If you bring plants in to overwinter make sure you look out for and treat for pests. Peppers don’t get a lot but I had some years ago that got infested with aphids big time (no natural predators).

LostTribe

Premium user
I have kept a couple alive in the window with minimal attention and just random watering then they reveg quick once you put them back out in the spring and are hearty producers.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Is that All Bundy in your avatar?? Awesome

Awwwwww Peg!

Wasn't Kelly hot??

I have a few flats of Caribbean reds going in the greenhouse.

thelemons

buildasoil had some videos on instagram of them growing peppers in a 4x4 tent (and all other things) under just one of those big 150w cfl.. never tried it myself, but apparently they arent too light intensive

R

Rubber Chicken

That's good to know thelemons :) they won't be getting any intense light.

Yes, Kelly was nice. :)

St. Phatty

I have green pepper seeds drying on my kitchen window.

Do deer like peppers ?

I usually plant some garden spots for the deer too.

Spaventa

Veteran
Hello all,

I just had an idea of growing some peppers, hot & sweet, under a fluorescent light through winter so they could get a good head start....... does anyone do this?

I know some will survive my winter outdoors but they usually die off a lot and there isn't much difference between ones that survive over winter and new ones i plant.

Please share your opinions. :)

Hi I have done. I started them indoors under lights then moved them out as soon as I could. I grew Helix Nebula and Ghost last year that way - yield was incredible. I fed them bat guano too as it goes.
It was quite odd seeing them in my indoor setup :)

O

Orrie

Hey RC

Peppers are a lot like our favorite herb in that you can find a very special mother plant to clone and cross if that is your fancy.

Not all peppers will overwinter or clone well so keep that in mind.

How are your peppers doing ?

Good luck with your endeavors!

O

Orrie

a couple of mine waiting out the cool PNW weather

Last edited:
O

Orrie

The two plants I showed in the previous post are on the left. Pics were taken this past march

picture.php

To save space, I often trim the top and roots. There are seven plants in that 12"L x 5"W x 4" deep oval container below.

picture.php

Betterhaff

Veteran
These weren’t overwintered but I started them way early, as a germ test, and just kept growing them under flouros. Put them outside a couple of weeks ago and they got burnt up a bit, didn’t shelter or harden them off enough. Notice the new growth at the lower nodes in the silhouettes of the larger plants. Sorry, not the best picture.

I’ll do some pruning once they get going a little more and eventually put them in the ground. Caribbean Reds.

Attachments

• Caribe Reds.jpg
    Caribe Reds.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 21

MintyMick

Does anyone know how to keep them from fuiting/ making flowers? Besides pinching off the flowers?

I'm planning on popping some jalapeño, anaheim and bells soon. The last time I did this indiors was last year, and they grew about a foot, started fruiting/ making flowers and didn't really grow much taller.

My intent is to grow them as big as possible, and delay flowering, because it seems that flowering stunts growth as it makes them focus energy on making fruit. I want a pepper bush/trees when I transplant outside in May.

Spaventa

Veteran
jalapeno don't overwinter, others do. some just fruit all winter if you keep them warm and light. my helix nebula did ok, just went dormant but it had done year outside so big enough i didn't want it bigger., not in my kitchen lol